I need help from my illmuzik fam !

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Right basically im on the first year of my audio engineering course, and one of my assesments next wk is to have 15 minutes of music and i have to be able to perform it ! the main problem is that im not a band or woteva so i can't really perform live in the usual sense !? anyone got anygood ideas on how i can blag the performance aspect lol !
i did think maybe i could find a piece of software on the net that would self generate images to my music ?! but that might not be great fun to watch for 15 minutes any ideas?
the music is like just experimental instrumental hip hop stuff like dj shadow type stuff i just did like a 15 minute mini lp !
help lol !
peace

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
Beat on the buckets.. Ol skool style and beatbox w/ a micphrone stand setup (bassline or melody).. do alot of switch up or change up the tempo at varies times...

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
lol i can't beatbox for shit but i know sumone really good so i might get him to do sumthing live and i know sum good percussionists !
as for ableton yea i heard that too i don't use it i use reason but i think they are compatible and a m8 of mine is really good with ableton !
i could use my MPC for bits but not on my own coz sum of the stuff ive done its pretty complex and i wont b able to do it all live !
thanks for all the ideas so far guys !

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i second using the mpc ... i did a live show using an mp before and i didnt think i could do it either but it was actually pretty easy... .. i sampled looooonng sequences ... and programmed them to play in the order that i wanted ... you can use the mutes, and load sound effects, scratches, etc .. on the pads... and just kinda freestyle it ... as long as u got ur tempos and sequences down it should be cool .... just makes sure ur sequences are arranged well and then really all u gotta do is press play .. the u can improvise using the effects, and mutes and stuff. Give it a try .... I really dont see how you could do something in reason and not be able to translate it into a performance on the mpc ... just make sure you got enough memeory to hold all the samples!

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I'd say you could flip a sample live.... while freaking it mopre and more... just looping it first and playing with it... if you have someone who can accompany you... it could be better. (just practice exactly what you wanna do and bang)....

Well, that's an idea, but since you already have your song....

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea theres sum good ideas i might use the MP or i might do a like tutorial thing where i show i made one of the beats its a 15 minute performance so i could show the basics of the beat in there pretty well i guess !

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
sYgMa said:
I'd say you could flip a sample live.... while freaking it mopre and more... just looping it first and playing with it... if you have someone who can accompany you... it could be better. (just practice exactly what you wanna do and bang)....

Well, that's an idea, but since you already have your song....

Ha Syg I was gonna say that same shit!

I once did that at a [show] in some girl's huge basement with like 30 of her friends.

It's actually fun as hell and you keep everyone's attention.

Bring in a mic and sample people in the room. Make everyone a part of your performance and they'll LOVE it. You'll get an A+ too if you do it right and do it quick enough.

Have a set routine ready and an outline in mind...

For example:
1) Have someone bang their fist on the desk for a kick drum sound
2) Have someone slap a pen or a ruler or a notebook for a snare
3) Have someone hum, or just say "ummmm..." or some stupid shit for a note
4) take that note and spread it across the MPC and make diff notes out of it and play something
5) Have some backup sounds immediately there so you can use em if shit doesn't go right
6) Have a basic drum line already in your mind before you do it so when you actually "redo" your beat in class it'll be natural and you'll have a structure to work with
7) Maybe bring a turntable and mixer with a couple records of vocal samples that you have people come up and scratch into your sampler. If they can't scratch, SO WHAT? Just record what you can.
8) Divert away from the structure and come up with some creative shit while doing it
9) See how quickly you can sample everything (even bad quality) and how quick you can turn it around into a beat.

Do this at your house with your brother, cousin, mom, dad and cat and see how easy it is.

Fun for the whole family to enjoy. :clap:

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
dont put too much in it, it is just 15 minutes, that is a very short periode, so make sure the things you do fit together within the time frame.
when you are making music it will feel like you have been up there for 5 minutes.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Relic said:
So how did it go?

it went really well every one seemed to love it ! basically played the beat live off the MPC fucked around with it thru a few effects boxes while the main beat looped off a cd player scratched over the top with my decks and stuf and added extra samples here and there it woz kewl !
cheers for the help !