I am getting really bored with hip-hop

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
The attitudes are so strange, its either...."Everything that isnt boom bap old school sucks" or its "bitches and hoes" with club autotune beats. Man, its driving me nuts. Its time to look forward, hip-hop is an amazing vehicle for change, and to say something, something real about life, not just wanna be pop stars....but to actually change the world. And yet we argue about the dumbest shit. Its time to look forward and create an new honest sound and actually say something!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Dude, the 90's is the best EVER. Everything else sucks.

But yes, I agree. What I don't agree with however, is the new shit that tries to move forward but sounds like something other than Hip Hop. Like Kanye or JayZ.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
theres been a lot of quality releases the last few years, so i cant complain. lots of guys hustling out shit, but you gotta dig for it.

KDVS

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 85
DP said this perfectly...
--------------------
I think we should not put Hip Hop in a box.
Lets create, change, say something!!
lets gooo!!!!

'A Change Of Direction' < this will be my next project!! :)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Really? You don't like Macklemore?

but yea on the mainstream!

no, im not hating on macklemore at all but its 1% in my spectrum. It would not be the first name that would pop up when talking about interesting hiphop. I get it though,macklemore is mainstream as he scored one hit there but the rest of his portfolio will never hit that. I like his song about sneakerfetish even more than his mainstream hit but well.. i think you know what im implying here, meanwhile theres just so much outside the mainstream making they're way through.

Just got the digital copy of my double vinyl release of tony touche's Piecemaker3, return of the 50 mc's...
Listening, im not missing any crap in the mainstream,hmm limited 500 copies of vinyl and i got one..

nope, not missing out, fuck the mainstream..stop wasting your time, youre missing out.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
oh man, Macklemore already has three radio hits off that record

Thrift shop
Same love
Cant Hold Us

He is really blowing up over here and I think it is great! You have to listen to some mainstream for the amazing production. But gosh the lyrical content is so terrible! Oh man I was listening to Return of the 50 the other day, good stuff!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Funny, i think his wings track (shoefetish) is the better one but i don listen to mainstream, just stuff that supposed to sound like hiphop to me... Im not diggin thriftshop, to me that shoefetish track deserverd him some formant credit but still, there's 871623812638172631 other stuff out there that blows away Macklemore... theyre just not mainstream lol

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
It is fairly evident that the hip-hop of today is primarily pop music. The primary discrepancy between today and the nineties which were the purported "glory days" of hip-hop are fairly straightforward:

First, there was actual A&R and talent scouts involved in artist development. Once an artist cleared this hurdle it was on to whether or not the album they made contained hit songs. If it didn't, then it likely wouldn't get the marketing money to push the album from the record company.

This formula filtered out a tremendous amount of garbage artists from having their album even seeing the light of day.

Also, messaging surrounding the release of an album of the publicizing of an artist was extremely tight, since the only forms of media were traditional media outlets like MTV and magazines. This made it possible to control marketing and messaging in the nineties around a core group of artists receiving recognition.

There was less access to the actual hardware and software capable of making hip-hop music at that time, which filtered out the folks that weren't serious, or didn't have people believing in their stuff to pony up money for the recording of an album. This filtered out many folks as well.

I must admit, however, there was a lot of crappy hip-hop that was released in the nineties. I think we're looking at nineties hip-hop in the same way rock enthusiasts look at the sixties and seventies as the "golden era" of rock.

Today, record labels don't develop an artist. They try to find the next person with a buzz, like Chief Keef, give him a couple million and hope to see if he cashes in for them.

I personally think it is rather shitty for artists and producers these days. There's no question Lady Gaga's album would've sold 15-20 million copies domestically if it was 1998. I think she barely cleared three million domestically. Lil Wayne would've likely went eight to possibly 10x platinum on Tha Carter III. LMFAO would have sold an easy three to five million singles of each of their hits if it was the nineties.

I can go on and on, but the financial return on a minor hit just isn't there as it was in the nineties, so a lot of artists and producers are feeding on scraps when it comes to the industry itself.

If you have a fucking problem with hip-hop then why don't you do something about it though? That's what I say. Find an artist. Develop them. Manage their career. Produce them. Talent agents and record companies are HUNGRY for new shit. You just have to do their job for them. If you don't have money, find someone to invest in your management proposal.

I can't tell you how many times I hear, "I need a new Justin Bieber, there are so many good-looking folks who can sing and dance but don't have a hit song to save their life." Well fucking make that song. Or "I wish I had the next 2PAC, someone who the streets can relate to in a way that 50 Cent did with GRODT."

Find that fucking artist and spend your time producing them. Follow new trends, too. Add some new shit, make it cool. Make it marketable. Create a pitch deck on why you think your artist will provide a return for a record company or agency.

Get fame first and the money will follow. That's my motto.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
It is fairly evident that the hip-hop of today is primarily pop music. The primary discrepancy between today and the nineties which were the purported "glory days" of hip-hop are fairly straightforward:

First, there was actual A&R and talent scouts involved in artist development. Once an artist cleared this hurdle it was on to whether or not the album they made contained hit songs. If it didn't, then it likely wouldn't get the marketing money to push the album from the record company.

This formula filtered out a tremendous amount of garbage artists from having their album even seeing the light of day.

Also, messaging surrounding the release of an album of the publicizing of an artist was extremely tight, since the only forms of media were traditional media outlets like MTV and magazines. This made it possible to control marketing and messaging in the nineties around a core group of artists receiving recognition.

There was less access to the actual hardware and software capable of making hip-hop music at that time, which filtered out the folks that weren't serious, or didn't have people believing in their stuff to pony up money for the recording of an album. This filtered out many folks as well.

I must admit, however, there was a lot of crappy hip-hop that was released in the nineties. I think we're looking at nineties hip-hop in the same way rock enthusiasts look at the sixties and seventies as the "golden era" of rock.

Today, record labels don't develop an artist. They try to find the next person with a buzz, like Chief Keef, give him a couple million and hope to see if he cashes in for them.

I personally think it is rather shitty for artists and producers these days. There's no question Lady Gaga's album would've sold 15-20 million copies domestically if it was 1998. I think she barely cleared three million domestically. Lil Wayne would've likely went eight to possibly 10x platinum on Tha Carter III. LMFAO would have sold an easy three to five million singles of each of their hits if it was the nineties.

I can go on and on, but the financial return on a minor hit just isn't there as it was in the nineties, so a lot of artists and producers are feeding on scraps when it comes to the industry itself.

If you have a fucking problem with hip-hop then why don't you do something about it though? That's what I say. Find an artist. Develop them. Manage their career. Produce them. Talent agents and record companies are HUNGRY for new shit. You just have to do their job for them. If you don't have money, find someone to invest in your management proposal.

I can't tell you how many times I hear, "I need a new Justin Bieber, there are so many good-looking folks who can sing and dance but don't have a hit song to save their life." Well fucking make that song. Or "I wish I had the next 2PAC, someone who the streets can relate to in a way that 50 Cent did with GRODT."

Find that fucking artist and spend your time producing them. Follow new trends, too. Add some new shit, make it cool. Make it marketable. Create a pitch deck on why you think your artist will provide a return for a record company or agency.

Get fame first and the money will follow. That's my motto.

True. Fucking. Story.

KDVS

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 85
Yes, true story. This is why music buisness is as it is. F@ck the money. Do it because you like it. i know its nearly impossible to get rith of the money, still, this would change everything. This is the same for all genres... In "hip-hop" everybody tryes to make the next trend, ore try to copy dilla and the "great" 90's, there is nearly no originality, were is the art in that. What do YOU want to create in the perfect NOW!?.. People just want fame, money! But we could change it as the game is also, sooo, do you.. Hip Hop has always for me been about creating something, and if i could choose, as we can, i choose to send a good message. What you choose to send/create is up to you...