FL Studio 6 Mixing vs. Sonar, Cubase??

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
My Illmuzik peeps - I currently have Sonar 4 and FL Studio 6. Lately I've just been using FL 6 to mix my tracks and I'm wondering if I'm losing sound quality by not using Sonar. I just find it so much easier to be lazy and not export everything out to Sonar.

Am I selling my mix "sound quality" short?

O

open mind

i do everything in fl studio.sequencers in general process the wave file the same way, the sequencer is not responsible for the audio quality its your sample library/VST/Soundcard and the man behind the mix.

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I mix in FL, like open mind said its the quality of the samples and effects.

I compose, then sequence the patterns, assign every thing to its own mixer insert, then I export to WAV and split the mixer mixer tracks. After I have tracked it out I reimport the audio and mix.

It sounds complicated but its real simple.

~NW~

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
....export to WAV and split the mixer mixer tracks. After I have tracked it out I reimport the audio and mix...
~NW~

Thanks Noble, what do you mean by "splitting the mixer mixer tracks?" Do you export the waves "dry" or with effects and then reimport? This is good stuff b/c this is at the essence of what I'm trying to better understand. b/c sometimes i've exported the waves with no effects into another sequencer (e.g., SONAR), but what your saying is that you import them back into FL and then assign each wave sample to a mxer track and then mix?

O

open mind

u should export them without any effects/compression and whatnot. just the dry sound.

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks Noble, what do you mean by "splitting the mixer mixer tracks?" Do you export the waves "dry" or with effects and then reimport? This is good stuff b/c this is at the essence of what I'm trying to better understand. b/c sometimes i've exported the waves with no effects into another sequencer (e.g., SONAR), but what your saying is that you import them back into FL and then assign each wave sample to a mxer track and then mix?

When that box pops up after you save the file (the rendering box), there is an option to split the tracks.

It splits what ever is assigned to that mixer insert from the master into its own file.

I export dry, adding effects are done at the mixing stage.

Let me break down what I do.

1. I compose the beat and sequence the patterns.

2. I give every individual sound its own mixer track, the pianos on its own track, hi-hats, kick whatever.

3. I export it as a WAV and chose "split mixer tracks" in the rendering options. That leaves me with all the individual sounds tracked out.

4. I re import the tracks and assign them to individual mixer tracks again and mix.

Hopefully you get what I'm saying. If not I can go into further detail :)

~NW~

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
When that box pops up after you save the file (the rendering box), there is an option to split the tracks....
~NW~

Ahh, I got it... I'm normally not this dense. I totally understand what you do. I guess your technique in FL is interesting since you can actually mix each track in FL as it is without exporting and re-importing to separate tracks. I'm guessing there are advantages to mixing down to wave samples (maybe you work w/ midi, soundfounts or something). Either way, this has been very helpful. Thanks Noble
peace

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I didn't mean to imply you were dense, its just hard to explain. Sorry if I came off like an ass.

Yeah I work with midi. Tracking down to separate files is better for performance. You don't have to run the VST generators and effects at the same time.

Its standard practice tracking out beats, but people usually use something like Cubase or PT to mix. I would mix it down in Audition if I was recording vocals, but if its for a beat CD or the net I mix in FL.

No technique is better than the other, its just what your more comfortable with.

~NW~

P

Prophecy

Fruity loops Is excellent when it comes to mixing you just got to have the right plugins to get the sound sounding crisp & real