HEADPHONES vs. MONITORS

MORFEEUS

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I would like to know which is better.....Headphones in a controlled environment....or Monitors in a room or control room that is not acoustically correct......which is truly better for mixing?!?!?!?!?!?!

dfine

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
use headphones and monitors, mp3 players, clock radios, car stereos anything to hear how a mix woluld sound to anyone anywhere

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
just be sure you get monitors and not speakers at best buy or something like that...you need something that barely colors the sounds

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
Realistically, you need both. Monitors for most obvious reasons but headphones when you are doing and checking for intricate nuances, edits and overall effects your drums have on your ears. If your snares (for example) are smackin' to the point where your ears feel like there's a stick being poked in your ears, then you've mixed it correctly. Listen to the Chronic 2001 through headphones and you'll hear and feel exactly what I'm talkin' about. Now your Monitors (and I'm just talking about the drums only here...) are good so you can feel how much air is being pushed out by the woofers and see how they react on your kicks. If you've got some monitors with colored woofers like KRK Rockits, then you can better see what the woofers are doing and hear how your kicks sound and shape your mixes accordingly.

-X

scandal

Maker of Beats
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 178
Ok this is how I see it, Monitors are the easiest to mix on, but as long as u learn ur headphones or even speakers they can be just as affective, they just require a steep learning curve and u have to be able to tell what frequencies your speakers or head phones are boosting and vice versa. Of course higher quality headphones or speakers will shorten up the learning curve a little its all about just knowing your speakers or headphones and even monitors and how they translate into other systems.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
i like mixing wit moniters better and i listen thru headphones to see if theres any screws i need to tighten up

MORFEEUS

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i feel what everyone is saying.....but this is the REAL question.....are you really getting a true mix if you are mixing with monitors if your control room or environment is not ACOUSTICALLY correct......with headphones .... it doesnt seem like you would have that problem.

members online