Frenchbeatz

Earsblower

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 98
LOL but yeah why does it have to be from France anyway?
Man... All this for that hahaha just because @OGBama said Croissant and Beret. That's not French Canadian... Sorry I guess my roots took over
Star Trek Kirk GIF

Earsblower

ILLIEN
The lead rapper sounded very "French from France" indeed. But that was the style back then in Quebec. Lots of emcees wanted to emulate MC Solaar, Sages Po and the likes.
Hmm not all... Dubmatique is one of the few only... May I introduce you to Sans Pression, Yvon Krevé, KCLMNOP, Muzion, Le Connaisseur.... And probably a lot of others that I forgot.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Hmm not all... Dubmatique is one of the few only... May I introduce you to Sans Pression, Yvon Krevé, KCLMNOP, Muzion, Le Connaisseur.... And probably a lot of others that I forgot.
Oh man I forgot about Sans Pression. I remember KCLMNOP. Dude got booed off the stage, it was great.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 254
I'm not from Quebec but I've lived in MTL for a long time (hence I'm quite familiar with the artists you mentioned). To me Sans Pression, YK, KC, Connaisseur that was a new era... emcees started incorporating a more traditional Quebec accent/slang (Joual in some instances) in their delivery and lyrics. That was the start of some call "Rap Queb", a style which still exists today. Although I like Dubmatique's first two albums a lot, I find them very close to the French (from France) aesthetic of the time... Soulful, quasi boom bap beats with "clean" flows so to speak. In a (relatively) recent interview with CKUT community radio, DJ Choice mentions the strong influence of MC Solaar on Disoul. Muzion, their body of work is a whole nother story (more eclectic, multilingual French/Creole/English approach).

@Fade KCLMNOP... oh that guy. He had a great 1st album if you ask me, not the strongest spitter but he could hold his own. But I guess his antics/issues outside of the music industry got the best of him and he stopped being productive.

Last edited:

Earsblower

ILLIEN
I'm not from Quebec but I've lived in MTL for a long time (hence I'm quite familiar with the artists you mentioned). To me Sans Pression, YK, KC, Connaisseur that was a new era... emcees started incorporating a more traditional Quebec accent/slang (Joual in some instances) in their delivery and lyrics. That was the start of some call "Rap Queb", a style which still exists today. Although I like Dubmatique's first two albums a lot, I find them very close to the French (from France) aesthetic of the time... Soulful, quasi boom bap beats with "clean" flows so to speak. In a (relatively) recent interview with CKUT community radio, DJ Choice mentions the strong influence of MC Solaar on Disoul. Muzion, their body of work is a whole nother story (more eclectic, multilingual French/Creole/English approach).

@Fade KCLMNOP... oh that guy. He had a great 1st album if you ask me, not the strongest spitter but he could hold his own. But I guess his antics/issues outside of the music industry got the best of him and he stopped being productive.
Well I think you might have some rights, but to me 2 years is not an era. And for real these guys were probably rapping at the same time but were just not having the same window or "air time" because Dubmatique and the likes were not using any cursing words and stuff. So in regards to when it became 'available/more famous' yes you are right it took a couple of years or so before having the rap queb became popular.

Regardless, not here to debate on that, both France and Quebec has a freaking nice Hip-Hop history and are also pretty different.

Now let's get a poutine !

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 254
Well I think you might have some rights, but to me 2 years is not an era. And for real these guys were probably rapping at the same time but were just not having the same window or "air time" because Dubmatique and the likes were not using any cursing words and stuff. So in regards to when it became 'available/more famous' yes you are right it took a couple of years or so before having the rap queb became popular.

Regardless, not here to debate on that, both France and Quebec has a freaking nice Hip-Hop history and are also pretty different.

Now let's get a poutine !
Gotcha, it's all subjective anyway... like "Who is the GOAT?" convos.

I don't eat dairy products, so I'll grab a serving of smoked meat and a cherry soda.