Hiss in my vocal recordings

jrbeats5

ill o.g.
I was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of the hiss and hum sound in vocal recordings. I know that you can EQ and lower the frequencies with the hiss but you kind of lose all the frequencies in the track. Is there any software or any other way to do this
BTW i am using a condenser mic and icicle (XLR to USB cable)

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Or a less expensive alternative.... Fabfilter pro-q... It's a visual eq....so you could see where the hiss is exactly as well as the hum.....but yeah, the mercury bundle is so dope.......

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I dont disagree with you Chris.. Scholar does have it right.
But RX is like for fixing old ass recordings imo, whereas here we have prolly a connection problem somewhere.

Does you mic require Phantom power? If so it may not be on, and before you turn it on turn it down.
To me that sounds like a lack of power to the mic being compensated by raising the inputs?

although I admit to having this problem now and again iand it can be "dirty power".

Visceral

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
As peeps have already said, sorting it out at the recording stage is your best bet, but for existing background noise, a free, easy to use noise gate plugin I recommend is ReaGate: http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

I'm sure the Waves & Izotope plugins are amazing, but the Cockos plugins above are free, legal & work really well IMO, so it's up to you, good luck.

SafeandSound

ill o.g.
Well hiss can be caused by a faulty mic and so can hum so i would check your mic first.
(and your audio cables, make sure you have a good quality shield XLR to XLR cable).

Some mic preamps have more hiss than others.

If you use a dynamic mic like an SM58 or SM& you need more gains and the result is more hiss.A condenser mic (good quality one) tend to produce less hiss.

other than this you need noise reduction software like Izotope RX.

cheers

SafeandSound
online mastering