How did you learn to make beats?

pancakebunnny

needs more fartnoise
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
ALOT of staying home on weekend nights, practicing this shit. My first beats sounded like that one Roy Lee played for 9th Wondra in that Lil' Brother skit "With this here TRI-tonnn..."

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
hanging out with formant and learning myself.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
before i started making beats i had no idea how people did it. i knew it wasn't instruments like a band... i dl'ed fl studio months before and put it on a cdr then once when i was broke and in an apartment and lost internet i was going through my old cdrs. i found it and was jamming out. i ended up 'borroring' an erricsson cellphone (with internet package) and it took 3-4 days of downloading 10 megs over that shitty connection before i had it. i actually paid for it cause the demo was nice. that was feb 2003

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
trial and error, wasting money on software, hardware, and sample cd's, and wack records.

but the biggest learning came from reading about others peoples methods via various interviews found on the net with established producers.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I got a 386 way back, then some time later an 8-bit passport soundcard. I already had a psr keyboard and discovered what the din sockets were for. Without a manual it took me a year to configure the psr keyboard and understand how midi works via trax sequencer proggy i got with the soundcard. Shortly after that I got into multitrackers (FT2) and aquired a Juno106 to get started with basic synthesis and soon after that I got an 808 and learned about x0x sequencing.

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Popz bought me Acid 2.0 or 1.0 and a few Sample Cd's

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I startet up in 97 - 98 in Goldwave :D

But what got me going was a "gift" of ear.. To be able to have it quite simple from the start.. I was a fast learner, fast to get harmonies and melodies together.

percerverance is also a key factor.. And hard work

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
about 2 years ago kenwop put me on to fruity and i just keep tryin learn more every day

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
classic said:
Same way i learned how to play to play football & basketball, pratice......(and talent)

Same here, but I started off playing drums in church. So I gained an understanding of beats, timing, syncopation, etc. Later I moved on to drum machines. I locked myself in my room, and made beats and mixes all day long and in some cases, all night long and on a everyday basis..(except when I started working). The key, I listened to A LOT OF RECORDS! Stuff that I liked then experimented. The rest (as they say) is history.

members online