Guru about to diss Young Guru over name

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
Gimmel "Young Guru" Keaton, A&R for Roc-A-Fella Records, is regarded as one of the best engineers in the business, but he never thought that he'd be the subject of a friction in Hip-Hop.

However, rapper Guru of the legendary Gangstarr has taken exception to Keaton's moniker.

"There is no disrespect to [Guru]. I big up that dude and it's really not a problem," Keaton told AllHipHop.com. "I've spoke to a lot of people about it and they are like 'Leave it alone, but I just want duke to know that there ain't no animosity. I don't know where it's coming from. I been a fan since Gangstarr came out and that's what makes me what to reach out to duke and correct it. If it can't be corrected, then so be it."

Gangstarr's Guru is a rap veteran whose career stretches into the 1980's and he stated that alone is just cause for the younger guru to change his handle.

The first single off his upcoming album, Guru: Version 7.0, has harsh words for Keaton.

"When [his name] first caught our ears, we were like, 'Huh?' We tried to reach out and no one got back to us. Then we started seeing more and more articles on him. First of all, my name ain't up for sale. You are not going to write me out of history," Guru told MTV News. "You wouldn't hear anybody say 'Young Grandmaster Flash' or 'Young Kool Herc.' There's rules in hip-hop — that's what's being addressed in the song. It's as real as real can get."

Young Guru, who works behind the scenes with Freeway, Jay-Z, Memphis Bleek and Juelz Santana, countered saying that he's simply a fan and isn't interested in any sort of rap beef.

"For the record, DJ Premier is my favorite producer of all-time and Gangstarr is one of my favorite groups. I don't have no problem with dude and I don't know where it came from. I just want people to know I've been DJing since '87 under that name," the Wilmington, Delaware native said. "I'm not a rapper. I'm not a threat to [Guru]. I'm just
an engineer. I really wish nobody knew my name."

Despite upcoming disses, Young Guru said that he's going to stand firm by his assertion that he's going to maintain his moniker.

"At the end of the day, I'm not going to change my name."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to be honest i think Guru needs to calm down. its hard to believe he's resorted to dissing engineers...

sAfE.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Good article. Guru had such a distinct voice, and he was at his best with Premo's style yet when he did the Jazzmatazz stuff he shined just as much.

ill o.g.
Yea, and if it was a wack engineer then whatever. But i know young has been around for a while and aint that bad.

I love guru's shit, people say hes overrated but i love his style and all that. But i do feel hes goin overboard on young. Its not like he just came out. Youngs been around for a while.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
you know whats funny?

this cat spent his whole career making songs going at phantom, nameless mc's... and to my knowledge never called anyone out by name.....

and now, finally, he's going to do that.... to an engineer? he gonna take out the taggers named guru as well? i knew a b boy named guru... i met a dj named guru... a lot of people have that name and variations of it... that ARENT mc's...

personally i think this is a sad move on his part... trying to get in on the beef culture but after years of calling out imaginary mc's- or at least unwilling to name names- he finally does it by going at an engineer? tahts an eminem move if i ever saw one.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
I think its wack that Guru is takin it personal...calm the fuck down hes only a fuckin engineer...its not like hes gonna be on the mic like JAzzy fizzle and say YEA THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY YOUNG GURU FUCK YEA MAN!!!...na son it aint that serious instead of him takin his fustration out on an engineer why dont he use that rage to bring THE REAL HIP HOP AGAIN......

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
This reminds me of Spike Lee trying to sue Spike TV when they cam out. lol

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
FuriouZ said:
I think its wack that Guru is takin it personal...calm the fuck down hes only a fuckin engineer...its not like hes gonna be on the mic like JAzzy fizzle and say YEA THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY YOUNG GURU FUCK YEA MAN!!!...na son it aint that serious instead of him takin his fustration out on an engineer why dont he use that rage to bring THE REAL HIP HOP AGAIN......

word up

q-tip head!

Corpz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
this shits fuckin stupid.... i woulda thought guru woulda known better than start shit over this... maybe he should trademark the name Guru and act like a lil kid. stupid shit

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
yeah that's stupid.
it's not like guru is a word he came up with.

Tim D

Bitchn' Bout IRS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
dumbest thing ive ever heard, and im a Gangstarr fan

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah, the examples Guru used were dumb. You can't compare Young Grandmaster Flash to Young Guru, because guru is simply a word, where Grandmaster Flash is a full name that you hear no where else.