How do you choose your Drums?

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Whats up guys, an gals, long time to see!

I've been away in my fortress of solitude getting sober and becoming more familiar with my creative concepts, beatmaking, as-well as my equiptment.. and I am about to have tons of fun with these samples and intricate way's i'm going to use them with the concpets i've designed and now.... and now i'm about to get too it and orchastrate the plans out.. hence the drums.

In the past I have taken drum samples from the internet, records, live recordings here (hand claps, fingersnaps, hitting the desk), and such... but I also realize that for me personally the drums and percussion are going to outline my samples, lyrical concepts, composition, within the beat-creation process; so what i'm asking all my old friends, and new-comer's alike, is have you ended-up using a specific process in choosing/creating your drums? Do you reverb them generally? what types of records? drums drums drums

whats your recipe?

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
when i started out i also layered my drums, nowadays i rarely do that anymore (headroom), but i think with good layering and eqing you can get some good flavours though.
i am working at an more uptempo beat at the moment and the thought struck me why not make some own drumloops at a high bpm, export them and reuse it in a slower track, too get more swing going and more 'tricks' in it going. Have too try it out still though!

O

open mind

depends what i want to achieve with them and whats their role in the track with the rest of it.if i want them dominant or not if i want them wet or crisp or wuteva it really depends on the mood and track atmosphere.

ill o.g.
I pick 1 or 2 I like based on the sample's sound and feel

Then I layer on top of that based on what I feel is missing from those base drum sounds

Usually the process of actually deciding involves me going through my drumset and playing around til I find something that works, but as my library expands I'll be looking for ways to speed this process up.

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Randomly.

I got too many drums to worry about which ones imma use...

i sift thru a kit..and find something that works...

i really dont spend too much time thinking about characteristics and detail...not conciously atleast...

percussion wise..i use the same sets...so thats easy and familiar for me

In-Dent

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I generally use "fillers", and make a drum pattern. Then after the sample/melody is played out I will either replace these "fillers" or eq them to enhance the track. In my opinion the drums always have to fit the mood of the song.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
nice advice, I was wanting not one person's method(s) but many and that's what i got.. a nice illmuzikcrossection! i heard pete rock saying that he gets all(most) his from albums so it had me wondering/

i've started school and work fulltime (bionanotechnology, which is like 10 years in all) and have never been this involved with my sober self or so dedicated on the brink of desolution. It was nice to hear from Danson, Relic, and Ash.. and everyone else. i miss you all. dont change the channel guys cause i expect you too be here when i need you. me=likewise if you needme.. you were my brothers and sisters when i needed you and still are and will be because where i live, and probably where you live as-well, there are few like us.

edit
I thought Dason was Datson(pancake bunny) but was wrong.. nice too see you too D

alkota

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I usually choose drums that go with the sample/melody... If im using a really dusty record im gunna use some crunchy drums... if the sample is weak, im gunna add a nice smack (snare) and heavy kick and let that drive the beat vs. the sample...

But overall Ill just rough draft the beat with a basic kick and snare, hi hat... and change that up after the skeleton is done

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Ash Holmz said:
having a wide variety of good crisp samples to begin with and layering them propoerly

I agree 100.. And what Rig has said, layering sounds.. I have come up with the illest drum sounds from eqing and layering.. That way you can just kind of taylor the snare/kick/hi hat to the sample...

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
eXampuL_oNe said:
Ash Holmz said:
having a wide variety of good crisp samples to begin with and layering them propoerly
I agree 100.. And what Rig has said, layering sounds.. I have come up with the illest drum sounds from eqing and layering.. That way you can just kind of taylor the snare/kick/hi hat to the sample...

I agree too.

Sometimes, when my melody is the driving inspiration of the beat, I'll add a simple hi-hat rhythm to keep it going... maybe add some basic kicks & snares here n there before I go on to accompanying melodies & structures.

However, there were times when my quick, jotted-down hi-hats & basic throw-away drum lines wouldn't be sufficient for the melody, and it would kill the mood and I would lose inspiration for the beat altogether.

So therefore, I will reiterate that I agree with Ash Holmz and eXampuL_oNe that having a wide variety of GOOD samples and sounds to work with makes a good driving force for adding structure to your drum line, no matter how you decide to start.

-Hypno