How do you know if its Rare

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I was wondering how you know if a record is rare? Can you find rare records in the bargain bin ($1) or are they usually expensive? If your at a store jus flippin thru vinyl how do u kno whats rare? obviously names like Isley Brothers and shit aren't but how do you know abou the other stuff? Thanks

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ic thanks for the replys in response to relic - i dont kno shit about shit - obviously i know people like curtis mayfield, isley bros, fatback, etc but those people have been sampled to death

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Aslo keep in mind that just because it's rare, doesn't mean it's good.

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
obviously - i was watchin a DITC documentary and they kept sayin tht they flip on rare stuff. i think thats kinda stupid - you can flip anything you want - even if it has been looped by somone else im sure you can flip it diff

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
obviously - i was watchin a DITC documentary and they kept sayin tht they flip on rare stuff. i think thats kinda stupid - you can flip anything you want - even if it has been looped by somone else im sure you can flip it diff

If it's been done before who cares... Flip whatever you want. You're learning right now so practice on whatever sounds dope to you. If you keep at it for a while you will start to know what is more rare and what are good labels to check for. Only you can know what samples you love to flip so your digging will lead you there. Other people can tell you rare records but they may not be what you are looking for... that's all up to you to dig and find whatever inspires you.

Peace.

The Mastermind

This Illuminati Be Illin'
ill o.g.
Some early Isleys is rare, so is some Motown. The right Motown 45 will net you a couple of grand. Never knock back a yellow label Atlantic.

Even the biggest labels have rare stuff on them. Sometimes they'd sign some crazy obscure artist and then never promote them. Some 1960s soul on Columbia is worth insane dollars. And Columbia was a huge label.

To know what's rare you've got to spend time educating yourself. Read some music history books, check the highest priced records on Ebay or spend some time on Popsike.

But like some people said, it might be rare but that doesn't mean it's worth sampling.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Agree with mastermind, it takes a lot of research and experience to know what's what. Popsike and e-bay are good tools, but a lot of the time, the prices are inflated and don't always show the true value, so do lots of research!!

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i live in detroit so fuck yes for the motown shit - i love the kinda shit black milk does... but i think my production style will be more like DITC - even tho my fav producer is Premo

The Mastermind

This Illuminati Be Illin'
ill o.g.
thaprecepta, I live far from Detoit, Australia in fact, but it's Detroit sounds I seek above all else. Especially all the smaller soul labels, like Revilot or Golden World, that's where you can hear the Motown musos at their rawest.

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thaprecepta, I live far from Detoit, Australia in fact, but it's Detroit sounds I seek above all else. Especially all the smaller soul labels, like Revilot or Golden World, that's where you can hear the Motown musos at their rawest.

I was born in sydney, australia its a nice place - even though I lived there for two years ha. I'm goin back on my senior spring break trip next year.

Any one ever make a thread showing all the vinyl they own in list or pics ???
haha my pics would be embarrasing - about 20 lps only and 15 of em are for djing. My rents wont let me "waste money" on any records or an mpc. they think savin up for some really good laptop for college is better even tho they kno i already have more than enough money to buy one. whatever, i love my rents :)

I'm hoping to buy some ill foreign vinyl - such as european and japanese shit as well as soul music

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I was wondering how you know if a record is rare? Can you find rare records in the bargain bin ($1) or are they usually expensive? If your at a store jus flippin thru vinyl how do u know whats rare? obviously names like Isley Brothers and shit aren't but how do you know about the other stuff? Thanks

yes, you can find jewels in the dollar bins. do a internet search of the artist and song. If you can't find it for sale any where there's a good chance it hasn't been re released. That would in most cases make it rare. I look for records the were previously "unreleased". Artist who only released one album in there career will probably be classified as rare as well. There are a few determining factors.

members online