how long hav u guys been makin beats?

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
ive been makin beats 4 bout 2.5yrs now, from about when i was 14, using audio logic n importin sounds from ejay, every1 said my beats were indian, or horror, i made sum wierd stuff. bout 5months l8a i moved to reason, cool edit wit a midi keyboard from a youth club, dats all ive got up 2 now wit a mini disk 4 recordin samples from radio etc...in my summa holiz afta my exams , ill look 4 a job, make sum $$ n buy some hardware, jus 2 start havin a setup dat aint jus virtual.

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I began when I was 14 too. But that's 9 years ago. I started by fooling around with a (now) very old version of cakewalk. Doing weak midi stuff. 1 year later I moved to Fast TrackerII. DOS driven power sampler/sequencer (not that great really...). Then came Acid with it's loop stretching ability.

at that point, four years ago, I got a mac and began getting some real equipement and pro software. Cubase, then cubase with reason, then ableton live. some reference monitor, midi controler, good usb audio interface, a laptop, good reference headphone, an old ass turtable. That's it I guess. In the last 4 years, I did 4 independant cd and a mixtape.

C

Copenhagen

Ah shit, I remember producing in FastTracker...damn that program seems so weak today...but was just so easy to use.

I've only been producing steadily the last 3 years or so. Before that it was only once in a while cause my time was spent Dj'ing.

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've been messing around with making beats for about two years now. Over the last six months or so I've become more and more serious, to the point where it is now the center of my universe.

CamCreationz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Ive been into music all my life.
Nobody in my family is a musician but somehow, from some foreign realm, I was given the gift of music.
Ive been using software to make beats for a good 3-4 years now.
My first experience with beat making was in the 8th grade on an old as KORG sequencer. When I first got my PC I would record my voice beatboxing, and layer it to make some insane Bobby McFerrin type joints. Then Fruity Loops came to my life....

Ive never been the same since..

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I been kind of making beats since i was 17 im 23 now but i feel i started all over again since i got all new gear last year cause its a who different world now....new ways to look at doing music unlike my good days where i had so many limits.

milLion

buildin'
ill o.g.
6 years and still going

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Copenhagen, you started off on a tracker too? Damn, I thought I was the only one! I used impule tracker however.. don't remember how long ago that was!

fiz

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
that's how mixmaster mike got his name (according to him in the movie "scratch") great documentary if you haven't seen it by the way

C

Copenhagen

Originally posted by Pug
Copenhagen, you started off on a tracker too? Damn, I thought I was the only one! I used impule tracker however.. don't remember how long ago that was!

The wild thing was that FastTracker was shareware.
I've even done mixtapes in it...damn, this whole thing got me thinking many years back.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
started making beats when i was 18 turning 19 so the end of 1999 on a computer got my 1st equipment in the summer of 2000 being going eva since its been a long road but i still got a loooong way to go, but i feel i have the dedication, determination and musical vision to get to where i wanna be at....eventually

Lo-Key

ill o.g.
My first beats were MODs, one ov my friends found a program to make beats with so we made a tape, then bought an ASR10. The sequencer sucked so we used cakewalk to sequence the beats. Then from there just upgraded the equipment. Its been about a 9 year process. And who could forget Hammerhead?

D

database

since im 14, on fasttracker 2, now 20 and own a lil homestudio

i still use fasttracker sometimes, just to see if with more skills u can get more out of fasttracker

members online