How do you decrease latency time when doing computer and keyboard music?

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
I have a decent 2.53 p4 PC running XP, but for some reason I can't get the latency below 50ms. So it really sucks trying to use vst's I have like Lounge Lizard and Moog Modular. I was wondering if any of you that use compuers to make music have any ideas.

Thanks in advance...

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
I'm using Vst's soft synths like Reason, Lounge Lizard, Moog Modular, Fm7 etc. I'm using my MOTU 828 as the soundcard interface and my Korg Triton to use as the controller. But since there is latency the sound from the Vst's hits a little after I hit the notes with my fingers. Its impossible to compose with the latency.

Does anyone else have this issue?

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
hardboiled said:
I'm using Vst's soft synths like Reason, Lounge Lizard, Moog Modular, Fm7 etc. I'm using my MOTU 828 as the soundcard interface and my Korg Triton to use as the controller. But since there is latency the sound from the Vst's hits a little after I hit the notes with my fingers. Its impossible to compose with the latency.

Does anyone else have this issue?

You have to address that issue through Reason... There should be a buffer length setting you can go to, to fix that problem... I have all the same plug-in's, use my triton for a controller, but i use fruity loops and there is a buffer length adjustment in the midi panel...

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
what program you using the VST's in ? cuz i got the same problem in Cubase but have no problem in Reason I guess it could be cuz i have a Stock Sound Card ?

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
I use vst's like absynth, lounge lizard, and reason.
Thanks for the advice... I did some of what you suggested. Like increased the buffer settings and fiddled around with the ASIO vs DX setting...this got the latency down a lot. BUT it still makes a difference when make music. I also use my MPC to sequence everything including vst's and things just sound off and out of sync. Do you guys just fix that afterwards by moving the wave files forward??

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
It's the soundcard, some are less latency than others.
I'm running a 2496, it has 11ms latency, my old one Isis was 80ms, much better.
But the timing on the drum machines are super instant, you hit the key it's right there...

benny beatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36
dahkter said:
It's the soundcard, some are less latency than others.
I'm running a 2496, it has 11ms latency, my old one Isis was 80ms, much better.
But the timing on the drum machines are super instant, you hit the key it's right there...

why is that??

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Thanks basic. I pretty much have no latency now. If only I could remember what the hell I did. lol... I know I played around with the buffer settings. If anyone has problems that's a good place to start. Thanks for the helpful advice everyone.

504MusicMan

ill o.g.
hardboiled said:
I have a decent 2.53 p4 PC running XP, but for some reason I can't get the latency below 50ms. So it really sucks trying to use vst's I have like Lounge Lizard and Moog Modular. I was wondering if any of you that use compuers to make music have any ideas.

Thanks in advance...

Suprise no one ask this question, Are You Using A "Zero Latency Driver"?

Meaning are you using a "ASIO" driver?

And if the answer is yes, you still must have your software configured to use this driver.
Most times you have to make the setting changes manually.

Like in Cubase SX you have to go to the Devices section and make sure its not using the "Direct X" driver instead of the ASIO.

So make sure 1st you own a Sound Card with a ASIO driver.

2nd Make sure its the Latest / Greatest driver from the Sound Card Manfuc.

3rd Make sure the Buffer settings are all set properly.

4th Run Win XP in "Classic Mode" to free up a lot of Resources

5th Look at coppin a utility like "Free Ram XP Pro 1.40" to manage
and stay on top of maxmizing the amount of free ram you have avail.
while doing your music production

I got a slower machine then you stated and i have NO LATENCY. I had issues but once i did all the above , i was up and running Beautifully!

One