Go Ahead and Make Simple Type Beats (Maybe You'll Reach $40,000 in a month...Eventually

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
Didnt watch the video but i think if you really in for the bucks its a good idea not only to follow trends but have a wide variety of "types". Like Boom Bap, Trap, Drill, abstract shit and so on. Never focus on one type only. More variety = more potential customers.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
For me, it's been a hobby for maybe 7/8 years. It's just good to know what's possible if you want to focus on exclusively making beats in your career. But yes, the right keyword strategy can work.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
It's oversatturated.

And you need to ask yourself, do you really want to spend your life making generic music that no one will ever care about?

Or do you want to create actual music/art that has some longevity that will make you a name.

If you just want to make money, invest your time in something else.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
It's oversaturated if all you are doing is making and posting beats online and not building strategic relationships.

But you're essentially becoming a salesman selling generic products, as opposed to an artist/musician creating art.

You can make 100 type beats a day, they require no effort. They're all the same.

But can you create a record, a song, a hit?

Like I said, if you goal is money, stop grinding type beats and pursue a career with higher guarantee of money.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
But you're essentially becoming a salesman selling generic products, as opposed to an artist/musician creating art.

You can make 100 type beats a day, they require no effort. They're all the same.

But can you create a record, a song, a hit?

Like I said, if you goal is money, stop grinding type beats and pursue a career with higher guarantee of money.
It be like that, it always was. 99% of ppl wont "make it". Its just chasing a dream thats not gonna fulfill. Game is rigged from bottom to top, believe it or not. Its not the hard work you put in, not saying top artists aint working hard, but other ppl with money and influence that decide if they wanna make you or not.

You gotta have something to you that can get sold, be it 2Pac with all his THUG LIFE shit, be it Dilla, be it Storch or whoever tf. Those ppl got made by someone else. You need to be special in a way that generates milllions for those im charge.

Aint no such thing as a selfmade man/woman.

Or you gotta be of interest to the public to be able to sell shit and its still just 1% of ppl, rest are generic NPCs.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
It be like that, it always was. 99% of ppl wont "make it". Its just chasing a dream thats not gonna fulfill. Game is rigged from bottom to top, believe it or not. Its not the hard work you put in, not saying top artists aint working hard, but other ppl with money and influence that decide if they wanna make you or not.

You gotta have something to you that can get sold, be it 2Pac with all his THUG LIFE shit, be it Dilla, be it Storch or whoever tf. Those ppl got made by someone else. You need to be special in a way that generates milllions for those im charge.

Aint no such thing as a selfmade man/woman.

Or you gotta be of interest to the public to be able to sell shit and its still just 1% of ppl, rest are generic NPCs.

Ehhh but this is the thing - what are you trying to achieve?

If you're trying to put out actual records, win a grammy, have writing credits on songs, etc etc... sitting there spamming type beats is not the way. There's always exceptions, but in that case you're leaving everything to pureee chance. Absolute chance.

Obviously luck is still and always involved, but if you actually do the right things your chance/luck will increase.

The music industry is reaaally small and incestual. You largely just have to be doing the right things.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Ehhh but this is the thing - what are you trying to achieve?

If you're trying to put out actual records, win a grammy, have writing credits on songs, etc etc... sitting there spamming type beats is not the way. There's always exceptions, but in that case you're leaving everything to pureee chance. Absolute chance.

Obviously luck is still and always involved, but if you actually do the right things your chance/luck will increase.

The music industry is reaaally small and incestual. You largely just have to be doing the right things.
I personally dont try to achieve anything, music is just my preferred method of expression.

Imo type beats suck on deez nutz, we ve seen it in the past, Gangsta Rap started to blow up and every nukka jumped on that train to get bucks, but still only those that were leaders of the game got big and known. Those were just doing their shit and it happened that it appealed to masses. Now its melodic trap /drill.

There is no recipe but ppl still want to find that "holy grail" of being successful. While ppl are chasing fairytales...

Ima out here building up my CULT OF KEEPIN IT REAL, FO RILLAZ AINT DEAD, DONT GET IT TWISTED. GEEEEEAH. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
My point more is, most of these kids think "omg if i make the same beat 50,000 people are making, with the same beat tag 100,000 people also have, then I'm going to become a multi-millionaire grammy award winning producer A-List celeb"

Thats good for me, more people should do this so i can pass right by on DA REALNESS TRUCK.

Keep making type beats ya ll.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
On the business tip, when you segment your market by using type beats you are just helping people find your sound. It's just a marketing tactic. Type beats whether anyone likes it or not is not going away any time soon. Everyone fits a certain type, even if they are new and/or charting. I agree that people shouldn't make the same beat that everyone else is making but to me, a type beat is in the same vein of an artist, not necessarily a copy of what already has been made.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
a type beat is in the same vein of an artist

And here's one the issues... but the artist doesn't make beats?

It's like saying 'snoop dogg type beat' -- how? Snoop has beats from Dre, Timbaland, Preemo, Pharrell etc etc etc etc (trivia: Snoop actually produces beats under the name Niggaracci)

Yeah I get it, it's saying "oh it sounds like a beat Drake would be on", but that's the issue, it completely removes any significance of a producer. You're nameless, meaningless, why woud anyone come to you for a beat? With producers usually they bring with them their own sound/style and that's why they're sought after.

Anyone paying for a type beat is dumb --- why pay for a type beat when you can find 50,000 other identical quality beats and get it for free?

You talk about marketing, how on earth is it good marketing to have exactly the same marketing as everyone else you're competing with??

And this is the otherrr issue with it --- people talking too much in business term (yes i get you're a brand, and blabla), but people approach it too formally removed from what it is. Like you're a company selling a product. As opposed to you're a professional selling a service. It comes across as oddly contrived and impersonal.

I recently spoke with head of music marketing for a major label, and they said that it is currently the complete opposite way you should be going about things.

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
  • "Anyone paying for a type beat is dumb" --- Beatstars is built on Type Beats (https://www.theringer.com/2020/7/17/21328212/type-beats-youtube-beatstars-mjnichols-soulker): CEO is laughing to the bank at all the so called "dummies" the very artists that producers/beatmakers work with who buy the beats. -- Wow, you could offend a lot of artists with that statement.
  • "How on earth is it good marketing to have exactly the same marketing as everyone else you're competing with??" - I agree it works less these days and the stuff that really works the best, you don't hear about unless you are in certain circles. Even advertising beats is not as effective as it used to be now that everyone knows that "secret ".
  • The beat IMO has been commoditized as a product unless it is customized as a service for the rapper, I know that can be confusing. I get it, a producer mostly offers services to the artist too.
  • I agree, producers and beatmakers are usually behind the scenes from a brand perspective these days when they are the ones who should get a lot of credit. Fresh Prince and Rakim got the naming right back in the day.
  • "Eric Schellderfer, who produces under the name PremiseOnTheBeat, also began uploading type beats on YouTube when he was in high school in 2014. In the description of each upload he puts a link to his BeatStars account, which now has over 12,000 followers." --- Not a bad marketing job, maybe your head of music marketing could learn a few things from Eric.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
I think its just a difference in goals that lead to that discussion. There are people that just want to move in an established zone and thats fine.

And there are people that have the urge to push the limits of the boundries that are set, people that want to take the game to the next level, watch and make it evolve.

And people that are talking about the industry are imo just telling enough to keep you in the zone but not enough to make you evolve from Pikachu to Raichu.

Its like, no banker would ever tell you how money really works, since that would mean that you wouldnt want to have anything to do w8th banks. But thats another topic.

There are followers and there are leaders.

Mortal Kombat announcer voice: CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY.

members online