I know this has been asked before, but what is tha best approach to selling a Beat?

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
And by this, I mean from copyrights to tha price...tha whole shabang - not jus typical guesses but real experiences only please....

My dilema is how much to start at and then how do i start it off?....Should i also sign tha entire rights over with it? - And if i dont should i obviously copyright it first and then sell it under some kind of contract?...Mind you this is multiple people hitting me up via tha internet in my email that are simply letting me arrange tha price and they basically want to pay what ever it takes....

Let me know what you think, and how to go about it start to finish....

thanks, Steeze

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
It would take more room that is allowed here to answer your questions and tell you what to do from start to finish CORRECTLY. I would suggest you go through an A/R company such as TAXI that will handle your signings, publishing and all the rest of the things that go along with music deals. Yes they will make money off of you (we all know that nothings free) but the knowledge that you'll gain while going through the process will definately be worth it in the long run. You will learn first hand what it takes to do this type of business. Don't get me wrong, I'm not promoting them but they have much to offer and it beats trying to do this all alone on your first REAL attempt. Check them out, let them answer your questions and then you decide if it's worth it or not. They can tell you all the rest. Here's a link to their site and good luck!

www.taxi.com

--dac

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Look the first thing is copyright all of your work, you can send off a volume of beats for like 30 dollars to the Library of congress, archive all of your work and multitracks.......then join a publishing org, ascap or bmi or whatever you like.....get a manager that already has producers if your beats are ok.......if you can't get that then go out and search for some contracts to cover what you want to do, network with other producers just like we do here...obviously the last thing I would do is sell full rights.....unless you get some big cake up front and maybe a percentage of some of the first royalty checks if whoever you sell it to is moving units majorly or the song they use your track on blows or it is on an album with other producers get your splits right.....the thing is to have a good sound business plan.....it's not a lemonade stand and there is good $$$ in production if you can make the right connections and always run your business on paper....not by word......my partner and I license our tracks from a year to 2 years for non exclusive beats those are the cheapest, and this is for people that need the tracks for promos or ep's and they understand that it is just a license and others can have a license to the same track........when we sell exclusively we almost never transfer the copyright and we get money upfront for the track and usually get at least a percentage off of the first royalty check or 1 payment based upon a percentage of sales of the track they use and after that they own the exclusive license and no one else will have the track.....thats just a brief overview.....but if where you live is like my area there are a lot of underground artists that push units out of their trunk by guerilla marketing and in your face sales.......they are not to be underestimated as far as cash they bring in....so we always try to get as much money as possible upfront and when dealing with labels we have at least two other studios we work with that also sell tracks directly to labels and they get BIG money for their tracks minimum 5g's I use them to do businesss because they have direct contacts when each quarter rolls around and they know who has an open project looking for new tracks.....

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Fade - LOL...I guess i did start a thread, dam there goes my memory....But regardless, last time some questions were answered and others really werent.......I think this time i really jus wanted to focus on tha people who have real professional experience from tha cultivation of tha beat to tha actual royalties that i assume you hopefully see - or how ever tha hell it works!?LOL