How do you sample?

damird

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I use Logic 7 Express, but it doesn't matter... let's discuss the ways you sample. I'm trying to solidify my approach and therefore I need some input from the vets. Lets hear it.

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Play some weird sounding shit at 160bpm with my MIDI controller and Hypersonic, export it, re-import the WAV time stretch it to like 90BPM, maybe chop it up, flip it in the FPC. Job done.

Giving away my secrets here ;)

EDIT: sorry didn't realise this was in Logic, I use FL but the fundamentals are the same.

~NW~

dbit

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm curious to hear peoples methods too. One of the most obvious is to chop the sample and load the chops into the ESX24. Unfortunately logics audio editing facilities don't seem partial to this process. I can create multiple regions out of a single audio file/sample, but can't find the command for converting these regions to separate audio files.

I would think there should be a really clear workflow for taking a sample, chopping it, and transfering it to the ESX24, but I haven't found it yet.

Anybody?

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Yep, I have ultrabeat.

I haven't done it yet, but after going through MPC and Ultrabeat tutorials, the Ultrabeat synth sampler can do almost everything the MPC can. So i am trying to convert over to doing things exclusively in Logic and using a controller to trigger samples.

But there is something about using the MPC that seems to give you an edge over software for sampling.

1- I pull vinyl into the computer using my audio interface and a basic wav editor. Or I chop already converted audio form Vinyl blogs.

2- I use Sound Edit to Chop out breaks and then Recycle to make Rex files to use in Reason but then I take that same chop and export it so it can be MPC ready.

3- Then I use the MPC to arrange a beat using the samples or I use the Dr. Rex or the Redrum module in Reason to arrange a beat.

I am trying to use the Ultrabeat the same way I use the MPC but with the MPC you can quickly load up sounds and have them all quickly available to sequence instead of having to load each sound one at a time into the Ultrabeat sampler.

dbit

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks for your suggestions.

My main problem is that I don't have recycle. I was hoping there was a quick way to convert regions to audio files in logic and transfer them to the ESX24.

I don't use reason so I can't help you there. I know in Logic's ESX24 there is a menu command to load multiple samples which opens a very straight forward dialog box to add or delete samples to the load cue.