For those that really think they need a mic booth..

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
.. or anything else for that matter... just wanted to show whats gettin put on the radio... just 2 examples.. if anyone has anymore, please post them.. this is just to show, we (the producer) are our worst enemy sometimes... while we're nitpicking over sounds and equipment, hardware vs software, and why u should get this, but dont get that... the real money is bein made.. i know these might be poor examples to some, but to others, it might be useful.

da relic

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
This is an interesting topic. Although a booth really helps, is it ALWAYS necessary? How much of the vocals can be corrected in the mix? It's funny too because one of the first I ever learned about recording was never say "I'll fix it in the mix", LOL.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i happen to agree with u Fade.. but ever since technology has improved everything, and alot of stuff is corrected thru the computer, even a "simulated mic booth vocal" is prolly possible...its like u gotta throw certain rules out the window bcuz of this.. Cheef Keef's mic looks like my Rodes.. $200.. lol.. now i know also, a good mic can help, but i think we as producers want wat we want, and i think we're too critical on ourselves... i had to ease up a bit, otherwise i wont get anything done.

da relic

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
You need to meet certain conditions to grasp quality and that might be expensive but other than that, proper gear means less work. If you dont than your reasoning applies and it doesnt mean you can be less creative/productive.

Yes you can cut corners with software but recording the perfect take with a mic chain suited to the vocal's characters means you often dont have to do a lot to fix up. The way i look at it, if i need to do much processing/editing on the recorded material, you fucked up. If you dont have the proper monitoring environment than how can you be critical if you're not going to notice artifacts/distortions in sound. Dont mean to sound derrogative but making assumptions to what sounds good in such conditions is kinda random.

That being said, if you got knowledge, then often very good things can be had rather cheap. Upon certain level there's no escaping big pricetags for even the smallest setup (mastering).

The idea of a booth is to keep unwanted noises from your recording, its that simple. No need to explain why that is. It doesnt mean you "need" a fully treated room to record (to mix is different) as the most important thing is to keep your distance from the walls (ergo, prevent reflections coming back at the mic, often the ones coming from behind you).
Imo, the best thing you can do is to use bookshelves, recordshelves or blankets as diffusers placed @ 1/3 roomlength behind you. Heck, the 38% rule/guide might even apply and the SE reflection filters also do a good job.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
You need to meet certain conditions to grasp quality and that might be expensive but other than that, proper gear means less work. If you dont than your reasoning applies and it doesnt mean you can be less creative/productive.

Yes you can cut corners with software but recording the perfect take with a mic chain suited to the vocal's characters means you often dont have to do a lot to fix up. The way i look at it, if i need to do much processing/editing on the recorded material, you fucked up. If you dont have the proper monitoring environment than how can you be critical if you're not going to notice artifacts/distortions in sound. Dont mean to sound derrogative but making assumptions to what sounds good in such conditions is kinda random.

That being said, if you got knowledge, then often very good things can be had rather cheap. Upon certain level there's no escaping big pricetags for even the smallest setup (mastering).

The idea of a booth is to keep unwanted noises from your recording, its that simple. No need to explain why that is. It doesnt mean you "need" a fully treated room to record (to mix is different) as the most important thing is to keep your distance from the walls (ergo, prevent reflections coming back at the mic, often the ones coming from behind you).
Imo, the best thing you can do is to use bookshelves, recordshelves or blankets as diffusers placed @ 1/3 roomlength behind you. Heck, the 38% rule/guide might even apply and the SE reflection filters also do a good job.

Spot on.