Ghost Writers!!

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think it was Cuban LInx, he was on the radio claiming big pun wrote the earlier FAT JOE stuff, like Flow Joe and what have you, and now that he's dead he has another writer that's why his style changed some what, now I used to be a fat joe fan and he's been putting it down for like 10 yrs time for him to get that shine, but how do you feel about mc's who don't write, to me it's corny, but a lot of my fav. mc's has had a song written for them, Joe Buddens comes to mind!! And who are your favorite ghost writers?

D

DaFunkDocta2004

jaydub23510 said:
I think it was Cuban LInx, he was on the radio claiming big pun wrote the earlier FAT JOE stuff, like Flow Joe and what have you, and now that he's dead he has another writer that's why his style changed some what, now I used to be a fat joe fan and he's been putting it down for like 10 yrs time for him to get that shine, but how do you feel about mc's who don't write, to me it's corny, but a lot of my fav. mc's has had a song written for them, Joe Buddens comes to mind!! And who are your favorite ghost writers?

The claims Cuban Link are making are so wild, yet so true. At one point, during "Jealous One's Envy", Method Man was "coaching" dude on his flow also. As far as MCs that don't write, it depends on one fact: honesty. Dr. Dre and Puffy don't hide the fact that most if not all their lyrics were written by someone else. Now, with cases like Foxy Brown (for that first album), Big Boi (Andre wrote the first album, maybe the 2nd), and even A Tribe Called Quest (Tip wrote the first album), it's just disappointing. In the cases like Queen Latifah (Apache wrote "Ladies First"), it's just sad and pretty twisted (remember "Gangsta B***h?)

Personally, I think it's ok to bounce lyrical ideas off of your man, maybe even help with a line or two, you know, get feedback. But someone else writing my whole song? Hell no. I still believe in the resourcefulness of Hip-Hop that needs self-reliance on fully expressing YOURself. It's kinda hard to call...

SIGH, anyway, favorite ghostwriters:
1) Jay-Z
2) Skillz
3) Sauce Money
4) Bad Azz
5) Lloyd Banks (lol)

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i remember that Foxy Brown shit, that's when LIl kim started getting at her, damn Andre 3000 is a rapping mf, I think GRAPH is a ghost writer, and you're dead right about the honesty thing, cause JadaKISs would've got rich fucking with puffy, and It's so said in his situation cause I'm a credit reader, and PUFFY"S name is on everysong on this new and the last CD, how much freaking money do he owe PUFFY, and if he aint paid that yet it makes you wonder does he really have dough like that, probably not, but one more question, when someone ghost writes does that mean they get the money up front and keep there mouth shut or if you knew there real name there name would be in the credits?

JAY-Z he even wrote Memphis Bleek first rhyme on Reasonable Doubt

SKILLS

I believe CAM wrote for Mase or something like that

BIG

Lloyd Banks (lol)- tell me he didn't write for 50!

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Yo this happens with mad cats these days and in the past. It sucks, I never knew about Tribe tho,,,arrrgh,,they are my favorite. Dam Phife diggy! But anyways, many, many dudes have ghostwriters. I also know that L-Boogie aka Lauren Hill wrote all the Fugee joints. And a friend of mine sold 3 joints(lyrics) to Def Jam in 96. He did tell me one was for a female MC,,,do the math!

When I'm in the studio, and someone's like yo change that line to "This",,,and I try it,,,then thats cool, but whole joints?

G-French

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I really don't think it is that big a deal because people have always done it. I think most R&B cats do it all the time but nobody is mad at Avant. LOL Would you really want some who can write good but can't sing to get out there and make a fool of them self?

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
right^^^^

its only looked down upon in hip hop. every other genre of music is fine with songwriters. i don't know why we think its high treason. i just don't like the fact of people trying to hide it. be upfront about somebody else writing your songs...

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
mercurywaters said:
right^^^^

its only looked down upon in hip hop. every other genre of music is fine with songwriters. i don't know why we think its high treason. i just don't like the fact of people trying to hide it. be upfront about somebody else writing your songs...
Its looked down upon because that is the emcee's only talent, feel me? A singer can get that off because they're main talent is a singing voice. (Ja Rule is the exception. lol)

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
StressWon said:
Hey Merc, I feel what ya sayin, but I agree wit Clev. It's true, If ya an MC then that is ya job. To write the lyrics. If someone wrote my lyrics for me,,,I'de kick my own ass!
LOL... Yea it's like this website; I designed it, but Fade is taking the credit secretly.....(Just playing Fade)

D

DaFunkDocta2004

jaydub23510 said:
i remember that Foxy Brown shit, that's when LIl kim started getting at her, damn Andre 3000 is a rapping mf, I think GRAPH is a ghost writer, and you're dead right about the honesty thing, cause JadaKISs would've got rich fucking with puffy, and It's so said in his situation cause I'm a credit reader, and PUFFY"S name is on everysong on this new and the last CD, how much freaking money do he owe PUFFY, and if he aint paid that yet it makes you wonder does he really have dough like that, probably not, but one more question, when someone ghost writes does that mean they get the money up front and keep there mouth shut or if you knew there real name there name would be in the credits?

JAY-Z he even wrote Memphis Bleek first rhyme on Reasonable Doubt

SKILLS

I believe CAM wrote for Mase or something like that

BIG

Lloyd Banks (lol)- tell me he didn't write for 50!

Now we all know what the biggest issue for pure Hip-Hoppers is: authenticity. This is an artform that we scrapped together to get through harsh Reaganomics, with NO ONE's help, no after-school programs, no music programs our folks could afford, etc.---well, except Kool Herc's---it's a music that was built on self-reliance, self-containment, and vast resourcefulness. It was up to the DJ and the MC and that was IT.

Yo man, as far as Jada...it's a lot worse than owing money. That's a PIECE of Jada's publishing going directly to Puff's publishing arm for maybe Kiss's next 4 or 5 albums. No lie. Just like Suge and Snoop....even though that's over now, lol, since the "Last Meal" LP.

Let's not forget a couple that went against the grain...Monie Love is debatably the first female MC to wrote all her won lyrics for her album. She got some assistance from Baby Bam of the Jungle Bros., but only on one song.

And as far as how ghostwriters get paid, it depends. Most of those guys have to sign an agreement to never acknowledge that they ghost-wrote a song, for credibility reasons. For new cats, they only have two options...take the cash upfront, which could be anywhere from $25,000 to even $300,000 OR take the points...it depends on who you are. I'm sure Jay told Dre, "fuck it, I'll take the points"...or both, lol. I know Skills is not legally allowed to say who he wrote songs for. Hi-tek can't talk about the "In The Club" beat either...

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
cleverwon said:
Its looked down upon because that is the emcee's only talent, feel me? A singer can get that off because they're main talent is a singing voice.

Yo, sign me up on this ballot. The lyrics are supposed to be an expression of who you are; so, how can that be if someone else wrote them? Besides most MC's brag alot, how can you feel good about bragging if you didn't even write your bragadochio style? Is that why all these cats switched from bragging about their skills to bragging about what they own (but shit they don't even usually own it, they rent...LOL)?

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
as an emcee my only talent isn't writing. there's a lot to be said for being able to deliver what you write. i know emcees who can write they ass off but it doesn't sound good coming out of their mouths. i definitely think that an emcee should write his own stuff, but a rapper on the other hand.....

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
I don't look down on it ..... If it's good music I could care less who wrote it. It really doesn't matter. Fuck keepin' it real, street cred, etc ..... it's all about how good the music is ... I wouldn't give a fuck if Jay-z never wrote one song on his own ..... etc, etc, etc, why does it matter .... R Kelly writes so much R&B for different artist it's ridiculous .... Some of the best songs are done this way because there is creativity coming from all different angles. It's like the times I'm in the studio and the artist is trying to produce his own vocals ..... I feel like saying shut the fuck up and play your position .... be a artist ..... all you are is a instrument. We just need your voice because it's appealing to listen to and I'm going to direct it in the way I hear it over the beat (That's what a real producer does not just make beats) ..... Should we look down on Al Pacino for not writing his own lines in the movie The Godfather? It's the same thing ..... Music is a form of entertainment that we sometimes take to literal. It's not about getting credit because sometimes people will get there publishing or just be considered a work for hire and receive a flat rate but they usually know what there getting into. When your talking about the music business the bottom line is making money and come up with good product to sell. Numbers baby, numbers .........

These are my opinions and I am not forcing them on anyone. I know some will disagree. That's expected, so I would appreciate if you comment tastefully and not force your opinions on me.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
mercurywaters said:
as an emcee my only talent isn't writing. there's a lot to be said for being able to deliver what you write. i know emcees who can write they ass off but it doesn't sound good coming out of their mouths. i definitely think that an emcee should write his own stuff, but a rapper on the other hand.....
That's a good point. I know a couple of people that can write, but the delivery is fuckin ass.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
mercurywaters said:

Since ya put it as Emcee vs Rapper,,,there is a big difference!

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Well, I think ghostwriting is cool but atleast admit that someone wrote it for u... Don't try and hide it.. Like i know Royce da 5'9 did some writing for dre on the Cronic 2000 album And so did Jay-z And Eminem... Don't know if dre tried to hide it.. Cause we all know Lyrikally Dre aint there as much as he was back in the day... But, Shit has changed and I would never hate on Dre... I got nothin but love for the man.. He just wants to put out the best joints he can and I respect that to the fullest...

Tim D

Bitchn' Bout IRS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Did anyone see 106 and Park where Mase was saying he was ghostwriting while he was out of the game, for "grammy winning artists"? lol, somehow i dont beleive Mase but w/e lol

E

Equality 7-2521

mcs who dont write ther songs suck.

i ask: how can you be wholeheartedly passionate rapping someone elses words, even if you agree with the concept of what is written?

fuck that shit.

jaydub23510

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
a yo, another thing too, these rappers like Kanye West, I hate his voice, I mean it sounds like he's screaming on the mic, and his voice is irritating, Jay-Z, Helter Skelter, Buck Shot, OGC, Raekwon, Scarface, these guys have distinguishing voices, you need that for me to buy your album, I even hate Em's voice he sounds like a whiny lil teenager,Biggie and Craig mack had great voices,

I wouldn't mind so much like a D.O.C. who lost his voice to lend some songs to an mc or Kanye with his weak voice to write for an entertainer like Puffy,

theres a difference between an mc and entertainer which is why a lot of underground cats won't blow up, they don't give good shows!