• warzone round 1 voting begins in...

What do you prefer to use for sampling?

• Mp3s

• Vinyl

• "I'll sample the shirt off your back!" Khrysis

Results are only viewable after voting.

chrisg

Battle Points: 1
I've been watching the rhythm roulette series on youtube and it seems like most of the OG producer/beat makers pull their samples straight from records. i feel like thats the "TRUE OG" way of sampling and crate digging but as for me, i don't have the funds for all the vinyl, equipment, and storage space for everything required to pull samples that way. i recall watching a bunch of 9th wonder interviews and he was saying he started off and created a bunch of his hits with just fruity loops and most of the producers during that time would hate on him for not using a MP or ASR and strictly PC. my favorite story from 9th was when he said when he was in the studio with jay z working on the black album, all he had was a IBM thinkpad. he also said it don't matter what you use to make beats, its the man behind the machine. I'm just saying, my version of "crate digging" is hours on youtube searching for the right song/sample. its easy and convenient but i can see how some people would hate on that. but maybe I'm just overthinking it. how do you guys feel about this subject?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I know what you're saying. I used to take a lot of samples from vinyl and I still do, but now I lean a little more towards YouTube as it's more convenient and has pretty much everything. It doesn't matter where the samples come from, I mean really who cares? It's like right now a lot of people are making beats with Maschine for example, including myself, but I'll never hate on someone who's still using an MPC 2000. If the music is good, that's all that matters.

Yeah I remember with 9th Wonder when he first came out, that's all anyone heard about was that he was using Fruity Loops LOL. It was funny, but hey, his beats were dope and that's what got him further ahead.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
I gravitate between both mediums these days, some vinyl I just can't afford.... not with the ridiculous price of some records these days.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
At this point, I've recorded sounds with my iphone and have sampled that with no ridicule.

Around the time I joined this message board in 2005, sampling MP3 was borderline frowned upon in the online producer communities, and alot of people preached "vinyl or nothing" while there was some leniency towards lossless .wav sampling.

As @Fade pointed out, youtube is much more convenient and digging on youtube is kind of a new art form on its own (like crate-digging) just do the the size of the database.

I say, sample what you want!

GET2THAPAPER

Producer{CEO@Get2ThaPaper}
The rules r there r no rulez

If u like it go w it. Producers got too many rules. They think Dj Premier or Dre would do something a certain way but they don't really know. They might even sample from a cellphone lol!! Just do u

Last edited by a moderator:

Skemez.518

Beatmaker
I never really sampled from vinyl. Maybe about 20 times. YouTube is more convenient in my opinion. I say a dope sample is a dope sample. All that matters us how u flip it. That's what really counts

LbrT

MP3s are a more accessible way to sample and there is just a lot more possibility. But I started sampling off dollar crates vinyls and what comes out is way more creative in my case. I'll still flip samples that I found online tho, I like the possibility to do both. BTW I sample 1-5$ vinyls using a 100$ USB turntable so it's really not that expensive !

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Yeah, I would sample anything, it didn't matter. l would sample vinyl and sometimes thought it was just too clean. I also sampled with a mic and an alarm clock radio and thought it was perfect. For me its whatever floats your boat, my favorite was the dirty sample, clean beat combo...

DCtheKid

I think ripping Vinyl as WAV files is optimal but you can find pretty high quality mp3's too. I use Vinyl 95% of the time and use mp3 if it's some rare shit. The compressed nature of MP3's turns me off to using them but let's be serious, most people can't tell the difference lol

I've been watching the rhythm roulette series on youtube and it seems like most of the OG producer/beat makers pull their samples straight from records. i feel like thats the "TRUE OG" way of sampling and crate digging but as for me, i don't have the funds for all the vinyl, equipment, and storage space for everything required to pull samples that way.

It's not that expense. I just google-searched usb turntables, so you can record the songs on to your PC, and they run about 80-100. Not to mention that the songs you hear on Youtube are only a fraction, of a fraction of that artists catalogue. I use Youtube mainly to search for similar artists when I find a record I wanna flip.

When you're done with the records you can sell them to stores or on eBay or throw them out.

Last edited:

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
throw them out?
inbox for my address I'll give you a dollar apiece

to OP, my problem with it is the time involved...
seems the first hour is just spent getting past those dumb collections of previously sampled well known joints...
I want the raw untouched and I guess since this kind of digging is new to me, I just gotta persist, but yeah, I sampled everything from vinyl to vhs. ps3 to cable tv
no limits