Hiromasa Suzuki - High Flying (1976)

I-Just

Battle Points: 4
I just got an iPad. I’ve just been using garage band. I was reading through the thread on the other members set ups. It was like Spanish haha. I can’t wait to build up. I’ve got lots to learn. I appreciate the link too!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.

Had some fun with this one last night and today, but I'm at the point where I can't be fucked to continue working on it so I'll call it done here.

Dope! Really good use of the sample. It's nice you threw in just a bit of the vocals too, that's a nice touch. Solid mix.

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Battle Points: 57
Hah, I honestly feel like I was a bit lazy with it. I might change some stuff later, I dunno. Particularly the beginning three notes of the saxophone in the hook.

*edit* Day later, should be fixed. Not much has changed other than the first three notes of the hook.

Last edited:

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.

I-Just

Battle Points: 4
Really good flip. I like the synth you added, that's a nice touch.

I like the sample selection, good choice. Drums are good. It's just the part of the sample when you go down a couple of notes (the end part), it sounds off.
I think I know what you mean. I feel like I have a lot to learn about sampling, because there has to be a way to change the tones without affecting the speed. Once I figure this out I think I’ll be able to do a lot more.

I think I know what you mean. I feel like I have a lot to learn about sampling, because there has to be a way to change the tones without affecting the speed. Once I figure this out I think I’ll be able to do a lot more.
depends on the daw you are using, there is a thing called time stretching, which changes the speed without affecting the pitch. Some Daws have it built in.

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Pitched from 0:59 on. (y)

I like it on canadian tuxedo merits first and foremost, and is that a Nanimo bar I see? Sounds good though. I think out of anything the main sample loop is very short and gets repetitive over the course of the beat. There's a lot to draw from in the original that I feel you could use to your advantage in this one to give it some variation (Granted, I was lazy, and didn't do a lot to separate sections other than add something at 8 bars and switch to the hook after another 8). I do like the break down at the 1 minute mark, definitely the highlight of the beat.

Otherwise I think that the mix could use a bit of a tweak. Theres a lot of upper register sound in it. I think it could do with some more bass, and maybe pulling the hats back a bit to make it mesh together better. I cant turn it up a bunch and make sure what I'm hearing is accurate, but it definitely sounds like the hats are too far forward in the mix.

Either way, my 5 year old brother and I will attest to the fact that denim jackets and jeans is a legitimate fit that anyone in their right mind can and should respect. I just wish I could pull it off as good as he does.

NonxG

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 248
@iDeaLoGiK @2GooD Productions I really like your beat. I couldn't contribute much. With your beat the sax, with 2GooD the fills are especially nice. And for a beginner @I-Just I think it's really good. When I started building beats, I knew far fewer basics. Keep it up!

I like it on canadian tuxedo merits first and foremost, and is that a Nanimo bar I see? Sounds good though. I think out of anything the main sample loop is very short and gets repetitive over the course of the beat. There's a lot to draw from in the original that I feel you could use to your advantage in this one to give it some variation (Granted, I was lazy, and didn't do a lot to separate sections other than add something at 8 bars and switch to the hook after another 8). I do like the break down at the 1 minute mark, definitely the highlight of the beat.

Otherwise I think that the mix could use a bit of a tweak. Theres a lot of upper register sound in it. I think it could do with some more bass, and maybe pulling the hats back a bit to make it mesh together better. I cant turn it up a bunch and make sure what I'm hearing is accurate, but it definitely sounds like the hats are too far forward in the mix.

Either way, my 5 year old brother and I will attest to the fact that denim jackets and jeans is a legitimate fit that anyone in their right mind can and should respect. I just wish I could pull it off as good as he does.
Haha Nanimo bars I didn't knew, that will be it. It looked like a homemade Milch-Schnitte to me. Yes see it so too, the beat has a lot of problems with the mixing, i still have. It was one of my first beats after I started making beats again and every beat had harsh highs and too loud hihats especially because of my bad headphones. But now I have new bad headphones and problems with the bass. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
@iDeaLoGiK @2GooD Productions I really like your beat. I couldn't contribute much. With your beat the sax, with 2GooD the fills are especially nice. And for a beginner @I-Just I think it's really good. When I started building beats, I knew far fewer basics. Keep it up!

Haha Nanimo bars I didn't knew, that will be it. It looked like a homemade Milch-Schnitte to me. Yes see it so too, the beat has a lot of problems with the mixing, i still have. It was one of my first beats after I started making beats again and every beat had harsh highs and too loud hihats especially because of my bad headphones. But now I have new bad headphones and problems with the bass. :ROFLMAO:
Ive got good monitors, I still have trouble with the bass, I always have trouble with the bass, always over cook it.

NonxG

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 248
Ive got good monitors, I still have trouble with the bass, I always have trouble with the bass, always over cook it.
Interesting! What do you think is the problem? Your room, your personal preferences? I threw my monitors out. Price-range like upper beginner and i never got comfortable with them. They are more suiting to other genres than hiphop. No sub, think to narrow mids and highs and way to forgiving. Was it frustrating listen to my beats on other setups like my car - everywhere so different. But as a noob buying monitors by not listening and just reading reviews, i think i got the monitors i deserved. :ROFLMAO:

iDeaLoGiK

Disservice With a Smile
Interesting! What do you think is the problem? Your room, your personal preferences? I threw my monitors out. Price-range like upper beginner and i never got comfortable with them. They are more suiting to other genres than hiphop. No sub, think to narrow mids and highs and way to forgiving. Was it frustrating listen to my beats on other setups like my car - everywhere so different. But as a noob buying monitors by not listening and just reading reviews, i think i got the monitors i deserved. :ROFLMAO:
For me I've kind of figured out where the bass needs to sit with my Presonus e5xt monitors, despite having a moderately bad room and speaker placement due to lack of space (I had to put the speakers on a shelf above my monitor, which forces me to stand up to get in the right positioning). When I first bought them I had a hell of a time getting it right, albeit that's not to say it's ever perfect when I mix. I used to actually transfer between my home theater system which has polk audio RTI-A9 towers with three 7" woofers each to figure out if my bass mix is alright, but since they killed my reciever by drawing too much power I'm waiting to save up for a 300 watt power amp for them before I can use them again with my new one. I used to mix with my KRK headphones before I purchased my monitors, but I always found I mixed the bass too low with them. Now I just use them as a second point of reference, and if it sounds good on both then it's probably good. I have a wide array of speakers of different sizes types that I use in the same way if I'm making a full song, but for the most of what I do for beat making my monitors/headphones suit me just fine. Hell, my phone even has modular attatchments with a speaker that I use to see how it sounds out of a small bluetooth speaker. I like to have a bunch of points of reference to decide what needs tweaking. Probably overkill, but honestly I tend to get hyped up and want to do it for my own enjoyment anyway.

members online