Headphone Mixing

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Is it possible to consistantly get good mixes by using headphones instead of monitors? I tried it for the first time today. My mix levels were nice but needed extra eq'ing.

ill o.g.
I hear that if you got the right headphones it can work. That i aint somethin i wanna start doin, but i guess if neighbors get pissed at speakers or you dont got any monitors available, then headph are alright.

I dont know firsthand, but i people tellin me the Audio Technica m40x's or somethin like work great for mixing.

i found what i think there talkin about:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTATHM40FS

P

Protege

I got the sony v700's and b/c i dont have monitors and i mix in pro tools it sounds perfect. Go with those, the numark's sux.

E

Equality 7-2521

the fact of the matter is: headphones cannot REPLACE near field monitors. headphones are good for checking the levels or reverb and ear candy and are also good when panning.

them main thing to remember is you should be using more than one reference for how your shitsounds. cross reference on as many systems as you can. headphones are indeed a common reference but not a be all end all reference. if you are serious about getting good headphones for checking your mixes, get Sennheiser HD 25s. they cost a bit but are the industry standard and are very nice.

ill o.g.
You can get up close and personal thru your headphones, but mixing on monitors is probably better for the overall soundscape of the music. Most headphones even the hi-end ones, can only produce so much of the actual sound. But everybody has there own personal preference. Do what work for you.

Retro

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Equality 7-2521 said:
the fact of the matter is: headphones cannot REPLACE near field monitors. headphones are good for checking the levels or reverb and ear candy and are also good when panning.

them main thing to remember is you should be using more than one reference for how your shitsounds. cross reference on as many systems as you can. headphones are indeed a common reference but not a be all end all reference. if you are serious about getting good headphones for checking your mixes, get Sennheiser HD 25s. they cost a bit but are the industry standard and are very nice.

I agree on the Sennhieser. Good quality headphones for general mixing.

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
For me, I live in an apartment. I have been for many years now so, I don't have much of a choice but to work with headphones. I don't have any monitors nor do I have the space for all the stuff I really need to push my potential further. All my junk is in our dining room. So until we are blessed to move into a house, I have to work with the headphones.
The final product always goes to ProTools which is at my boy's crib so he has the monitors and all that so when I drop it there, then I can work with monitors and get a real good mix. Headphones help me get an idea of how I want the overall mix to sound (all the details like FX and levels and the effect the snares and kicks hit my ears). Sometimes you gotta' work with what you have and make the best out of it.

-DJ X-sinna

djryval

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i have the senn hd-25's and use them for all my general mixing purposes. i may get monitors later but there really isn't room and also my wife is a school teacher and needs the peace and quiet most nights when we're home. i got the better headphones because they double as my djing headphones too so i figured spending the extra money on them would be my best option for now. when i'm done mixing though i always play the beat on other speakers plus my best friend has monitors for recording vocals and we can check the levels there too.

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
headphones are all i got to mix wit aint even got a sub yet, but i was wondering whats the best general program to listen to a beat in, cos am findin they sound different form program to program

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
i do everything in a pair of akg monitoring headphones, personally. i dont even have monitors, and have never had monitors. my other reference points are a cheap kustom pa system and my crappy car stereo.

my mixing is solid, workable but obviously not great. my mixes tend to sound good to very good in higher end stereo systems and home theater systems so i guess i am doing something right.

honestly though monitors are great and i will have some at some point but even then you still need to do the car/ home stereo/discman/pa system/home theater/etc tests as well and even if you dont have great monitors or monitors at all you can still get good results!!

a headhone mix is great to me because it allows me to focus on panning and working things out in terms of space and placement, automation, as well as effects..... and i think headphones arenecessary for this, leveling i personally think that there needs to be a happy medium between the headphone mix and the monitor mix- but if you want a dynamic mix with motion and space then headphones are a great part of that.

seriously, i know there are "rules" and whatnot but i am breaking them all and getting solid results, therefore to me its all about your own ears and developing your own style with WHAT YOU HAVE that will lead you to your best mixing work!

C

Carpe Diem

i usually always make my beats using the sennheiser hd 25s, neighbours n family get kinda pissed with the constant noise so im forced to use the phones...but i always try to mix down on the monitors, make the beat n mix down as best as possible using the 25s then finish the mix on the monitors, best way in my situation i feel...

Cloudchamber

ill o.g.
I've never had the $$ for real monitors. I used to mix on radio shack head phones, and couldn't figure out why my mixes were always so scooped out in the midrange. It was because of the frequency response curve of the cans I had on my head. Now I mix with high end Sonys and everything translates well when heard on other systems. However, you absolutely cannot trust head phones to represent the stereo sound field. Notes that sound okay on your cans might interfere and cancel on real speakers. A sanity check using regular speakers is always in order--even if its your computer speakers.

members online