Ethics

Aminimity

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Are there no Ethics Anymore?

To me Hip hop was created when the breaks in two records got flip back and forth. Hip hop is about breaks, hip hop is about records. People dont respect the ethics of this shit, you want to make beats go and find them, yourself.

I anyone one else here pissed about synth/drumachine crap and fake toy diggers who sample re-issuses like its ok?

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Aminimity said:
Are there no Ethics Anymore?

To me Hip hop was created when the breaks in two records got flip back and forth. Hip hop is about breaks, hip hop is about records. People dont respect the ethics of this shit, you want to make beats go and find them, yourself.

I anyone one else here pissed about synth/drumachine crap and fake toy diggers who sample re-issuses like its ok?

LOL its called evolution, the old skool stuff woz a revolution now its just evolving, its the 21st century so all sorts of music has become more electronic etc, i still feel some of the synth beats even thought im a sampler, its all part of hip hop as much as we like or dislike it ! we just have to be happy that hip hop is constantly evolving and not staying the same and getting stale !
it can't be 93 forever !

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
well, being that i do synth beats pretty damn well, i cant say that i am pissed. i suggest yuo learn to live with the fact that there is more then one method and more then one sound.

what does piss me off is closed minded purists who whine and complain about everyone else not doing things the way it USED to be done, or the way they choose to do it now.

i make synth beats that often leave people simply assuming that i sampled what i played out myself. that isnt an ego trip, im just pointing out that the quality of something has no bearing on how it was done. get over it.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
why are you people whining about that, i mean we should be happy that people that play their stuff out, its making them old music theory guys see that we can play our own music, i was watchin something on tv and dude did'nt even call us muscians, now don't get my wrong i respect the art of samplin but its time for a change and you need to come out that little rock your under and fuckin grow up geeze

Aminimity

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
these are the Xact response i thought yall would put up.

Dont get so defensive, 93 was a good year.
Evolution is good but there are to many herbs who dont respect digging and that old school style of making a beat. I am not saying your synth and drummachine stuff is wak on face, i am saying is that people who dont have respect for the old styles are wak.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
The way I see it, original, or re-issued, you're buying the record for what's on it. Not everyone has the money, nor the time to go digging everyday for those "original" pressings. Sure original pressings have appeal, but not really necessary to make a good beat. Respecting the "ethics" you listed just limits your possibilites. Like Cold said, keep an open mind.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
*rolls eyes....

you done with your rant yet? so you dont like people who "have no respect for the old school ways of doing things". you are entitled to that opinion, but that wasnt what you expressed in your original post. you said you were pissed at all these synth and drum machine beats. what ethics? who cares if its a reissue or not... thats what you expressed.

so, since your issue is people who do not respect the old school way, name me one person in hip hop who doesnt. i have yet to see ONE person who fits that bill. who is this fantom old school hater everyone is so mad at but can never name? because that guy is all by himself somewhere. everybody respects the architects. they may not care for the sound or style, they may "hate" on it and say that its past its time and its about different shit now, but they still respect those that came before them.

i swear, people are always bitching abuot these invisible, unkown, phantomhaters.... point the guy out, call his name out, fuck, something...

which is why i know you are backpeddling here.... because this guy who doesnt respect the old scho9ol ways doesnt exist; he is me, basically, he is the guy who just says "ima do this shit the way i see fit, ima just be myself" and by someone like me playing the keys and-gasp- even making beats out of synth sounds, not just organic ones- guys like you cant handle it for some lame ass reason.. guys like you think that guyys like me dont respect the way shit was done 20 years ago just because i do it differently, but that couldnt be further from the damn truth to be honest. tell me i am wrong here. i am NOT because i see this time and time again, out of the blue someone just gets up in arms over the fact that SOME OF US prefer to compose from scratch.

anyhow i said my two cents, im wasting time now, im just going to go play a few piano chords over a drum line, drop some strings and percussion over it, add a bassline with my new trilogy bass vst and call it a night.

E

Equality 7-2521

Aminimity: seriously dude, its good to know where Hiphop started but if you really understood what Hiphop was all about, you wouldnt place such restricting limitations on it.

I spin wax and dig in the crates but I also know that there is more to it than that.

Wake Up.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Damn I cant even top truths post ill just use markn as an example

I play the keys, MarkN digs ,
I look up to outkast, MarkN looks up to DJ preimere
I play riffs, Mark flips samples
I love hip hop, MarkN loves hip hop

there is more then one way to do things, i never hate the way another man makes music(sampled sythed,looped, etc..) Casue at the end of the day i will do me and they will do them

class...

Aminimity

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
*rolls eyes....

you done with your rant yet? so you dont like people who "have no respect for the old school ways of doing things". you are entitled to that opinion, but that wasnt what you expressed in your original post.

True, i am detracting from what i was trying to get across, none of this was supose to sound so aggressive, i am trying to create a discusion. Basically i feel sort of violated by the way hip hop production has changed.......

I dig up my drums samples ect. because i feel like its the mark of a good producer and its part of hip hop. Theses days people buy reissuses and buy drums off the internet. It feels disrespectful to me because it makes it too easy. Synth producers are a dime a dozen and are rarly memerable (Think of your influences they were beat diggers, think of classic hiphop tracks they were made ground up from vinly). not to say that all are void of any talent what so ever. I like Marks beats, I like Classics beats, and yes i even like Truths beats. Basicly i want to know if it bothers anyone at all that hip hop production takes so little effort anymore.
I mean in a vacum, what sounds more respectable to you buying prepacked sound for you to put together, or to search and learn and progress toward sounds that can be arranged.

No hard feelings

E

Equality 7-2521

hiphop production takes as much effort as you want to put into it. its pretty straight forward to me.

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Your Saying Synth PRoducers are a Dime a Dozen and Know one's Influences Were Synth PRoducers Well Simply Put The Technology Wasint What it Was Back When Hiphop First Started Out So Obviously There would be a Lack of Good Synth Producers . And who Cares If Its to Easy to Make Beats Now and You can Buy Every little Sound You Need The Way I see it is Survival Of the Fit Only The Strong Survive . So Basically IF your Spending all your Time putting all this Effort Into Tweaking This and Tweaking That and Your Beat Isint as Good As the Guy who Bought all his Sounds and Made a Hot Beat Then Who is gonna Care That it took you 10 hrs and the other guy 2 hrs ?

If its Hot Its Hot if its NOt its Not

C

Carpe Diem

classic said:
Damn I cant even top truths post ill just use markn as an example

I play the keys, MarkN digs ,
I look up to outkast, MarkN looks up to DJ preimere
I play riffs, Mark flips samples
I love hip hop, MarkN loves hip hop

there is more then one way to do things, i never hate the way another man makes music(sampled sythed,looped, etc..) Casue at the end of the day i will do me and they will do them

class...

good post.....

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Shit! This thread is hostile! lol
And Cold is still true to his name...

Anyways, I know people how dont like synth music, and think the only true hiphop was the hiphop made back in the days! They hate on everything that dont sound like the Wu or Group Home... But, for every guy I know how thinks that.. there are also peole how thinks otherwise, and other who like both...

I cant please everyone!
I should try to!
DJ PRemier is tight, he makes tight beats
Pharrel is also tight, he makes tight beats

Wheter you dig for vinyls, that you buy racks and synths, that you sample off re issues or original, if it's tight, well it's tight

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Aminimity said:
True, i am detracting from what i was trying to get across, none of this was supose to sound so aggressive, i am trying to create a discusion. Basically i feel sort of violated by the way hip hop production has changed.......

I dig up my drums samples ect. because i feel like its the mark of a good producer and its part of hip hop. Theses days people buy reissuses and buy drums off the internet. It feels disrespectful to me because it makes it too easy. Synth producers are a dime a dozen and are rarly memerable (Think of your influences they were beat diggers, think of classic hiphop tracks they were made ground up from vinly). not to say that all are void of any talent what so ever. I like Marks beats, I like Classics beats, and yes i even like Truths beats. Basicly i want to know if it bothers anyone at all that hip hop production takes so little effort anymore.
I mean in a vacum, what sounds more respectable to you buying prepacked sound for you to put together, or to search and learn and progress toward sounds that can be arranged.

No hard feelings

*cough*BULLSHIT*cough

again, it comes down to the fact that others dont do it yuor way, there is no way around that. but i am just going to use yuor own argument against you...

what sounds more respectable? digging up music that countless people had to spend countless hours to write, learn to play, using countless session players- full horn sections, wholeorchestras, already mixed and engineered with gear that costed thousands upon thousands of dollars, and then rearranging what SOMEBODY ELSE spent all THEIR hard work doing?

or sitting down and composing something yourself and figuring out counter melodies to everything else, to engineering yuor own drums from those presets, or FUCK it, even using the presets as is. how about that? by your argument, composing wins hands down, doesnt it?

and seriously, its not even about attacking sampling- fuck we been through this a million times- but to be honest composing is not so easy, presets or no presets great composed beats require good skill just as great sampled beats require good skill, simple as that.

because, preset, store bought drums or not, if what you build around them is shit, then, well, the beat will be shit.

you have no legit argument, only personal frustration because of a percieved (read: prideful of your digging) lack of work ethic by those who employ different methods. that isnt the case.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Look im do the same as you on 99% of my 99% of the sounds will be sampled ! thats how I do things, thats how I choose to do things i prefer MY music to sound like premier, pete rock, 9th wonder, the sampled type of hip hop but im not gonna feel hurt by people who choose to do it a different way ! variety is the spice of life and all that bollox but ya know, if you like classics tracks and you like colds track and you should they are both talented producers then wots the big deal its not like they knock those tracks out in 10 mins !
INFACT what i will say is classic who mainly makes 'synth' beats woz actually surprised at how quick i could make beats up through sampling so i don't think lack of work can be used against people who choose not to sample !
I love spending a day going thru dusty records its not everyones idea of fun but should i then exclude them from hip hop ? NO its for everyone, as long as they respect the roots, you have to know where its been to know where its going then i don't have a problem !

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
Damn, It's hard to say anything that hasnt been said already.

Hip Hop is free man. Things change. Whether you accept the change and keep banging tracks out or whether you waste your time complaining on hip hop message boards is on you. All that matters in the end is how it sounds. Who gives a shit how "easy" it was for them to get the samples or what not...

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
this thread while devoid of educational worth has had great entertainment value. thx guys !!

1 more message just to detract from the opening statemnt. the first time a song was sampled (i am talking terms here as yes dj's had been juggling for a quite a while already) was kurtis blows If I Ruled The World. It should be added too this only came becasuse of large label support which provided the resources to use a fairlight sampler (back then very expensive). So you know just to push the point alot of the bigger records leading up to the mid 80s where done with live musicians (synths etc. cough cough eh the message cough cough some more) (pre affordable drum machines and the advent of midi).

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
you know what dude kinda reminds me of my drunk ass uncle, "yall don't make real music all yall do is sit their on ya computer and press buttons, back in my day that was real music when i played jazz, we had real instruments real drummers and shit, we did it the OLD FASHION WAY" well things change buddy and sometimes change is good especially for hip hop don't get me wrong samplin is cool and all but now we are proud to say we got real musicians that knows how to play the keys and stuff if hip hop did'nt change into that, hip hop would have been what all the people said at the beginning of it it would have been a FAD, and would have died out.

just my fuckin 2 cents

X,

members online