Gear pairing with Maschine

PhDBeats

Dr. Boom Bap
Hey guys.

I have been using my Maschine solely to make beats and it has been working well for me. I have been thinking of picking up another piece of gear though if it increases my workflow.

What piece of gear works well and helps with your workflow? I was considering a decent midi keyboard (I have a M-Audio Oxygen, but I don't use it much). I was also considering a turntable and mixer for cuts.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Well it depends on what you want to do though. Turntable and mixer would be great if you want to add scratching, but if you just want flexibility then a keyboard controller is enough. Why not use the Oxygen more? Maybe what you're missing isn't gear but software. What about some VSTs?

PhDBeats

Dr. Boom Bap
@Fade - the oxygen is ok, but it has a loose USB connection and it is big and bulky for my desk. I may go with the Akai MPK Mini MK2 and try out the MPC Essentials software and Hybrid 3 synth. Not quite sure yet though. The turntable idea also intrigues me.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
@PhDBeats I have a Maschine and just recently picked up the MPK MK2 for the same reason as you. I enjoy using Maschine as a controller for drums, but for melodies, a midi controller is ideal. I haven't had a lot of time to explore the software synth it comes with, it looks pretty powerful, but difficult to use if you don't know how to manipulate synths. As a controller though the MPK is nice because it has pads and keys, octave shift and lots of knobs for modulation. I also like that it's really small, so you can pop it in your back pack with a laptop and still have a functional studio on the go. Keys feel nice, build quality isn't too cheap either. If you have any questions let me know.

members online