Hate It or Love It

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
This is the one I saw the other day. I think we're all doomed. I'll toss my MPC out the window now...

bail abandon thread GIF

I think if anything I would use these tools to make music I can sample, rather than make beats for me.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Meta plagiar.jpg

So it seems there will still be hope.

Also it mentioned artists been suing them for using their works to train it.

Rightfully so too.

But this is also the thing. AI kinda self teaches through absorbing everything already made. If it's regurgitating already made stuff, and people are making works with regurgitated stuff, it's going to self perpetuate the same stuff.

It'll end up being even more typebeaty than usual.

That's how I foresee it.

How I might use it is similar to fade. I'll use it for musical collage... hey AIscumbag get me a cymble riser and a Tom roll.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
View attachment 6766
So it seems there will still be hope.

Also it mentioned artists been suing them for using their works to train it.

Rightfully so too.

But this is also the thing. AI kinda self teaches through absorbing everything already made. If it's regurgitating already made stuff, and people are making works with regurgitated stuff, it's going to self perpetuate the same stuff.

It'll end up being even more typebeaty than usual.

That's how I foresee it.

How I might use it is similar to fade. I'll use it for musical collage... hey AIscumbag get me a cymble riser and a Tom roll.
Well that's what's interesting about this but also with just AI in general. I was reading the other day about some book authors that are suing because ChatGPT was trained with some of their books. So the same thing with this music AI and how it will be trained and then how it's used.

When music sampling was just starting out way back it wasn't really an issue because it didn't become a legality thing, but once it did it just busted the doors wide open with copyright this and that. Now photographers that post their photos online don't want people using their work either.

But to me this shows that with all of the technology we have today, maybe sharing is the way to go, just like it was in the 80s before the legal stuff came in. We can discuss the whole copyright thing in depth, but basically I'm saying that wouldn't we see/hear amazing creativity if everyone could just work off of whatever source they can? Of course there's copyright, money, etc but I'm just saying.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Well that's what's interesting about this but also with just AI in general. I was reading the other day about some book authors that are suing because ChatGPT was trained with some of their books. So the same thing with this music AI and how it will be trained and then how it's used.

When music sampling was just starting out way back it wasn't really an issue because it didn't become a legality thing, but once it did it just busted the doors wide open with copyright this and that. Now photographers that post their photos online don't want people using their work either.

But to me this shows that with all of the technology we have today, maybe sharing is the way to go, just like it was in the 80s before the legal stuff came in. We can discuss the whole copyright thing in depth, but basically I'm saying that wouldn't we see/hear amazing creativity if everyone could just work off of whatever source they can? Of course there's copyright, money, etc but I'm just saying.
It's tricky.

And as a creative, it's a dilemma.

I sometimes, particularly in Art moreso than music, like 'sampling' or using aspects of other's work... whether that's a photograph, whether I chop it up and edit it or use a bit more as is, textures and spills etc.

Sometimes similarly with music... but usually moreso when I'm trying to steal a bit of vocal.

Now, I hate the rights aspect when really I'm only using a small aspect of their work to reinterpret it to create something new.

However, if someone was to sample some key aspect of something I made whether audio or visual, and started making money or recognition of it - I'd feel slightly robbed too. Like you'd want credit etc for the input your work had into theirs.

It's kinda like non-consensual collaboration if you think about it. If You made the drums and I slapped a couple of sparkly melodies on top, you'd want credit for the drums (most likely) in terms of recognition and revenue cuts.

Maybe works should have a "non consensual collaboration cut" that is generated. And royalty splits can be done mechanically if only one sample it all goes to that. Or multiple samples the cut is more and split between the different sampled people.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I remember writing about something like that a few years ago and what should be fair use and whatnot. Something like it would be great to be able to use a sample if I'm not profiting off my beat and just doing it for fun. But if I sample something and make money from my beat AND I make at least X amount or sell X amount of my music then I have to pay up. And then under all the circumstances, the original artist must always be credited.

As far as AI though, I would definitely use it to create a melody and then I sample it. This way there's no copyright to worry about (at least with the current state of AI laws because there's basically none right now).