Help please!

TriKRaps

Whats life without hip-hop?
Battle Points: 4
Whats up guys? We are finally done with the exams on school so i can get back to beatmaking... Anyways, as i said in a previous post i got mpk mini mk2 and im learning how to sample... ive done 5 sampled beats till now and im having a great time... but i unfortunately got a problem.... when i try to sample tracks which have kicks and snares on em i fail... i dont know why but i just cant seem to get a drum pattern on em.. any help?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah that can be difficult but there's a few options:
  1. Play your kick and snare on top of the one from the sample so you're hiding it.
  2. Filter the sample. I like to put a high pass filter on my samples like that, that way you barely hear the kick and snare. Then if you add other sounds on top of that, it will be barely noticeable.

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
Whats up guys? We are finally done with the exams on school so i can get back to beatmaking... Anyways, as i said in a previous post i got mpk mini mk2 and im learning how to sample... ive done 5 sampled beats till now and im having a great time... but i unfortunately got a problem.... when i try to sample tracks which have kicks and snares on em i fail... i dont know why but i just cant seem to get a drum pattern on em.. any help?

Make your chops on the kicks and snares

so if your samples has drums Make your chops on the kicks and snares you can filter them out as well
But most important is chop it on the kick and chop it on the snare, this way when you lay the sample down on a beat it will line up tighter!

TriKRaps

Whats life without hip-hop?
Battle Points: 4
Yeah that can be difficult but there's a few options:
  1. Play your kick and snare on top of the one from the sample so you're hiding it.
  2. Filter the sample. I like to put a high pass filter on my samples like that, that way you barely hear the kick and snare. Then if you add other sounds on top of that, it will be barely noticeable.
if i filter the sample, wont this lower its quality and make it sound poor?

Make your chops on the kicks and snares

so if your samples has drums Make your chops on the kicks and snares you can filter them out as well
But most important is chop it on the kick and chop it on the snare, this way when you lay the sample down on a beat it will line up tighter!
if chop on other places than the kick and the snare of the sample but my drum pattern is exactly the same, will it fit?

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
if i filter the sample, wont this lower its quality and make it sound poor?

if chop on other places than the kick and the snare of the sample but my drum pattern is exactly the same, will it fit?

you are just cutting off either low pass or high pass filtering it wont damage the quality of the sample unless the sample isn't in good quality in the first place

like fade said about the filter! Good pint he explained because sometime you don't want your drum layered from the sample and it will cause clashing in your mix and if you are off it will be exposed and heard!!
If you decide to use samples that have drums already in them and you chop it up I would advise to make sure you have the sample tempo set as the sample chops it would make it easier to work with!! Now if you want to get advance find the key that the sample is in and make sure everything that is created for that beat starts in and ends on that note buyt this is tricky because you must be in the same scale

Reason8 and other daw's have a form of time stretching and it help to calculate the proper tempo!

keep us posted and hope we could help!! if not let me know ill do a short video!!

members online