gospel rap

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
Do yall think that gospel rap will get to were hiphop is now cause i listen to them both its just gospel rap sucks i am sayin that the lyrics are tight but the beats sounds like shit. Do yall think that it will ever get to the place that the video's will be geting played on mtv,vh1, and BET.

just something to think about!!!!!!!!

Kevin A

Differentiated Rebel
ill o.g.
I would like to hear good gospel rap, but like you said it sucks. I can't stand that bubble gum flow. Kayne has a ground breaking joint on his album with a killa track, but that's not how Kanye got in the game feel me? I think mtv, bet, vh1 will commercialize it to the point that it's none effective, because you know that they make their money showin the negative stuff that the hip culture loves.

Synopsis

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
If by gospel rap you mean christian lyrics, then you haven't bothered to listen very hard. Cross Movement, Urban D, Syntax, those are just a few of the groups that have some serious talent. Of course if you meant a hybrid of gospel and rap, then nevermind.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
those are all groups that have mediocre talent.... they are just better than a lot of the other acts.

that is by and large the "gospel rap" forte- because the market is still young, and the people who buy it think its great because of the content. Christain music as a whole is a bit behind the rest of the music world, although the rock/acoustic groups tend to be a little better, with some actually being pretty good. the rappers arent really that good overall.

the ONLY "gospel rap" artist i have found with above average talent is Mars Ill, and they are actually good enough to contend with a large portion of the current underground. they fit right in somewhere between halftooth records and def jux.

and guys, please dont turn this thread into a forum for your personal religious views, as we have had to many threads that have turned into those (yes, i know, i have had a role in them all).. so please dont ruin the thread.

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It's a movement going on in Tidewater VA, there is even a college radio station that is an outlet for good gospel rap, some of the stuff is actually kinda gangsta, it's getting better too, there needs to be that balance in the music, not everyone has the same interests, i respect gospel rap a lot, and wouldn't mind producing for some rappers of that genre

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
ever heard of grits? Grammatical revolution in the spirit...

they have some talent.

how about t-bone's new shit?

I used to listen to gospel rap and these 2 were better than most for me.

Synopsis

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Cold Truth I'm talkin about the old school Cross Movement, like Heaven's Mentality and House Of Representatives, your telling me those guys were mediocore at best? Come on, they had some serious skill, especially Ambassador and Phanatik. The beats were rough, but to be perfectly honest, it reminded me of 36 Chambers in how they put those two albums together. I saw a Cross Movement show last summer in St.Paul and they did a great job, especially considering they threw the shit together on a baseball diamond. Sure they weren't the best by any means, but they were at least competitive skill wise to the underground artists at the time. I have to agree with you when it comes to their current content though, it seems they have left they're style that I loved back then and tried to match commercial style music, which they can't seem to do.

And just to make sure your not takin me wrong, I'm not slammin your opinion, everybody has their own taste. I just feel like they deserve more than a 'mediocore' rating.

PrOLifiK

Wax Fondling Since 420
ill o.g.
Yeah well if you are making christian music u proabably arent getting high and stuff so how could you make good music... lol jp

Ozmosis

Sound Tight Productions
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 201
I have cousins who are really into gospal rap and have there own group. The problem I have is that you have to make it clear to what your message is otherwise its just another rap song if the message isnt clear.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
to be honest i didnt evn know they had older music... but from what i have listened to, they are mediocre artists who are some of the better Christian artists, which isnt saying a whol elot when the whole of the movement is of a limited talent base.

of course, we all have personal views and opinions, even amoingst secular artists... its no biggie to me really.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I know of a good gospel rap group... I dont remember the name though... its something and Sound of Praise (SOP)... they do some traditional and hiphop

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
Yall heard of Gospel Gangstas? they out of LA, dont know if theyre still around but they was hard as hell back in the day.

I think its gonna blow up soon, now that ma$e is back in the game. Hes gonna be the one to take it to the next level cuz hes givin a somewhat good example of how it needs to sound if it wants to be commercialized. kayne west produced the track its called "welcome back" for those that dont know, mase became an evangalist a while back and started preachin, now hes back spittin for christ. (or atleast has a song out produced by kanye west spittin for christ) ummm im tired of typin holla back

members online