Hip Hop Confessions

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
I think MC Hammers "bring the news" beat has MAD remake potential.
I would love to see the kit for it go up in the flip this section...
yeah, after reading some more confessions I feel kinda bad for not diggin deep enough...

here it goes
I don't like Jay Z.

I mean I recognize his skill but his voice has always grated my nerves.
and he bit BDPs album title on some bullshit, and he's constantly on BIGGIEs shit
I mean bein generous, he might make my top twenty all time... maybe
and then ta make it worse he stained Beyonce... the only thing that would change my mind on him is if he copped a couple beats... namean

Are you talking about the "Pump It Up" beat?

LP*

ILLIEN
I think MC Hammers "bring the news" beat has MAD remake potential.
I would love to see the kit for it go up in the flip this section...
yeah, after reading some more confessions I feel kinda bad for not diggin deep enough...

here it goes
I don't like Jay Z.

I mean I recognize his skill but his voice has always grated my nerves.
and he bit BDPs album title on some bullshit, and he's constantly on BIGGIEs shit
I mean bein generous, he might make my top twenty all time... maybe
and then ta make it worse he stained Beyonce... the only thing that would change my mind on him is if he copped a couple beats... namean

I'm kinda with you on the Jay Z thing. I loved Reasonable Doubt though, it's probly one of my favorite hiphop albums.. and I liked American Gangster better then a lot of his other material, even the blueprint and the black album are just OK in my opinion a couple nice joints but nothing that would rank him top 5 in my opinion.

I have never really liked Jay Z, he has been a biter and rider of bandwagons since day 1. Out of his whole body of work there is only a few tracks that i can stand.
But that aside my hip hop confession....

Im not sure I really feel it anymore, I feel I was duped into a clique, moulded and shaped by the media to fall into a pre defined "pigeonhole" sub culture.
I have watched from near the beginning to the present and I have seen it be pimped out like a cheap hoe, to the point it is now a crack whore, an empty shell of its former glory, the soul is gone to be replaced by gems and other sparkly things, that tease the eyes with fancy visions of hollow success, all the while blinding us to the fact that the bitch is long dead, a corpse, being made to dance like a puppet for its masters, to squeeze every last buck that can be gained from its corpse.

There I said it.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I like some of Jay Z's stuff but I will be one of the first to say he has more that I don't like. IMO, in the past, these cats purposely put their all into a few tracks and the rest was done to meet the obligation of completing the album.

I feel like that mentality has changed. I feel like they still put their all into a few joints but then venture into more crossover stuff to fulfill their obligations. The benefits of doing that are clear...they will appeal to a wider audience. Instead of putting out an album under the sole brand of "hip hop" with only 2 bangers and pissing off the true heads, lets put 2 for hip pop fans, 2 for our smoked out fans, and fill in the rest with different flavors of dirty, swag, trap or whatever just to get them into the equation. It all translates into more album sales.

As for hip hop being dead...I just can't say that. I can say it's pretty much dead in the mainstream. I kinda view it as with anything else in life...with any venture that you take, you leave home when everything is right, if you come to a closed road then you bypass it, if someone cuts in front of you, then you cuss them out and give them the finger or whatever...you don't just turn around, give up and go back. Especially after a certain point. At the end of that venture, you reflect back on what it took to complete your journey, your sense of accomplishment is really determined by how hard the test was. If you didn't have any problems, then you didn't accomplish anything more than making the trip.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
.......another one.:

I think Nas's "Rewind" was one of the most clever hip-hop tracks ever.

I also think Gza's "Animal Planet" is the most awesome metaphor in the history of hip-hop.

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
Sad to see so many so disillusioned with hip hop
Remember the last dragon? if not GO WATCH IT!!!
Anyway, it' in you... You got the glow.
Fuck a video, even radio, hip hop aint really some chick somewhere, its what makes you wake up half asleep
Can't button a shirt right, toothpaste on your chin, but still power up ya whole system flawlessly and start composing before your coffee is ready...
Hip hop is what makes you have dreams and nightmares about this shit, I know you do.
Hip hop is what makes you remember the first mixtape you ever heard
Hip hop is definitely not what they say it is, they'll define it for their uses
Hip hop aint dead we just forgot not to expect everything from it without having to give something in return
Hip hop is us
Hip hop is me

My other confession is I'm a corny old ass hip hop head.
One

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
never though Biggie was much of a lyrical genius. His rhymes we really redundant. Pac was a dope song writer but had I was never impressed with his style. Jay was a huge factor in my early days of writing before he came out with Reasonable Doubt, after that I couldn't get into him anymore. Love Wu but after 36 chambers, I didn't like any of their albums after that and as someone mentioned, I think that the solo efforts were way better then any group projects. As far as underground artists, Jedi Mind Tricks are cool but Vinnie Paz's voice annoys the shit out of me after awhile. he sounds like the human version of Cookie Monster.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
never though Biggie was much of a lyrical genius. His rhymes we really redundant. Pac was a dope song writer but had I was never impressed with his style. Jay was a huge factor in my early days of writing before he came out with Reasonable Doubt, after that I couldn't get into him anymore. Love Wu but after 36 chambers, I didn't like any of their albums after that and as someone mentioned, I think that the solo efforts were way better then any group projects. As far as underground artists, Jedi Mind Tricks are cool but Vinnie Paz's voice annoys the shit out of me after awhile. he sounds like the human version of Cookie Monster.

Other than yourself, who DO you like?

I actually thought Wu-Tang Forever was a pretty dope release.

But I do agree about the solo projects outshining the group's albums (except 36 chambers).

U-God is HORRIBLE....

drex

superpimp trillionaire
Battle Points: 11
I never got into JMT too much either...
But WU got like a 99 percent success rate with me...
Add wu affiliates, and it drops to like 96...
Golden Arms got advanced bars, tbh... Acquired taste...
He really shoulda rocked wit ODB more
or him an RZA woulda made a dope teambased on their voices.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Other than yourself, who DO you like?

Sean Price, Rass Kass, Mos Def, Black Thought, Xhibit, KRS, Snoop. Still will give Em a listen even though I'm not as big as a fan as I used to. Q-tip's last album was really fresh.

Honestly, I'm trying to be the best emcee ever, (which should be every emcee's mind set)so I focus on my music 110% But the above mentioned is who I look out for.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
Pac was a dope song writer but had I was never impressed with his style.

i think that Pac's passion is what did it for him. you could actually feel the shit that he was saying. or feel that he really meant what he was saying.

got another one:

i hate when the dj "runs that shit back.....REWIIIIIND!" on mixtapes/cds. in the club, it's okay, but i don't need to hear the MC say the same shit 4-5 times on a cd. i can just rewind that shit on my own if i wanted to hear what he said again.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
i think that Pac's passion is what did it for him. you could actually feel the shit that he was saying. or feel that he really meant what he was saying.

got another one:

i hate when the dj "runs that shit back.....REWIIIIIND!" on mixtapes/cds. in the club, it's okay, but i don't need to hear the MC say the same shit 4-5 times on a cd. i can just rewind that shit on my own if i wanted to hear what he said again.

I also hate when reggae artists just do covers. Its cool after the FIRST one....write your own music dammit! lol