Going to A Music Institution To Step Your Game Up?

T

The Bastard

been discussed and debated many times. the answers right in front of yur grille. did some of the best makers/producers in thegame go to school to step their game up?no . u can learn everything you need to know on this website. no lie

young_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i dont think its worth it. Its kind of like the kid who would goto high price basketball camps every summer and got nothing out of it but the free lunch, while another kid just went the basketball court in the hood everyday and went hard and is on his way to the nba

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
I think it's a great idea to take classes on different aspecs of music productions.

Anubis-Ra

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It's really more about the natural talent you have in my opinion. Just try to listen to all kinds of different music.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
If you take Music Tech and Production they teach you how to use different equipment and How to train your ear etc. They teach you how to mix and master etc.

They aren't teaching you "how to make phat beatz kid". Or anything else stupid like that. Alot can be learned. If you are thinking about it I say give it a try. Anything that gives you an edge is worth doing. And think of it like this. Atleast you can make a career out of it. So while your trying to make it with your beats or whatever. You can still make your living being an engineer or something. What's wrong with that.

Sometimes I think this place is so stupid.

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
Producing - NO
Engineering - YES (Keep in mind, the knowledge you learn at school in the engineering field, will undoubtedly step up your production game. You'll be able to mix your tracks much better, and take those beats from mediocre, to bangin).

This is from my own personal experiance (I'm a Full Sail grad). As far as engineering, you don't even necessarily need to go to school, but you will NOT learn it on your own. The only reason I would advise not going to school, is if you have a hookup to start interning or shadowing a skilled engineer.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
djswivel said:
Producing - NO
Engineering - YES (Keep in mind, the knowledge you learn at school in the engineering field, will undoubtedly step up your production game. You'll be able to mix your tracks much better, and take those beats from mediocre, to bangin).

This is from my own personal experiance (I'm a Full Sail grad). As far as engineering, you don't even necessarily need to go to school, but you will NOT learn it on your own. The only reason I would advise not going to school, is if you have a hookup to start interning or shadowing a skilled engineer.

A good engineer can't make something medocre bangin. All great engineers are great b/c they have talent AND are given great material to work with.

Honeslty, these schools make their money off of selling you the Kanye dream. The problem is, Kanye never went to one of them. Nor did most if not all big producers. Your time is much better spent on learning the basics of engineering (i.e the three components of a great mix) and spending much more time on finding samples, listening to new music, and making beats.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
djswivel said:
Producing - NO

Atleast you get it. Hahaha

djswivel said:
As far as engineering, you don't even necessarily need to go to school, but you will NOT learn it on your own.

Exactly.

Hi-Lo said:
Your time is much better spent on learning the basics of engineering (i.e the three components of a great mix) and spending much more time on finding samples, listening to new music, and making beats.

The point of the school isn't to learn to make beats. And if your gonna learn how to engineer, than what better way than with a qaulified person teaching you in a professional enviornment?

Many many many musicians have attended a music college ( most note-worthy is Berklee in Boston). It's definitly worth the money spent, I don't care what anybody says. Do you wanna have a hobby that turns a profit once in awhile or do you want a career that pays your bills for the rest of your life?

Thats the choice. I beleive in going all out and not limiting myself in any way. I want any opportunity to make money in music for the long term. I don't ever need to blow up. I don't care about being known. All I want is to get paid doing what I love.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
J Cro said:
The point of the school isn't to learn to make beats. And if your gonna learn how to engineer, than what better way than with a qaulified person teaching you in a professional enviornment?

\

You're exactly right, except you don't understand the mentality of many people going into Berklee or similar schools. Many of them think they will learn how to become star producers, not engineer, and its selling them a false hope. If you want to learn to engineer, thats great, but don't trip, even the biggest names in the producing game don't engineer their own shi*. In no way do you need to know a lot about engineering to be a good or great producer, so if you're looking to PRODUCE, as I said, I personally think you are better off spending your time on producing and not at an engineering program or producing/engineering hybrid program.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
I think it's good because you do learn alot. and you can meet alot of people etc. It's all the fun of college and you get to do music shit at the same time.