How Far Back Do You Go?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
This has really been on my mind lately...I'm curious to know how far back do you all go when digging for the main samples that you use in your beats? Do you have a "sample criteria", or do you use whatever you like whether it be 20 years old or 20 days old? The reason this has been on my mind is because lately I've been passing up some dope samples because they "felt" too new to use. Does that matter to you guys or not?

Usually I don't go into the 2000's at all unless it's a vocal sample. Then we had the "disco period" (roughly 1975 to 1980) which is all garbage (as far as beat making in my opinion). So what do you all do?

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
Thats a good one dac. When it comes to drum sounds or loops im as recent as Sade "Solider of Love". Dont sleep on the disco, those are the easiest to find good loops if your lazy and dont want add or chop anything.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Ok I guess I'm very biased when it comes to disco...lol! I hate disco basslines, disco drums, and the sounds & effects. hahaha, I'm gonna have to work on that one.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I prefer stuff from the late 60's, and 1970's in general. Some 80's stuff as well.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
@skid - you do a great job at it! When I first started checking your music, I thought it was all composed. Takes talent to pull it off the way you do it.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Yeah, there's no time period that I look for....But I do find most of my stuff in the 70s and 80s.

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I tend to stay away from new shit. For me, i try to fuck with shit thats pre '93...and go back as far as possible. Disco is actually pretty fire shit to sample..and all disco derives from funk so I fucks with all that too. I guess my whole concern with sampling new shit (besides vocal bits) is that its too fresh in peoples minds. Normally when I dig, I try to find artists that had all the talent and no support during their careers and never blew up. Thats the shit I love to flip, makes me feel like Im givin them ups and respect for their creativeness and skill.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
This is how I generally do it: For my filtered bass lines you can use almost any time period. Just as long as the bass line is phat and you use the "Low End Theory" to filter it. Sounds dope. As far as samples, I usually search in the late 60s-70s (most genres excluding Polka, C&W and Zydeco) Never found any samples worth using there. Jazz, Funk, Soul, Classical, Rock, etc. But I would like to add that you shouldn't limit your sampling though. Sometimes a dope sample is really old, sometimes it's brand new. It's all sampling so, it doesn't matter how old it is just as long as it's dope when you are done with it.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
is it considered sampling if the song was written in the pre-recording era? For example, Nas- I can

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
is it considered sampling if the song was written in the pre-recording era? For example, Nas- I can
i believe those are "public domain" songs, and u can use those without any repercussions.. bcuz they are centuries old... i dont know how old the Nas melody is though.

I just dig I don't look for specific dates
yep, the same here... i think ur selling urself short if u do it any other way.

da relic

members online