How illegal is this?

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
PEoPLE Do THiS ALL THE TiME.MoST NoTABLY THE "RAP PHENoMENoM" CD'S. Do YoU HoMiE.CiTY BoY!i!

M

MIKELABZ

half the producers out there would get sued if the people in charge actually cared but it seems like nowadays acapellas are widely acceptable to use on mixtapes just as long as they're not being sold in record porportions.... besides i think tupac and biggie would be proud to know that their tracks are on cruise control with the constant recycling of their vocals....

L-Rock

Cheo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Just be sure to include "For Promotional Use Only" on the mixtape, so that if someone accuses you of making a profit you can plead ignorance.

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Cheo
Just be sure to include "For Promotional Use Only" on the mixtape, so that if someone accuses you of making a profit you can plead ignorance.

yo i thought about that shit...could i do tha same thing with an album concernin samples? you know like local slangin/radio play?

Medicine Man

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
Technically its illegal to use any copyrighted material with out the artisits concent, even if you don't sell it! But DJ's use acapella's on different beats on there mixtapes all the time, so as long as you don't make a ton of scrilla off of it I wouldn't trip.

F

Fatha Ramzee

It is good to put for promotional use only, but it is also a good idea to add that this mixtape is to promote dj skills and not for reproduction or parody of music, some dj's do that.....also as far as the accapellas no one really pays it much attention until it becomes a hit like the biggie and 50 cent joint then it became an issue of the label giving permission because there was money involved and the streets wanted it and radio ate it up......but regardless just do you, and if it brings you attention, I think thats what we want anyway go 4 it......and if the companies don't like it they would do a cease on it first....

members online