Headphones to Monitors

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
i was at work yesterday n my manz told me when im mixing down is good to use headphones rather then monitors cuz u gotta imagin urself as if ur spittin on the track cuz my tracks sound good on my monitors but i played a beat cd in his car n the bass was so high it was distorted or maybe he had his volume all the way up in his car i was wonderin is Headphones the best way when mixing down

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Most people will tell you never mix on headphones. Others here should be able to elaborate on that.
Regarding your friends car, start with a reference CD (meaning listen to a similar sounding, professionally mastered song first, same genre), then put in your shit after. That will let you know if it's your beat or the system that needs tuning.

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
Most people will tell you never mix on headphones. Others here should be able to elaborate on that.
Regarding your friends car, start with a reference CD (meaning listen to a similar sounding, professionally mastered song first, same genre), then put in your shit after. That will let you know if it's your beat or the system that needs tuning.

cool good lookin out man

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
dont use headphones, the reason being is the frequency response, a mixdown should always be done on monitors that have a good frequency range. the car issue is common and it comes with practice, most tracks need to be engineered correctly to sound good in a car to a home system.

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
dont use headphones, the reason being is the frequency response, a mixdown should always be done on monitors that have a good frequency range. the car issue is common and it comes with practice, most tracks need to be engineered correctly to sound good in a car to a home system.

well theres a professional studio not far from my crib imma go get it mixed n mastered n see

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
never use head phones... always use monitors... also just make sure your mix is cool, never master a beat... when you sell a track and its made into a song its gonna be mastered anyway... just make sure ya mix downs is on point....

thanx track thats a cool set up u got 2

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
wot monitors have you got ? you should always use monitors to mix over headphones tho checking on both is a good thing !
if you're monitors aren't that good tho that could be why your levels weren't too good !
also take breaks when mixing and don't have it up to loud what tends to happen is you get used to hearing a sound like theb ass so you just keep making it louder and louder !

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
i was at work yesterday n my manz told me when im mixing down is good to use headphones rather then monitors cuz u gotta imagin urself as if ur spittin on the track cuz my tracks sound good on my monitors but i played a beat cd in his car n the bass was so high it was distorted or maybe he had his volume all the way up in his car i was wonderin is Headphones the best way when mixing down

What I learned in school is that you should use a variety of speaker sources to mix(headphones,monitors, house speakers, boom box etc). The mix needs to basically sound good on the various sources that the music buyer or listener uses. Notice I said "good" not great. It will never sound great on every source.

Headphones have there place! The main draw back with using headphones is that you won't get a good idea of how your low end is going to sound, but they are excellent for the high end. Also most headphones may say "stereo studio monitors" when in fact they are not. The circuitry just gives them a stereo effect but it's not actually stereo in the sense of the word. One good thing about headphones is that if your high end too high you'll know immediately. That's about the only thing I use them for.

After listening to the low end through your monitors for hours it's easy to lose focus on the highs. That bass will hypnotize you! When purchasing monitors you have to make sure they have the broadest frequency range that you can afford. In hip hop we love our bass! Most times we over do it because we just can't get enough of it. I found that when you have more than one bass source in your track that's when things usually get out of hand. IMO you should always tune your diff't bass sources to diff't frequency ranges i.e bass drum, bass guitar and synth bass etc. Bass drums, kicks etc can hang around the 40- 50 hertz range but tune your synth and gtr bass in the upper 100 to 200 hertz range to give the various bass sources there own space. However you initially set your bass and it sounds good to you, always go back and drop it down 2 or 3 db. And during the final stages of your mix have the volume waaaaaaay down. If all the elements don't sound good at a low volume most likely your mix is jacked!

Another trick is to mute your bass sources and check the mix of all your other elements if it's too bassy. Then lower all the bass sources and raise them slightly until it no longer sounds muddy. If the mix sounds good without your bass then you know for sure that the bass level or frequency range is your problem and it allows you to focus on just the problem area Works for me....may or may not work for you!

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
What I learned in school is that you should use a variety of speaker sources to mix(headphones,monitors, house speakers, boom box etc). The mix needs to basically sound good on the various sources that the music buyer or listener uses. Notice I said "good" not great. It will never sound great on every source.

Headphones have there place! The main draw back with using headphones is that you won't get a good idea of how your low end is going to sound, but they are excellent for the high end. Also most headphones may say "stereo studio monitors" when in fact they are not. The circuitry just gives them a stereo effect but it's not actually stereo in the sense of the word. One good thing about headphones is that if your high end too high you'll know immediately. That's about the only thing I use them for.

After listening to the low end through your monitors for hours it's easy to lose focus on the highs. That bass will hypnotize you! When purchasing monitors you have to make sure they have the broadest frequency range that you can afford. In hip hop we love our bass! Most times we over do it because we just can't get enough of it. I found that when you have more than one bass source in your track that's when things usually get out of hand. IMO you should always tune your diff't bass sources to diff't frequency ranges i.e bass drum, bass guitar and synth bass etc. Bass drums, kicks etc can hang around the 40- 50 hertz range but tune your synth and gtr bass in the upper 100 to 200 hertz range to give the various bass sources there own space. However you initially set your bass and it sounds good to you, always go back and drop it down 2 or 3 db. And during the final stages of your mix have the volume waaaaaaay down. If all the elements don't sound good at a low volume most likely your mix is jacked!

Another trick is to mute your bass sources and check the mix of all your other elements if it's too bassy. Then lower all the bass sources and raise them slightly until it no longer sounds muddy. If the mix sounds good without your bass then you know for sure that the bass level or frequency range is your problem and it allows you to focus on just the problem area Works for me....may or may not work for you!

Drama thanks for that info cause i've been having problems mixing my drums, def gonna try that out.

DJ Redrum

Playin' For Keeps
ill o.g.
Best just to keep to the Monitors, and only use the Headphones to check up on how the panning is.

D

David_Edwards

I start beats on headphones but when its time for mixing I think monitors are pretty important. Especially because in our line of work, bass is so essential, headphones don't image sub bass or most kicks properly, only a good sub setup will do that for you.

members online