I am getting really bored with hip-hop

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Yes, true story. This is why music buisness is as it is. F@ck the money. Do it because you like it. i know its nearly impossible to get rith of the money, still, this would change everything. This is the same for all genres... In "hip-hop" everybody tryes to make the next trend, ore try to copy dilla and the "great" 90's, there is nearly no originality, were is the art in that. What do YOU want to create in the perfect NOW!?.. People just want fame, money! But we could change it as the game is also, sooo, do you.. Hip Hop has always for me been about creating something, and if i could choose, as we can, i choose to send a good message. What you choose to send/create is up to you...

They call the music BUSINESS a BUSINESS, because all business is about money. Do you know people who work in advertising. Advertising agencies put on a facade about how "funky" and "creative" they are-- when it all comes down to billable hours and retainers. Advertising is equivalent -- if not worse -- in bureaucratic terms than the music business.

Do what you want, but when you can't pay your credit card bill, I bet you thought about money.

G

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
I must admit, however, there was a lot of crappy hip-hop that was released in the nineties. I think we're looking at nineties hip-hop in the same way rock enthusiasts look at the sixties and seventies as the "golden era" of rock.

Good stuff in your post as always. Just wanted to touch on this, as I hear it a lot. Are you saying that the whole golden era topic, no matter the genre, is somewhat of a myth and there is truly no golden era?
I have always believed the hip hop's best period was between 1985-1991. The thing about that era is there were so many factors at play, a lot of which you mentioned. But the main one to me is

Diversity

- Rakim,KRS,Kane,LL,Slick Rick,PE,Geto Boys,NWA,Ice Cube, De La Soul,Stetsasonic, Queen Latifah, X-Clan, Rodney O and Joe Cooley, 2 Live Crew, Ice T, Just Ice, Fat Boys,Run DMC, Kool G Rap, MC Hammer, Kid and PLay, Beastie Boys, Ultra Magnetic, 2 Short, DOC, Biz Markie, Heavy D, MC Lyte,UTFO,Whodini, Audio 2,PRT,Mantronix,EPMD,Jungle Brothers,Steady B.....all of these cats were in regular rotation at major stations. None of them sound anything alike. What other era can boast that?

Last edited:
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
this is the key. even though, some of them were in the same crew, or produced by the same person/people, they still sounded different. in my opinion, that's what's wrong with hip hop/r&b today. all of it sounds alike.

This could have been a radio playlist in the late 80s..and I'm talkin main rotation, not just the Mid day or Drive Home mix.

KDVS

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 85
Do what you want, but when you can't pay your credit card bill, I bet you thought about money. << sure, id probably get a job. I would not sell out my music, but this is me and how i want things to be. You got to many advanced words for me, haha, dont really get what your saying.. :)) that beeing said, i would love to not have money at all in life. To not have to get a job to get money. :) do what you like to do in life, share, give, get back. Would be nice.. Would love to get back to "paradice". Only now we can choose to get there. Maybe a bit deep here now. ;)

i think all genres have their golden eras. The golden era for any genre is when its a new thing, there are lots of ideas, and most of what you can do within that genre is still fresh. What happened to rock music is it became played out, a stereotype of itself. There wasnt really much new ground to cover. Which is when hip hop/rnb started to fill the void. And this all happened at the same time as MTV, the Box, BET(music videos) where at their peak. On the back of the success of music videos the reasonably new artform of hip hop had a massive audience. Built on originality("being fresh"), and diverse because the definitions of hip hop hadnt yet been fully defined so people were free to make hip hop what they wanted it to be. As the years went on it became harder and harder to be original as a lot had already been done, and this is where hip hop(or more so rap) became a stereotype of itself. Also combined with the massively rising costs of sample clearance(due to the success of sampled music as a whole) hip hop started to be more composed and less sampled. And then the diversity died and thats where we are now.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
It's really simple though because ALL music is played out. I believe it's only because of one thing - there's too much. Too many artists putting out too many albums and singles, so we're completely over-saturated with music, that it's watered down the product. The same can be said for movies. Hollywood has run out of ideas so they just remake shit now or do comic book movies.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
i think all genres have their golden eras. The golden era for any genre is when its a new thing, there are lots of ideas, and most of what you can do within that genre is still fresh. What happened to rock music is it became played out, a stereotype of itself. There wasnt really much new ground to cover. Which is when hip hop/rnb started to fill the void. And this all happened at the same time as MTV, the Box, BET(music videos) where at their peak. On the back of the success of music videos the reasonably new artform of hip hop had a massive audience. Built on originality("being fresh"), and diverse because the definitions of hip hop hadnt yet been fully defined so people were free to make hip hop what they wanted it to be. As the years went on it became harder and harder to be original as a lot had already been done, and this is where hip hop(or more so rap) became a stereotype of itself. Also combined with the massively rising costs of sample clearance(due to the success of sampled music as a whole) hip hop started to be more composed and less sampled. And then the diversity died and thats where we are now.

Truth. The "golden era" of hip-hop was a "golden era" because the industry didn't see hip-hop as anything other than a fad. So creativity and freedom was allowed.

When Puffy, Damon Dash and Russell Simmons began commoditizin hip-hop and the labels took the genre seriously as the new form of "pop" music, that's when it all fell.

Honestly, I think the "golden era" of hip-hop was throughout the 80's and into the mid-90's, ending with 2PAC and Biggie's last albums. After that, it was over. The stakes became too high and like all big business, the major industry heads started to seek "hits" rather than dope albums that had a couple hot singles but a solid overall tracklist.

Until 2PAC and Biggie's last album-- do you really think 2PAC would've come out with his own clothing line? Or Biggie with his own cologne? It was about being real to your audience in the streets.

In my opinion Puffy and Russell really made this shit go down the toilet -- as much as they contributed to the popularization of hip-hop. Russell Simmons can act holier than thou and yeah... he started Def Jam with Rick Rubin, but he flipped that shit around.