Going to pick up DJing this winter.....

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
So in two weeks i'm going to have some free time and some money to blow so i'm going to make my long time dream of rocking the party become a reality. Just want to know if anyone has any recommendations on what to get. Definitely going to do Serato and i see they have a virtual turnatable set up thats pretty dope,but i lowkey want actual turntables.......Technics are running pretty cheap these days on Ebay.....suggestions? Advice?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Congrats! Are you looking to buy just used tables? Ya 1200s are cheap, but if you were to buy new, I would suggest the Stanton st150.

If you want used 1200s, that's great, then get some good needles. If it's for mainly mixing, there's Shure, Stanton and Ortofon.

For a mixer, there's tons of options. Do you want something simple or complex? What's your budget?

Also, Serato is dope but there's also Traktor from Native Instruments.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
technics, NI scratch duo package. If you want to go the turntablism route than hit a simple battlemixer, if you're going to spin clubmusic try a A&H zone

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
Congrats! Are you looking to buy just used tables? Ya 1200s are cheap, but if you were to buy new, I would suggest the Stanton st150.

If you want used 1200s, that's great, then get some good needles. If it's for mainly mixing, there's Shure, Stanton and Ortofon.

For a mixer, there's tons of options. Do you want something simple or complex? What's your budget?

Also, Serato is dope but there's also Traktor from Native Instruments.

technics, NI scratch duo package. If you want to go the turntablism route than hit a simple battlemixer, if you're going to spin clubmusic try a A&H zone

Thanks guys! I looked at the Stantons. Those are nice. The Technics are want i want but there is always the concern of buying used......Hadnt decided on a mixer..defintelty a battle mixer entry level to mid

Both of you guys suggested Scratch over Serato..any particular reason?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I hear ya about used shit. It's up to you. But if I were to buy a new turntable, I'd definitely go with the Stantons.

I have nothing against Serato, it's just I like NI products, I have Maschine, and Traktor just looked better to me than Serato.

Some of these mixers are stupid expensive like Rane. 2G's for a fucking mixer is ridiculous. If you go with Traktor, then get the Z2 for the mixer http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-mixer/traktor-kontrol-z2/ it comes with the software anyway.

A simple and cheap battle mixer that looks dope: http://www.djtechpro.com/product_detail.asp?cate_id=45&subcate_id=82&product_id=629 - comes with the innofader and Qbert loves it.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
ow shoot, i missed out on that z2

IT HAS INNOOOOOOFADERRRRRRRS!!!!

if it wasnt for the 05 and 07pro's i have now i'd consider it almost a no-brainer if i'd were to look for a new setup.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
So I'm all setup and ready to go. Any other tips??? Currently I've just been finding instrumentals and practicing beat matching

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 226

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Nice setup! I'm probably going to pick up the Stanton soon, how is it so far?

Ya the best thing is to start by matching instrumentals. If you want to blend (acapella of 1 song and instrumental of another song), then it's best to match in the instrumentals of both first. Then it will be easy to do the acapella.

Other than that, practice!

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Also, have fun! I suck at turntable shit, but man it's so fun that it doesn't even matter.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
Nice setup! I'm probably going to pick up the Stanton soon, how is it so far?

Ya the best thing is to start by matching instrumentals. If you want to blend (acapella of 1 song and instrumental of another song), then it's best to match in the instrumentals of both first. Then it will be easy to do the acapella.

Other than that, practice!
The Stantons are awesome ,but honestly i dont have much to compare to. I love the z2 mixer. Obviously works great with the software.

Also, have fun! I suck at turntable shit, but man it's so fun that it doesn't even matter.

Already having a ball..Matter of fact i have to keep myself focus. I will start jamming out and thinking I'm in a club and forgot that i suppose to be practicing

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's nice to hear about the Stantons. The problem is the 1200s are dead now so the 150's are the only good ones out there. But I've heard nothing but great things about them.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
That's nice to hear about the Stantons. The problem is the 1200s are dead now so the 150's are the only good ones out there. But I've heard nothing but great things about them.
Yeah the reviews I read for it say its as close to 1200s as you can get. A lot of reviewers have them as the second set and said they love them

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well there's always going to be a big debate about 1200 vs 150's but when you look at the specs, the 150 destroys the 1200. As far as USING them, I don't know because I haven't used the 150 yet, but I'm assuming it would be solid. I get the feeling that the ones saying "it's close to a 1200" just can't let go lol.

There's nothing wrong with improvement. It's like someone using an MPC Renaissance and saying that it's "close" to an MPC 2000XL. On specs though, the Ren wins.