I have question about you guys may know..

ToneEsharp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I want to join a ASCAP or BMI but in order to become a member it says you have to have a commercially released production. If I have my music up on the internet does this count and could I still become a member?

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
commercially released production = on record, cd etc., which is available to the public! make sure you join before your song is commercially released, in case you plan to release something in the near future!

Good Luck,
Wings

EDIT: i haven't had any actual experience with neither of these two associations, thus, i'm sure that GOD's answer shall be more precise.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
THE ANSWER!

1. WHAT ARE ASCAP AND BMI AND HOW DO I JOIN: http://www.music-law.com/ascapbmi.html

2. The CD-FAQ: http://www.bostondisc.com/cdfaq.html
"The difference between ASCAP and BMI is how they tabulate usage and calculate payments. Of the two, ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers) has the most stringent membership requirements. You must provide them with a professionally packaged recording with you listed as a songwriter in the credits. That and the completed membership application will get you a full membership"

3. this quote is taken from an article called: "Copyright": "In order for you to be paid performance royalties, you need to be a member of a Performing Rights Organization. PRO receives payment for public performances of songs and compositions by negotiating license fees with the users of music (TV, radio, cable, bars, clubs, restaurants, shopping malls, web sites, airlines, etc.) and distributing royalties based upon how the music is used.

In order to be a member as a composer or songwriter, you must be the writer or co-writer of a musical composition or a song that has been commercially recorded (CD, record, tape, etc.), or, performed publicly (club, live concert, symphonic concert or recital venue, college or university, etc.), or, performed in any audio visual or electronic medium (film, television, radio, Internet, cable, pay-per-view, etc.) or published and available for sale or rental".

Good Luck,
Wings

EDIT: notice: "performed in any audio visual or electronic medium (film, television, radio, Internet, cable, pay-per-view, etc.)". INTERNET. this shall answer your question :yes: ;)

ToneEsharp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ok thanks of lot, so It my tracks are played on a college radio station and i sell them online would this qualify?

ToneEsharp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
good looking i am sending my app in today! another question about copy righting all you have to do to get your stuff copy righted is send a letter to the library of congress and pay a fee and it to copy righted is that correct??

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I have been a member of ascap for 4 years, if you can either get something sold with a soundscan or with some kind of retail distribution, if you at least have that and use even Amazon or Cdbaby that might be good enuff......anyhow the main thing about ascap is that you will be able to submit airplay, club or other public spins or performances of your songs along with their own formulas and methods for computing how your music is being played live and on the airwaves....now of course you will not be getting a check if your music isn't getting a reasonable amount of plays.....you will receive a statement itemizing where your music is being played along with a check based upon that.
As a producer(composer) you are entitled to 50% of that as a maximum if your write your own lyrics and put it down over your track you are entitled to the other 50% for a total of 100% of the royalty payment.
Now if you get 1 person that writes to the track they get the other 50%......if there are two rappers that write to your track they split the 50% and each of them get 25% of the 50% due a writer....

Now all of this is outside of any contracts that a label might write up and possibly attempt to override this or just pay you and make you give up any royalty entitlements by signing some agreement.

The other thing is you must register the song and notate who the composer<---thats a term they use we use producer, and who the writer or writers are, ASCAP makes it easy to register your works online.

M

MIKELABZ

listen up

Originally posted by ToneEsharp
good looking i am sending my app in today! another question about copy righting all you have to do to get your stuff copy righted is send a letter to the library of congress and pay a fee and it to copy righted is that correct??

get the copyright forms and send that in .... its a 30-40 dollar charge per CD. so fill up on tracks.

L-Rock