hip hop tips for FL (written by raislam from Samplecity)

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
aight, i've only really asked qusetions so far that i've been here, so i've decided to tell what i kno and since hip hop doesnt really seem to b muych of a focus from what i've seen/heard, i guess this'll b useful for those who produce the same kind of music as i do

firstly, is not hip hop w/o drums... its a known fact... i havent herd one yet that doesnt use drums just cuz u add drums to nearly anything and it sound btr... kicks, in my opinion, are very important

layering kicks: a beats not really "hardcore" w/o sumtin hard behind it, and what btr than a kick? but many people may notice that other instruments kinda drown out a kick to the pint where its not very noticable... besides, its fun to have ur stereo or car shakin to the kicks... anyway, u good way to do that is:

1) double layering by using the samples FUNC tab, turning down the time all the way, and turning up the feed (if u plan on turning the feed all the way up, then lower the amount of echoes... too much kick will make other sounds seem inexistant to the human ear when the kick is played, and its a little startling)

2) layered sampling by either melding 2 diffrent kick sounds together in an external program, or playing 2 at once with layering, or manually... this is also useful for putting a kick together with a different instrument like a deep snare

3) note layering where u can use the piano roll and have it play the kick at different notes at once... i personally dont like using the piano roll for drums tho bcuz the step sequencer allows u to do all drums at once A LOT easier

finally, add bass to your kicks, even if u can barely notice it... a lot of people have a problem with addig sound that is barely noticable... but it could make a difference to the song, bcuz bass is not only heard, but felt

next up, SNARE

snare is actually not as important as kicks... y? cuz it can replaced, which i'll breifly discuss (like everything else)

1) offsetting layered snares with the use of the FUNC tab (around the bottom of the panel, labeled "OFS") allows a sample to b played a certain amount of time after its cued, and it may not seem like it, but it can make a big difference in the sound, depending on the sound ur going 4

2) normal layering of 1 or more different snares (such as te kicks) can give a strong feeling, but because most of FL's orginal snare samples are loud and sharp already, u may not need to

3) claps can b useful in a club beat as a replacement (or addition) to snares (the FL snap could b useful to, although i avoid its usage and when i do use it, its hard to hear)

4) do not use a lot of snare in the song because snares should normally just keep a beat, not b the beat... normally a snare is at the beginning of every other bar

5) add softer snares in the background... by this i mean like a drum roll, or a varied beatr of snares, but with low volume and normally varied notes... u may not hear it at first but it can give ur song a nice affect if u compare it with and w/o

6) transitions... when makin a transition into the drum beat, a (few) snare hit(s) can easily help a smooth transition into a drum beat and its used very often

finally ETC.

(yea, i got bored... i'll say sumthin about samples later on today prolly)

1) the typical hats pattern is every hit lit up and it sounds good, and i recommend its use

2) clavs can b good for strictly drum beats... like that 1 song by those guys in roca

3) toms are good nearly anywhere, and its good to use diff note toms

look forward to more soon

samples... VERY important... most good beats are not just drums

firstly, the best beats normally have man-made samples... to make those, u can rip the sounds

rippin:
1) dont just use that ripped sound purely, cuz its not yours... mess with it, make it sound different or layer it with something

2) find the most simplest version of that sound that u can

3) dont worry about gettin only 1 instrument... its rare that u'll get a sample that good... just work around it

makin ur own:
i dunno nuthin about makin samples from scratch, but i do kno that ts404 and 3xosc can give u high pitched and bass sounds easily

after samples, the most IMPORTANT part is arrangement of the samples

1) soft beats with soft drums normally requires light samples and very little amount of them

2) hardcore beats are the hardest to make because they need a balance... there IS a difference between hardcore and loud ya kno... the easiest way is to make a bangin drum track and then find either sum "Hovi Baby" type samples or "Never Scared" type samples... those are nearly guaranteed if u kno wht ur doing

3) KEEP A CONSTANT BASSLINE... my cousin and ex gf tried makin beats but they had to real beat in their drums

4) avoid techno sounds unless they are sharp and short... it sounds kinda... well... techno

5) trumpets sound btr than strings in my opinion... FL is lacking in trumpets... find a sample

6) if you beatbox, practice! i've had times where i'd b beat boxin and then 1 beat i do is so good that i spen all day tryna remember it... the hard part is gettin wat was in ur head into the sequencer (due to samples)

7) often, singers who write songs can come up with an instrumental line on their own that fits the lyrics... i have an artist who did that and last month i remixed it and it sound great now

8) continuously work on your beats... dont spen 1 day on sumthin nad move on... alweays go back (even if its YEARS back) and improve on every beat, even if it didnt sound that good... you may not know it, but u can b inspired by your own music

i personally have about 150 beats, improvin in the batches that i created them in (i organize mine in series, and i switch series whenever i change location, gain large amounts on inspiration, update programs, get better samples, or just plain have too many beats in a series)

i may add more later, not sure

tempo:
lower tempos normally requires slower raps, but are easier to make "hardcore" beats to... remember the balance i mentioned earlier? slower beats allow more "space" in the baet and doesnt force u to want a face paced beat

next, sum drum beats... i'll make a text based step sequencer, jus so no 1 goes makin dumb drum beats (work best at 100 tempo)

k = kick
s = snare
0 = blank
8 = filled

basic
k 8 0 0 8 0 0 8 0 8 0 0 8 0 0 0 0
s 0 0 0 0 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 0 0 0

creative
k 8 0 8 0 0 0 0 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
s 0 0 0 8 0 8 0 0 8 0 0 0 8 0 0 0

reggae
k 8 0 0 8 0 0 0 0 8 0 0 8 0 0 0 0
s 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 0

you can aso do drum beats that can help define your sample arrangement... like:
k 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 8 8 8 0 0 0 0
s 0 0 0 0 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8 0 0 0
where the kicks are would probably be a melody itself

finally, a lotta ppl seem to have a problem with uttin a sound in a song that most ppl cant hear... dont worry, add it, it can always change the effect of the song... plus if sum1 listens to it long enuf, they'll prolly hear it anyway... remember, higher volume on sumthin is not always good because it'll prolly drown out sumthin else and then u raise that things volume until ur music is chaos

oh, last tip, dont let the monitor hit a red zone unless iuts due to kicks... if it does, ur song is too loud and that a good way to see whether or not u need to tone it down (or possibly turn it up)

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
if he just works at 100 tempo....he's denying himself more creativity...

my tempos rarely hit any number that ends in a zero

sometimes its at 196.774 or something crazy like that.....

some of that stuff is informative...some of it....poppycock...

basically..do what da hell u want to do....use your own techniques to achieving your sound.....

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
dude, what's the point to that if your daw can at least have a placement of 768 ppq ? What you can say and which is very logical that BPM below 100 enables more room between notes for creativity, but that not bpm related but refers more to downtempo music in general.

ill o.g.
yo formant my man, (alles goed gozah ;) ),
i smell some noobizm in here too man, but keep in mind that whether its noobism or not, everyone has their own techniques and way of working. I doubt that there is any beat maker anywhere who makes beats EXACTLY the same way as someone else. same goes for mixing engineers, master dudes, etc. You of all people should know that. The lack of objectivity in the post is justifiable, beause he is writing on article on how HE does that, and his tips for that. What's he supposed to do, say 'i think you should...' etc EVERY damn tip he gives. Im sure there are plenty of noobs in this forum that learned something from that post man. I respect him for at least taking the time to write an article with some tips and shit. I sure as shit didnt agree with everything either dog ;). (in fact, i work in a completley different way as im sure you do too, its ill though, let him do it his way, you do it your way, makes life more phun ;) ) imagine everybody making beats in the exact same way....:| BOOOOOORING right? :D
Peace
(spreek je wel weer snel op msn hoop ik ;) )

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
this article is aight. It doesnt really tell u much, it just says obvious things which everybody who been in the game for a while knows. I rarely program my beats on a round number either. Then u dont have to stick to 100bpm, u can bring it down to 90 but it dont make a lotta sense to bring it up to over 110 unless u wanna make techno.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
really, what's the point ? And even over a 110, I think some of the Wu tracks are definitely uptempo talking 100+, it's still dope and breaking.

ill o.g.
dude, having a set bpm for any kind of music in any kind of context is WACK as it stands.
You should set your BPM to a speed that you are comfortable with that you like...per tune, not per genre. I dont like the article either. I think its wack too. so what? If you are truly that much better and know that much more you wouldnt be getting all worked up over it trying to prove some silly points.
PEACE

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
true that, I think it is stupid to work with preset tempos. Thats what hip hop is all about - being original and experimenting. Check out some new beats I got, they got pretty decent tempo.

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
my article was better than that and i wrote that a year ago... his shit was weeeeeeeeak... he seemed very new to the whole thing...

booya_nang

A breath of fre$h air!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 76
hmm his way of workin is different i'll give him that...not bad tho...I def don't use a preset tempo like that either..thanx for postin

members online