Hi-Tek's "best friend"- production question

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah im trying to get into producing just cause it interests me more. I used to think i wanted to do the more corporate thing but now i see myself producing more...we'll see how it turns out. Right now there's no conflict or anything since my beats def aren't good enough to get sold haha.

best of luck man.

B

BeatBoy

Naw i think dat Dat Hi tek replayed it but at da same time hi tek didnt really produce da track actually Jr Rotem really produce it and Hi tek co produce it.so Jr rotem could of replayed over da sample to get it dat extra edge to it because as u kno Jr rotem is a extremely good keyboard player comin from a background playin keyboard and jazz.so i think dats wat he did because as u kno alot of producer replay over da sample to get it dat fye sound.but dats just my thought

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
this thread reminded me that i really need to learn how to use EQ effectively when sampling. I usaully dont mess with EQ it at all but I really should do it more

9th Wonder flipped the same sample on Murs new EP too

keep doing your thing everybody! :)

peace

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
Hi-Lo said:
Hey y'all..

I have a question for some of the more veteran samplers on this board, especially Classic.

Theres a new 50 cent song called "Best friend" (off of the GRODT soundtrack) produced by my favorite producer, Hi Tek. At the beginning of the track, Tek plays the song where the original sample came from, and then segues into this absolutely fire beat. My question is...can any of you guess or tell what techniques/methods he used to get the sample from its original state (which you can hear right before the Hi Tek Beat comes in) to how it sounds in his beat? I don't mean chopping or timing, because as far as I can tell that's not why it sounds so much better...he just took this hot but hollow sample and gave it unbelievable depth and realism. Any tips or comments would be really appreciated...even if you don't know how he did it, if you have some similar tips in the same vein, that would be great.

Also, because I bought the song off itunes (no way i'm wasting $13 on the whole cd), I don't have liner notes and can't tell where the sample comes from...do any of you recognize the artist from the sample he plays??

If you need me to post the song, let me know, but its all over ***** etc by now.

Thanks in advance.

The sample is from Valerie Simpson - Silly Wasn't I. The part HI Tek used was towards the end of the Valerie simpson song. It's just basically choppin it up. I also used that same sample in one of my old videos too.

B

Big Wills

Hi-Lo said:
Just to give some of y'all an even bigger example of this..

A lot of people don't know the real reason why Kanye never got a deal w/ Capitol (as he describes on "Last Call") despite 3H pushing him real hard. The reason was exactly what happened on these boards today. During a meeting at Capitol, Kan started ragging on someone who he thought was inconsequential. It turned out that the highest ranking exec at that meeting just happened to be real good friends with this person Kanye was ragging on. And guess what happened? No deal. And that was even for someone on Kanye's level of talent.

If you look at the history of some of the game's biggest producers, their success is due just as much to personal networking and relationships as talent. If Pharell had been an ass to a friend of Teddy Riley in the early 90's, there's a good chance he wouldn't be where he is today. Regardless of the level of talent, you have to be aware of the small nature of this industry and how quickly word travels both about good and bad artists to deal with.

Let it be a lesson. Like I always say to artists, stay humble. The only ones in this industry who can brag are RZA, Dre, Neptunes, etc...producers who have become legends in the game. Today was a perfect example of how easy it is to burn bridges.

Peace.
How can you talk about being humble after the shit you said earlier in this thread? I didn't see the deleted posts, but trying to blackball someone over hurt feelings is petty and is generally below the average person. No beef, just truth.

I'm assuming here, but that guy had a passion, a family and most of all a talent. You're the kind of person that's killing hip-hop. Shouldn't even be allowed to live amongst artists and decent people.

Bad egg mate, you're a bad egg.

members online