Fruity Basics Updated

SupaStar

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
One of the things I love most about this site is reaching a point at which your good enough now to teach..it’s an impressive feeling. I have noticed that in my absence most of the articles here have become outdated as softwares advance. I was going to save this for an article but we can do that at a later date. I am noticng that the questions keep popping up about Fl..mainly its basics…
That my main focus with this article…Fl has become so advanced i’ll probably be extending this article for a while…so just ask away..and i'll update this as your questions come in
First: The Setup

Basics.jpg

Truly theres is no way to teach FL Studio, theres so many tutorial websites dedicated to it. But without trial and error theres no true way to master it. Take a look at the image an you'll see just how complex this software has grown at it sixth version. The image above is the latest Fl Studio 6..
The setup includes you
1 Step Sequencer... thinks of this as a digital drum machine like your mpc..the one i have up is a 16 beat one bar and if you look up top by Tempo (PAT) pattern 1..which means it already beats your mpc..why i think the only limit you have on the amount of patterns or drum machines you can add is the power of your pc..(Try this on a open instance of Fl the left right keys on your keyboard scrolls thru the patterns). The uses of a Step Sequencer is quite basic each single beat you can turn off and on to let the computer know when to hit a sample...but you may want to turn the tempo down to around 90 bpm..so your beat dont start to sound techno..Fl usually starts you off with a nice practice kit like the one i have open.. Press PLAY and turn the beats on individually just to hear something...only rule of thumb though is that the timing of the snare remains constant usually on the 5th and the 10th beat...

Next You have the Piano Roll which is still your individual sample mapped out against a 10 octave keyboard, when you start getting into and understand instruments..like Fl Keys found in Channels>Add One, you'll now have the option to add melody to your drum track simple by click inside of the Piano Roll Window...i'll expand on this in another thread

Next You Have Your Playlist which is used to combine all of patterns together in one. In turn creating a song,, think of it as where you design your beat..say for example the regular layout of hip hop...Say on Pattern 1 I have the main beat, Patten 2 I have the change up or i invent a really cool drum cadence to distinguish the end of the fourth bar.
On the Playlist i would select Pattern 1, 3 times then Pattern 2...and repeat til I have 8 , next I design a really cool melody or hook on Pattern 3 to let the audience or my potential mc know hey this where the hooks at it also make the track individual a really tight melody usually determines also what the artiste will write thats the are of strength and focus is in any beat rest of the track the mc's yapping til u get to the hook where for most people with short term memory like me thats the only part they remember ..add Pattern 3 4 Bars and then thats it a simple track...I think thats the basic formula usedby most artists
Here What It Looks Like
playlist.jpg

Next is your Sample Browser and Library, here you can access File and Folders, for quick and easy access to your samples..Fl comes with a basic kit with is disco sounding, but it makes good for practice, there listed under Packs in your browser, you can extend this, by going to Options> File Settings and adding your own Folder or Folders Location
library.jpg

2 Next we want to take a look at shaping the sample and adding effects...on the photo I have up you'll notice that I have Snare is selected and the Channel\Sample Settings Box opens here you turn any sample into mush...here is where my tutorial maxes and is now determined by your will to tinker. I really dont mess with many of the buttons seen on here..why? my brain dont understand many of the algorithms and mathematical equations that go along with them...Besides I am an "as is" and i believe once you start tweaking a sound your begin to shift genres... The only most basic tool you'll need all the time is the effects router window..this determines which of the mixer channels your mixer is routed thru...mine on the image is routed to the Master..which by rule of thumb is breaking a crucial law..why? packing everything into the Master means the track cant be mixed...or you wont be able to tweak each sound individually

The next photo we're gonna look at is understanding the fx panel
Snare is still selected
First look at the Channels Setting Options Panel there'll you find a great feature Ctrl+L...this will automatically route and name your sample in a an empty channel in the mixer panel, but Channel Settings has to be selected though by clicking
Now with your focus on the mixer panel
you'll see that my Snare sample has been routed to Channel 2
Here you'll see a whole mess of options running downward in a vertical line you'll see
Solo Control - allows you to here the sample by itself once tweaking..you use the right mouse button to switch between options
Pan Control - Left and Right
Volume Control - Self Explanatory
Send Control - allows you to route the track to another channel..as you notice the effects panels you can add only 8 effects, by routing to another channel you can double, triple that amount..
Really Cool Save - alllows you individualize the output of that channel, useful for midi or live recordings
Effects Panel - looking at the first photo you'll see i have the option to add fx open, after selecting the fx appear on either the panel 1 thru 8....i'll explain that later with a new foto.
Graphic Eq and Tri Band Eq.. a really lazy way to master your sample, but it makes a big difference for a quick touch up...
The rest of the buttons i missed are more advanced i am just sticking to the basic - when your ready you can read thru the Help option but do that once your comfortable with just the basics
EffectsPanel.jpg

Next Up I'll Be Posting Up A Walk Thru Of A Beat From Start To Finish
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?p=165346#post165346

veon

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
basic, you can learn that from the help, the bsics, the next, "makin a beat from start to finish" that you cant find in help, hope u come up with some good shit.

love the chick pic though, pervert :p i have th default grey background, some shit like that would be a distraction :D

members online