GUY WHO DIDNT KNOW

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
This is hilarious. To this day I still find out the samples to famous songs and realize I've been lied to lol.

But this is why I don't like to look for entire loops when I sample because first of all, most of the good shit is taken, as you can see from the video. And I just find it lazy unless you take an entire loop and chop it up and do something with it. A lot of these guys just took stuff even with the drums and everything lol, it's crazy.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
This is hilarious. To this day I still find out the samples to famous songs and realize I've been lied to lol.

But this is why I don't like to look for entire loops when I sample because first of all, most of the good shit is taken, as you can see from the video. And I just find it lazy unless you take an entire loop and chop it up and do something with it. A lot of these guys just took stuff even with the drums and everything lol, it's crazy.
Yeah i think back in the days it was something else since that kind of beats and style basically wasnt there, they turned jazz/funk/pop songs into repetitive beats and it was new.

Nowadays its totally different, you seen/heard almost every shit so yeah, if you dont come up with something new it doesnt have that effect as it has back then. I guess thats why Trap and Drill emerged with the hat rolls n stuff like that, those are steps of evolution of Hip-Hop.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah i think back in the days it was something else since that kind of beats and style basically wasnt there, they turned jazz/funk/pop songs into repetitive beats and it was new.

Nowadays its totally different, you seen/heard almost every shit so yeah, if you dont come up with something new it doesnt have that effect as it has back then. I guess thats why Trap and Drill emerged with the hat rolls n stuff like that, those are steps of evolution of Hip-Hop.
I agree. Back then it was new to make beats like that, whereas before it was more like the Run DMC / LL style of hard drums and vocals with not too much on the musical side.

But now with all the tech there's no excuse. We can warp a fart into a bassline and no one would know. Maybe that should be a Beat This theme!

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
I agree. Back then it was new to make beats like that, whereas before it was more like the Run DMC / LL style of hard drums and vocals with not too much on the musical side.

But now with all the tech there's no excuse. We can warp a fart into a bassline and no one would know. Maybe that should be a Beat This theme!
True, you dont even need the tech. Dilla was like a magician with samples and his old ass MPC 3000 i think. I mean even RZA did some nice shit with a SP1200. Being creative, being motivated to elevate the art of sampling or making beats in general is whats lackin imo. Most ppl get into a comfort zone by making stuff thats established as good and roll with it. But it was always like that, some nukkas made gangsta rap blow up, the rest just followed and copied. The ones that bring it to the next level are always few in numbers.

Everything is way more user friendly and more accessible nowadays so yeah, no excuses.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
But i gotta admit, with sites like looperman n shit it got pretty "easy" to slap shit together that bangs. I started using samples and loops and ppl went like: "daaaamn, dope"

When i made shit completely on my own it was just sucking ass. I remember that one battle where i just sampled "Hell March" from the Command & Conquer game and i think it was Fury Beats that was like: "Brooooo that guitar n shit, how you made it???" and then when i revealed the sample the magic was gone. xd

On the other hand i learn a lot from sampling, analyzing why ppl like sampked stuff over my OG stuff and i start to mix samples with my own creations, kinda taking baby steps into the direction of coming up with my own shit that slaps asses.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Yeah with those old units they were limited of course, but that's what made those machines so good. I always look to Public Enemy's Bomb Squad production and how they had so many pieces to their beats. It's crazy to think of the layering they did back then.

I've always recommended loops when starting out because it makes it so much easier to figure out what you're doing and how sampling works. It's just natural progression. It's also good to make your own melodies and sample yourself, it just changes up the whole aspect of what you're creating.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Yeah this always bugged me pretty hard.

Particularly because a lot of the beats that I was really inspired by and in awe of the producers like 'wow he came up with such a cool beat/melody/etc' and spent my production life trying to replicate, learning how to create equally dope hooks and beats, only to realise they literally just copy pasted someone elses work, looped it, called it a rap. Still more and more favorites come to light that I am surprised were samples/interpolations. Heartbreaking.

Sure, having the 'ear' for it, and having that imparted on my own music making, I should see it as a blessing. But it can leave you feeling a little robbed/conned. But having that 'ear' to appropriate a work and bring it into a new world and give it a new life is an ability too. And sometimes I myself hear something and go 'yeahhh that'd be dope to sample' --- but any time I do, I can't shake the feeling of feeling like I 'cheated'.

Love.

members online