how loud should a?

that kid

Keep Diggin'
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
snare be in comparasion to the drum....should a snare be so loud and clear when listening to the beat you hear that sound the most. i can listen to my beats but don't know where the levels of the drum snare hi hat should be. any tips or tricks anyone got would be nice...maybe it just comes with experience or what you perfer......that kid

"my styles like a pussy wid AIDS, you don't wanna fuck wit it" copywrite 78

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
I think it's just a matter of personal preference. Personally I like loud Snares, and discreet hihats. (Tip to check drums volume : pay attention to the volume master in your sampler/sequencer/mixer (whatever you're using) and check the fluctuations between sequences that contain drums and those that don't, it tends to be a good indicator.

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
In most 'boom-bap' kinda hiphop the kick and snare are very prominant - which is what gives the, er, 'boom-bap', but there aren't really any rules as such. To a certain extent it depends on the song, and the other elements in it, as well as how much its meant to 'bang.'

BAUSMAN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
my advice would be to listen to some of your favorite songs and try to immitate the sound... not to bite their style but to get a ear for the sound u want

that kid

Keep Diggin'
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
thanks...

i'll try some of these techniques. check my beats in the recent showcase.....-that kid

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
BAUSMAN said:
my advice would be to listen to some of your favorite songs and try to immitate the sound... not to bite their style but to get a ear for the sound u want

People are so scared to bite other producers. I think that you should go and BITE THE PRODUCER's technique or whatever. Me most of the time, when I try to imitate a producer I end up doing something different , strange ain't it? Cuz even if you imitate, you will imitate it the way you are, so it will have you own personality to it and many time people will go and say: ohh that sounds like a "name" beat, but..it's different too.

Concerning the snare, it's really like you want it to. But I notice recently, that if you have a piano melody, having your snare kinda melt with the piano to the point where you hear it but not to much, makes a good sound to the ears. lol

Corpz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
its all personal preference and it all depends on the track. personally i like my snare slightly lower than the kick and my hi hats under that, but make sure the sample or the melody does not get overshadowed by ur percussion.

PhleX

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea most beats released on tracks commercially have loud snmares quite suprising if u actually listen they are usually the loudest samples in the sequence... just what i have found anyway

e.porter

eyez all hazy...
ill o.g.
philsiarri said:
Personally I like loud Snares, and discreet hihats.

i'm the same way. i think the beat sounds better that way, but like he said it's a matter of personal preference.

Steel Side

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i agree with qwerty to a certain extent. Even if you do bite their style, you are not them, and can't reproduce what they do because you're not there with them while they're mixin. Kanye bit Dre's whole drum style. boom boom pap boom boom pap, but it doesn't sound like dre because of the way he mixes and produces it. well said qwerty.

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
depends on how sharp the snare is too. sometimes i'll be listenin to shit and my ear gets that sharp little pain from each snare. maybe i gotta get off this ipod. haha.