Gone 48bit / 96Khz

NORTH

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Has anyone here gone in and replaced their drum kits, samples, etc.. with higher quality formats? Has your sound been catapulted into a new dimension of fidelity?? I believe a HUGE aspect of hip hop production is QUALITY samples, which a lot of us miss, IE: by sampling MP3s, etc...

Where are you guys at on this??

-NORTH

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
NORTH said:
Has anyone here gone in and replaced their drum kits, samples, etc.. with higher quality formats? Has your sound been catapulted into a new dimension of fidelity?? I believe a HUGE aspect of hip hop production is QUALITY samples, which a lot of us miss, IE: by sampling MP3s, etc...

Where are you guys at on this??

-NORTH

I prefer a dirtier sounding drum as opposed to a cleaner sound. I like to knock drums down to 12 bits to mimic an older sampler. I've even knocked snares down to 8 bits.

Ctrl

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I think that the quality of a sample or sound is directly connected to the ear of whoever is doing the beat and what type of beat or song he or she is producing. I will never get rid of the sounds and samples that I have in 12 and 8 bit because these are the fundamentals of that hip hop sound. If I do some r&b ish I might try and totally clean up the sounds or go higher quality depending on the feel that I am trying to achieve. Alot of times it's the mixdown and mastering process that plays a big role in the final sound that you get, whether you start off with dirty or clean sounds.
ONE

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i think often the higher sample rates do not warrent the extra strain they place on your computer... if i am to use higher sampling rates for recording or for a whole project including synths sample shit etc. i would use 88.2 not 48 or 96 (much easier to dither from 88.2 to 44.1 than 96 or 48 to 44.1 do the maths !)

Producer X

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The human ear can't even discern anything outside of 20hz - 20khz (and that range lessens as you get older. So what's the purpose of going up to 96khz other than using more HD space. I think 24bit/48K hi enough. 24bit processing does sound a little beter than 16bit, but for now, it still has to be dithered down to 16bit for CDs. Just my opinion.

X

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Producer X said:
The human ear can't even discern anything outside of 20hz - 20khz (and that range lessens as you get older. So what's the purpose of going up to 96khz other than using more HD space. I think 24bit/48K hi enough. 24bit processing does sound a little beter than 16bit, but for now, it still has to be dithered down to 16bit for CDs. Just my opinion.

X

Artifacts thats why

Allows me to play with the sounds and really push them further recording them at that high res

Pharaoh Lite

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I heard Dr. Dre records at 96Khz and mixes final tracks down to a lower res. Don't know how true my sources are but it would seem pointless to reduce the bitrate from something super hi fi to something more than half the quality. Maybe he doesn't actually reduce the bitrate, maybe thats why his tracks sound so crisp and clean...

I have an Audiophile which has the ability to record and mix at 96Khz but like has been said before, it takes up HD space and not many people can pick up the difference between 96 and 44...or 88.2...

PrOLifiK

Wax Fondling Since 420
ill o.g.
M!nd_Ctrl said:
I prefer a dirtier sounding drum as opposed to a cleaner sound. I like to knock drums down to 12 bits to mimic an older sampler. I've even knocked snares down to 8 bits.

Ctrl

Yup whenever I sample drumsI record it in 8bit mono. I do that with most of my samples actaully. The reason I do this is just because I like them good and grimey

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
especially if you're using inferior a/d and d/a converters 88.2 can be very good (means the stuff in higher frequencys sound better including below 20hz....... if you're eqing you can really add sparkle good nice for verb. basic when you're applying effects within the digital realm you want all the best specs you can get.... that said my current computer cannot quite hack it so i work in 44.1 (but my a/d d/a converters are quality not m-audio etc.)

members online