I need advice, opinions, comments on this please?!

ill o.g.
Whats up Ill Fam? I have sumthin here I need OPINIONS ON OR COMMENTS ON AND MOST OFF ALL ADVICE ON!....

Well I have been into music all of my life I been making beats since I was 12 and I've always loved music from nas to mobb deep to gangstarr etc all around that era ya know? Well anywyas I wanna make this short and to the point but I know its probably not going to happen soo please bare with me ok.
I have been making beats like I said since I was 12 and for awhile I have been into real Hip Hop music if you know what I mean?
Like sampling D.I.T.C (Digging In The Crates) and I have been trying to study the craft of Hip Hop you know.?
I have been studying different producer (Dj Premier, Pete Rock, 9th wonder etc.) and I have been watching different videos on these guys and finding samples they used and listening to how they chopped them up.
I recently ordered Deep Crates 2 DVD and I watched it twice and I learned more than what I did the first time watching it. But latley I havent made any beats because I want to study the art of Real hip Hop like what drums fit what samples or where can I find good drums like live drums or jus ordinary drums you wont find in a library drum pack.
soo I want to ask u guys is it good or bad that I have stopped making beats to study a craft then once I learn it I can get back into making my beats?
I am a hands on kid soo basically the computer is not for me no matter how you put it the computer is not an mpc or an asr-10 they do have their difference but u have to do soo much to a pc to not get latency but on hardware its all right there with a few button presses....
whats your say/input on this? I NEED YOUR GUYS ADVICE!

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
If I may,

I think you are doing exactly what you need to, a break from making music and going into the learning mode will only help craft your knowledge of it. You really shouldnt stress about being away from the machine to aquire a new view of it. Honestly if you always stick to the same thing and never learn how will you get any better? I think you will know when it is time to hop back on the keyboard and mpc

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I agree with K 199%.
You have to step back and get your knowledge on from time to time.
When you step back out you'll be 10x better than you were before.
The one thing I wouldn't do though is to stay away from messing with your music completely during the regrouping process.
Practice on something that you're learning during your quest.
Not making beats per se, but gathering samples and practicing your chops and arrangement, study diff't swing patterns ect.
Tweaking diff't sounds to create your own unique shit.
Do 85% studying and dedicate at least 15% to practicing something that you learned.
I think we all have to take breaks from time to time.
Keeps you from getting burnt out.
If you maintain the luv of this game you'll always come back. GOOD LUCK!

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think a break is inevitable. When you start making beats and learn the craft you soak in a ton of information.

I've been up in beatmaking for 3 years at intervals. I learned a whole bunch a shit and it was kind of overwhelming. I took 2 breaks that ranged from 6 months to a full year without making beats. I was able to pick up where I left off and build on that knowledge.

During those times I studied the production of my favorties beatsmith's and listened to a lot of different music to hear and study the relationships between instruments and different recording techniques, panning et. cetera.

After that study time I found that my beatmaking process is more intuitive. I know what needs to be done.

And Lil' Drama Boi is right. I didn't stop making beats during that time. I keep making beats but only to work on my craft and learn. I wasn't trying to do anything with those beats (I'm still in that mode.)

ill o.g.
Thanx Illfam I knew I could count on ya'll for good advice...Im not gonna stop making beats i was already thinkin bout practicing like when I find dope samples seeing what I could do with em tweaking my drums and I forgot to say Im only gonna be using sampled drums soo I will always have that disitnct sound(Youll know its a Young Heat beat when the drums are gritty and dirty) thanx ya'll If any1/or anymore has any advice comments or anything let me know post em....Thanx again Ill fam!

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well I'd Liked To Address The PC vs Hardware Reference You Made:

1. Its all about preference. With PC, I can easily get the latency, asio, and setup configured for you. You just need a sweet soundcard, and a decent set of monitors. So dont let your pc hold you back from the endless possibilities in the realm of a virtual studio. Also, the costs of ASRs, MPCs, Tritons - COmbined would make a kick butt computer 3-4 times (just something to think about).

With your approach, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a break and learning. However, imo, watching a video of other producers may tend to lean you to make beats the way they do. Like if you hear a HOT beat by premeire that he made on a MPC< you may think you too could make or only make hot beats on one too, dont do that.

Discovery.

Go on youtube, and type in the hardware or software you use, and see how others do it. Maybe ull find something that already suits your style and mode of operations, that will help you to a new level.

Avoid changing programs and formats too, you will find yourself at times getting too technical and worried, wasting energy on stuff that shoulda been otherwise poured into the art of making music.

And always keep in mind, that if this is somethign you love, do it for YOU. no advice, book, tutorial can help you express yourself if you arent doing it from within.

I say most of this becuase, alot of cats i come across make beats for the wrong reason. Alot of people i know get into creative blocks becuase they are so hell bent on selling a beat or fitting in, that they lose theirselves in the process.

ill o.g.
Well really the part about hardware I was really thinkin bout that too...Actually wut im gonna do is build a pc from gorund up, dedicated to music ONLY!...I will be using Cubase for sequencing or nuendo I will be using Battery for drums and samples and reason as a sound module and other vst's....I will stick to what I know and I only took the break because I wanna learn more of whats behind the music ya know how kats are picking samples how they are playing their instruments behind it and what instruments fit that sample(s)....I see catse like 9th wonder having beatin drums comming out of fruity loops but people say the computer dosent sound good but if u know how to mix and eq then the pc will have nuthing to do with ur sound!....Im stickin to software and im gonna build my pc like I was sayin....

TheDragon

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That's what I am doing now. Taking time off to learn this. It will last until June, that's when I graduate. So far, it's helping. Yeah, it's good to take some time off and learn. It will definitely help your game.

Hmmm... Deep Crates 2, I'll go to Fat Beats tomorrow and see if they have it.