HIp Hop Evolution

G

Gmaf-IA

IVe been thinking about this for a while. Where do you all think hip hop is going? How do you feel about the way it's evolved, and where do you think it's headed? Im gonna save my opinion for later, I wanna see what you all think, see how keen you guys are.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Hip hop still needs to be influenced by the Tru Schoolers in order to keep with the foundation and basic elements.....I think it has become too commercialized and lots of other types of music are absorbing it and making it not so hip hop...even though I listen to and like those other genres.....I like the fact that 50 and Gunit are out there with new flavors of beats and styles I think they keep it real....but as far as a lot of the Krunk beats I don't really like that being associated as hip hop IMO.....it's not in the Tru sense.......I think categories have been the problem, music is music but hip hop, rap, gangster rap and trip hop have their own genres simply because of lyrical content and overall beat styles.....I think what we have is a merger or melting pot of music right now where there is no clear line on how to define hip hop.........in order to stay with the Tru Skool the music needs to be redefined I find more people that do not like NY or North Style beats than ever.....it seems the southern bounce and Krunk have overtaken using sampling and traditional patterns and elements that give that Tru Skool Flavor and more people either think the beats are old or wack from a lot MC's perspective....

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I think that, in a few years, hiphop will be something else... a couple of years ago, samples were mostly Jazz and stuff. Now you hear reggae, folks, rock (well Run DMC did it, but...), arabic music... mostly anything.

AND it is becoming more and more popular... so I think we'll always have "conventional", the cheap&(ch)easy hiphop, and we'll have the other hiphop... the Outkasts, the Roots, the Common... all those who always try to redefine hiphop...

And then the people will decide...

Tim D

Bitchn' Bout IRS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I tell em, "You know what's gonna happen with Hip-Hop?
Whatever's happening with us"
If we smoked out, Hip-Hop is gonna be smoked out
If we doin alright, Hip-Hop is gonna be doin alright
People talk about Hip-Hop like it's some giant livin in the hillside
comin down to visit the townspeople
We +are+ Hip-Hop
Me, you, everybody, we are Hip-Hop
So Hip-Hop is goin where we goin
So the next time you ask yourself where Hip-Hop is goin
ask yourself.. where am I goin?
- Mos Def-

ill o.g.
-I think its all gonna fall apart until its just the people who do it for money.

-The people who do it for the love will still be doin it underground.

-The people who did it for the money will stop makin money, then give up or quit.

-Then the real (do it for the love) people will rule once again.

(This cycle in my opinion will repeat over and over. Even when Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmaster Flash, and Kool Herc are gone. Even when people look at Dr. Dre's Chronic 2001 and say:"I wonder what Hip-Hop was like back then."The cycle will repeat over and over and hip-hop will live forever while sloping up and down.)

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
helix said:
-I think its all gonna fall apart until its just the people who do it for money.
-The people who do it for the love will still be doin it underground.
-The people who did it for the money will stop makin money, then give up or quit.
-Then the real (do it for the love) people will rule once again.
(This cycle in my opinion will repeat over and over. Even when Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmaster Flash, and Kool Herc are gone. Even when people look at Dr. Dre's Chronic 2001 and say:"I wonder what Hip-Hop was like back then."The cycle will repeat over and over and hip-hop will live forever while sloping up and down.)

You are definately right and you are always gonna have the masses following the top 40 BS without giving proper credit to the cats that actually do it for the love....

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
Hip hop will never die, only become what it's always been, a god inspired art form. No, I am not a religified freak, but I think shit is inspired by a higher power, and honestly, nothin moves me more than a damn good beat. A really good beat can hit your soul like nothing else in the world, I have felt true feelings listenin to other music, but I'm a chaotic type of person so hiphop has everything I need...

you know what I want more of? scratching, I miss the fuck out of it. I would do some myself but don't have a turntable or the skills needed to make it what I want. If I could, I would do an entire song of just phat ass scratching and would even include it on the final product shiiiit. I'm about to dig out some vinyl and get a cheap turntable to blister my fingers on ehhehh

I think that hiphop "might" melt into a kind of hardcore rap beat with house dance feel, but with more structure, cuz some of the effects of dance (house techno etc) music could be used in a good way, but I hope it never loses it's real deal zeal for tha feel of the caps that got peeled... on tha real.

Money seems to rule the current market and the only thing the industry is selling is bling bling and 24" on a escalade, but the underground changes too much to label it anything...

Maybe the game will make progress, who knows?

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i definitely agree with tim d. that mos def quote was dope. i believe that, especially with the bootleggin' that goin on, we'll see who's in it for the love and longhaul and who was in it for a quick fix of money. eventuall i think it will return to the golden era, if it be soley on the underground..so be it. that's where you'll find me. one.

c-dub

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I agree w/ helix, it's all a big cycle. Right now is what I call the "THE HAMMER(mc Hammer) CYCLE" everything is real commercial and no substance.

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
where is the controversey besides eminem? where the fuck are the rage against the machine type bastards? I'm one, I'll be BRINGIN IT, but where the fuck are the rest of us?

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
1d3nt1tY said:
where is the controversey besides eminem? where the fuck are the rage against the machine type bastards? I'm one, I'll be BRINGIN IT, but where the fuck are the rest of us?

Yo, this is exactly what I'm talking about. We don't need some silly bastard being stupid to make controversy. We need people who speak like Rage in rap. Intelligent people that are taking a real stand against the BS that is going on around us. When was the last time you saw a real political music video on TV. Oh yeah, it was probably Rage Against the Machine. And actually you probably missed it cuz it was only run late at night. (I don't know this stuff for sure, cuz I don't have TV and never watched much MTV in the first place). But "Freedom" was one of the only political videos I ever remember seeing on MTV, not like your average person would have cared about Leonard Peltier anyway. So, in answer to your question, I'm with you. I wasn't predominatly an anti-autoritarian punk rocker for so many years to have that spirit leave me now. Especially when I see a society that is mainly filled with brain-washed zombies...

members online