how long do you normally spend on a track

O

ola

Man there are times when i make a beat in like 2 days then if i don't do anything with it 2 or 3 days or even weeks later i think of something to put into it......i usually think of ideas at work and write it on paper so to speed up the process but sometimes it can depend on the individual or the style of the beat that u are attempting to make. It could take me an hour to come up with something then on the other hand it may take me a week to start and finish a beat.

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
When you new to the game and learning the craft and your tools. It takes me a week to get a decent beat going.

g@Vin c@$h

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Man, I can make a good beat in a day no problem, but, if i wait a couple weeks and listen to it everyday i will make that beat absolutely amazing. On average to make a bangin beat it takes me anywhere from 2 days to 4 weeks. It all depends on my creative process.

B

Boltz

I find that when I've got something good going I can't stop. If I put a beat on hold for a couple days and come back to it I just can't get back in the swing of it. Then that file usually just sits on my HD with the hundreds of other half ass tracks. BUT if I'm really into something it falls into place quickly and will be "finished" in about 6-12 hours.
Are songs ever really finished?

def1nition

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It depends on what type of track I'm doing to do anything good it will take me like 1 or 2 days tweaking the sounds finding the right samples and getting the right groove if I don't quantize the track. I can do a track in 30-45 minutes but they ussually don't sound too good, I ussaully end up using a lot of preset sounds and loading drums from the internet. I'd say just focus on making the best tracks you can make 2 weeks is a little long but when a&r's and artists are listening to tracks they're looking for good tracks not quantity they'd rather you have a C.D. of five good tracks than 30 mediocre tracks.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
15 minutes -1hour , I crank out 20-30 completed beats a week on average a bad week I might finish 10 beats if i am in a loss for ideas and time...it all depends on how many samples and sounds I have at my disposal...plus I keep all of my dopest drum patterns and have them ready so all I have to do is change tempo or switch out a sound...If you make a sample track though that takes about 4hours to 2 days to let the idea of what I want to do with the sample evolve to the finished track.....

incogneeto

J.B. LEGACY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
bigdmakintrax said:
15 minutes -1hour , I crank out 20-30 completed beats a week on average a bad week I might finish 10 beats if i am in a loss for ideas and time...it all depends on how many samples and sounds I have at my disposal...plus I keep all of my dopest drum patterns and have them ready so all I have to do is change tempo or switch out a sound...If you make a sample track though that takes about 4hours to 2 days to let the idea of what I want to do with the sample evolve to the finished track.....

i agree...i can crank out bout 10 beats a week...but if your doing alot of sampling, it takes a lil longer cause you have to chop it up and let ideas come to u...takes a lil longer.......but i can bang out homemade beats with no sampling in no time...like 1 hr n im set

XpLiCiiT

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
It really depends what kind of mood im in but it usually takes me about 3 days to finish a whole track but if i had more time i can make like 3 beats in a day.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
Tha longest i have spent on a beat is probaly 3 day...thats just tha main meoldies and drums....for me though my favorite beats of mine usually only taken me a few minutes.......i was told if u find urself tryin to hard to make a beat hot it is best to leave it alone so recently i have kinda been followin that policy

g@Vin c@$h

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
20-30 a week?
If you ever got a deal you'd be the super producer from hell. Or all your beatz would end up sounding alike like lil john.

SupaStar

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I follow you too classic, over the years I have been making beats. I have never worked on one beat for long, I believe there are just times when a beat aint half ready to be completed or either at the point of production I just dont have what the beat needs or fits what i'm imagining. I still have tracks from three years ago that I still have not completed, but I keep them around and tinker with them, and nine out of ten times, I end up making several brand new track just from the inspirations of an old skool. Because of the melodies in my older tracks, I am able to just by listening to them, pin point and compose tighter, more significant melodies. I have close to over 1000 incomplete tracks and I believe these are my milestones that signifies where and what I need to improve upon, and without them I believe I wouldn't be able to super-produce or get better each time I make a new track.

erkl

Funky Walker Dirty Talker
ill o.g.
i can go for weeks on a track in nuendo

if im on the mpc though, due to limited mixer/memory i just smoke doobs and loop shit up and maybe write rhymes, although the more im using it, the more complicated and extensive my sampling gets, lotsa fun!

Y

youngritz

it all depends on my situation, mood, &etc. if im on hardware I can knock tracks out usually in like 20-30 minutes when I go to studios. I got software at home so I just take my time, cuz when u payin for studio time, time is money and i don't have alot of that. My beats sound better though when I in a rush at a studio and my brain goes into super producer mode or somethin. I wonder why?