Future producers

• Thread starter CaptainCommando
  • Start date
C

CaptainCommando

Nowadays it seems like everybody's trying to produce or rap or scratch, what advice would some of you guys who have been doin this for awhile give to someone starting out like me? Obviously you're going to have an original sound that people like, but what else is important?

milLion

buildin'
ill o.g.
research is a must -- study those whose music you enjoy -- don't restrict yourself to one genre either -- find their production elements that interest you -- and perfect them into your own art -- ask questions -- dig deep for things -- and most of all -- practice practice practice

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Advice I would give future producers is have a different style and learn how to use everything in the studio and save every beat you make...just because you don't like it doesn't mean that someone else will feel the same

F

Frenchg

I am new and what I think is that you should just come out with what you like. Don't just go with what is hot right now. It is very easy end up trying to sound like your fav producer. Also try some other types of music. This will keep you creative. And just because one person does not like what you are doing doesn't
mean everyone won't like it.

HaZwaiOh

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
1st of all: do your thing. if you sample try to use sample sources that have not been used yet (no more al green etc.). chop up sounds and flip them. get inspiration from other artists without biting their style. do some serious research before you buy hard/software. once you have found your setup, stop wanting to buy more expensive gear, but see what you can go with your current stuff. speed up, slow down samples. play them reverse. use panorama. use breaks and try to come up with something new! don´t be afraid to try new things. if you are into sampling make sure you don´t just cut one sample into 3 loops. If you think your beat is done, start eqing and compressing your sounds. if you use software don´t try to get everything that starts with vsti or dxi of from kaaza. limit yourself and try to master the stuff you own right now. Lay some 12" acapella on your beat and see how it sounds. Lots of beat sound nice as an instrumental, but turn out to be unsuitable for rappers. Start adding breaks and fx. There´s a difference between making a beat and making a track with an mc. If you have managed that try to get some local artist to start a track with. don´t use the same drum and bass sounds over and over. nobody said you can´t use samples from different origin in the same track - mix up stuff. Start your own sound library. Don´t just do sample digging when you want to make a track, but save good samples and keep them for a while. the next time you want to make a beat check your stuff and see what you can do with it now. don´t push yourself and don´t forget to have a good time.

... turned out to be quite long. anyways, i hope some of you can relate and find some useful information in this post

Q

Ques

To tell the truth just be yourself and represent hip hop the way you feel and see as fit. We can all give advice but that only from what we feel for or is hip hop as a producer. do what all have said and just make some thigh beats.

P

PHILharmonic

LOVE what you do... hip-hop has always been a gumbo/melting pot so feel free to take from any elements of other musics that inspire you to do so... hip-hop or any other music for that matter has LIFE when it's unrestricted, unadulterated, PURE... don't be afraid to push boundaries once you have the basic elements down... UNIFY da MUSIC & you UNIFY da PEOPLE

E

EXEL THE BRAIN

JUST BE YOURSELVES AND DO YOUR THING YO......... AS LONG AS YOU GOT SOME FIRE YOU STRAIGHT WITH ME.......EVENTUALLY THAT FIRE WILL TURN INTO SOME NICE HARDWARE........... HOPEFULLY AN MPC LOL..................... <GREATEST MACHINE EVER CREATED...................... AIGHT YALL
ONE

D

dutchbeats

you are ur own critic fuck what every1 else thinks,,, and b patient

D

detox_one

Keep it real... although its pretty vague, you know what I mean... Follow your hart, and like homeboy said, know oyur gear. Peace Y'all

O

OneNineBlock

tha only thing thats important is that you feel your shit and when you show ur shit to other people they feel it...if pepls is feelin ur shit than u kno ur doin somethin right...i think tha best way to produce is juss to sample mad old shit that no1 ever herd of than juss fuck wit it till it sounds good