Fruity Loops vs Reason 3.0 - Which is better? Here it is!

trinidad

The Last B-Boy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
you right

N.U.G. said:
both programs are dope in my opinion
That is something we can all agree on its all personal preference bu like dude said if u make shit on Fl you gonna make shit on reason.

FuzE

i make beatz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 99
trinidad said:
I think the whole debat lies on whether or not ur trying to be Pete Rock or Scott Storch feel me. Ive been usinf FL since '99 and i personally prefer it, i actually like it more than my MPC 2000xl, The slicer is personally the illest tool in FL, The key in FL is to make everything sound as if u were using an MPC low filters and layering is , My stuff sound like pete rock or premier, so i guess for that sound Fl rules , the VST's are cool i have banged out a few like that but it think FL works best with samples, also sice i use Pro Tools i love that i can bring the wavs in sperate files as opposed to using Reason as an instrument in the PT.
Reason on the other hand is cool too but to just get started u need to learn befor u even can drop any thing, Reason give i think is better for ppl who dont sample n jus make everything from scratch, but to sample i dont like it too much, plus Redrum is kinda corney. every thing else in reason is iight the interface is a bit difficult at first.
But to wrap it up I think it all depends on what kinda music ur making.

Thats it right there. If you're into chopping samples then FL is the way to go. If you're into composing beats with instrumentation then reason is a mutha.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
if you know reason well you can work on cubase, if you know FL you can work with logic, if you can work with logic you can work with reason, if you work with cubase, you can work with reason, if you can work with nuendo you can work with SX, if you can work with sx, you can work with logic, if you can drive a truck, you can drive a car.

Fact is that all these proggies share the same basics with little differences. Quality is relative to plugs that have been used or when no plugs are available (and wether the user is noob or not). One thing about quality remains sure, rendering engines are important as it translates your work into a fine format. So far FL proves to have the cleanest rendering engine although peeps might refer to FL as the proggie with that shitty sound and samples.... I refer to them people as noobs.... as usual...

When talking about flexibility I must say that FL is much easier to work with due to the hotkeys and the option to move windows around opposed to Reason (I'd rather work with 2 8HE racks than 1 16HE rack). Flippin to through the windows are all to easy with assigned Function keys and Tab. You might think it's rediculous to make a judgement based on these features but working 14 years with pc's makes you wanna use the mouse as less as possible to prevent RSI (it also works a lot faster).

Oke, the legacy plugs ( instruments ) on FL are crap except for FPC, Granulizer and Slicer. All those other synths/instrument are miles away from the likes of NI, Gmedia or Arturia but fortunatly you can use them in the program, so there's CHOICE from within the platform. The effects and dynamics are good and very useable but again, you can use vst's so there's choice... all midi device are available from filters to controllers for joysticks and are available as plugs aswell.

FL records audio like any other multi tracker, but has more realtime editing options or different editing options in realtime which makes the production process appealing for those who like to experiment or work the more progressive approach.

Good things about Reason...

Although I havent used 3.0 and have no intentions in doing so, not much has changed except for the mastering suite. The concept of reason wouldn't have been complete without it but if it's better than all the 1000 other potential mastering devices outside reason is a bit far fetched...Its probably good...much better when having proper nearfields (if you know what I'm saying). There's a new rackmixer of which I see no extra advantage opposed to the regular console except that its smaller.
There's this thing to turn reason into a live machine but I wonder how many hiphop heads will take their laptop and midicontrollers live to stage ( an mpc looks much slicker hehehe ). but really, that advantage has more value for the technoheads.

oke oke, the good things.....

Redrum, same like version 1.0, 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 had no need for changes and Dr Rex. Those two are key in Reason. The synths should've been updated ( or added ) as they are way behind the competition since release 1.0. NNXT or 19 are good but not special when looking at other sample engines ( and I dislike the filters as they sound really thin ) but for the rest they have all the same features you'd find on FL, Reaktor etc etc etc.

So, get your basics on midi and audio right, you'll see that all programs relate in the same fashion, one just a bit more up to date then the other, cheaper than the other or more restricted than the other.

and that's how it goes

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
ShortFuze said:
Thats it right there. If you're into chopping samples then FL is the way to go. If you're into composing beats with instrumentation then reason is a mutha.

FL composes at 768ppq, Reason doesnt. Other than that they're both practically identical when it comes to writing scores. Sampling on FL is the shit indeed, but if you follow the Recycle protocol than you have no problem whatsoever on reason either. FL does have more options to play around with the samples opposed to NNXT or 19 which have pretty much only the basics, or at least all the features you would find on a similar sampler engine on which FL has added some special features you wont find on other engines. Wether that's usefull or not is up to the user, I consider them very and very very usefull, in fact, if it wasnt for those option I'd be Logic all the way.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
[reason still doesnt extract indvidual tracks for example

yo dude you just gotta solo a channel if you wanna export a single track....simple

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
King Corruption said:
yo dude you just gotta solo a channel if you wanna export a single track....simple

duh, that trick works on any platform hehe. The pain here is that when you have 24 tracks with 24 instrument you'll solo-render 24 times to get the whole track to wav. Fl renders all instrument (instrument's that are assigned to a strip on the mixer) and fx(when assigned to sends) individualy and at the same time. So at max it can render 64 assigned channels incl 4 sends at the same time, that's a real time saver when looking at the stoneage protocol you mentioned above. It's not a bad protocol, just painstakingly annoying if you finished after 3 hours of pre production and need it stripped down for mixing at other studio/platform... I just go back n forth, pre in FL, mix in logic or cubase or FL.

Thaz just one small little feature that gets me choosing the FL way.

And WORD at Kevin A, peeps dont know half of it, this issue is a cliche and it smells like noob spirit. I mean what can I say, too bad for them kids who got them opinions headlocked.