How do I hookup a motif/andromeda to logic?

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Whats good people...im sorry i know this is a basic question but i've always been a software person until now and i have next to no experience with connecting gear. I'm about to invest in the new motif and an andromeda but i'm still a bit confused on exactly how I can hook both of these up to my mac with the best possible sound quality.

i'm assuming i need an audio interface like a fireface or motu piece, but does it matter if its usb or firewire? does anyone know the type of outs the andromeda and motif would be using (analog or s/pdif?) will i only need 2 ins on the interface for each machine, or will i need more?

i've also been thinking about making the jump to pro tools for mixing and tracking so i've been thinking about doing all of this thru a digi 002 or 003 mixer, assuming they're capable of it. anyone have any good or bad advice on those 2 pieces?

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
first off let me say i hate you for being able to buy a motif and an adromeda !

anyway...
basically you'll need a soundcard of some sort midi capabilities would be useful aswell so that you can control you soft synths and stuff like that !
as for inputs id imagine but im not 100% sure as i dnt own either that they both would have spdif but if not they will obviously have 1/4" jack outputs which you can use to input the sound into your soundcard ! you will only need two ins really though those machines may give you more than one output so its up to you whether you choose to utilise this or just go thru the main outs !
the digi 002 are pretty nice yea and id imagine the 003 is guna be even better but ive not the 003 yet so i can say for certain ! if i were you tho i'd go for the m-aduio projectmix is usually cheaper than a 002 and basically the same unit !
oh and no it doesnt matter whether its usb or firewire basically what u'll notice is the the usb tends to only be for a few inputs whereas firewire can handle a lot more data hence its used on the devices with more inputs etc !

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks a lot for the feedback guys.

ash yeah i do have the 4000 but up until now i've been running it straight usb and with no audio or midi hookup...i'll start my beat on there, export the audio tracks via usb to my computer, and then import them to logic, so i'm going to need some kind of interface anyway.

i need to see what apple does with the next version of logic before i buy any mixing interface so i'm probably gonna hold off on this for a few months...if they really step their audio game up i may just go with a fireface and a mackie control for logic instead of going with a digi console.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
ooooohhhh i understand .. yeah u def need an interface ... something with at least 8 inputs to handle all of your hardware .. firface would work so would a project mix or an 002 or one those presonus firepod or sapphire something like that... bang for the buck is def the project mix .. same thing as a digi002 mixer but way cheaper!

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah that project mix is pretty nice, im definitely going to think about that if i go the pt route. the one thing thats making me lean towards the fireface is i've heard the sound quality and conversions are top of the line, so i gotta take that into account i think. anyway whenever i decide and get the hardware i'll post up my thoughts on whatever i end up getting. thanks again guys.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
go fireface, but...

count your I/O on mpc, motif and andromeda (output for each voice). In you case i would look into a 16 channel multitrack setup with logic, screw pt...with this setup id go lynx aurora lol