Eq

x\SoopaD/x

ill o.g.
I've searched around and dsidn't find much on here. I have my samples chopped, but this stands in my way. For instance, I want some horns to stand out , but there's a guitar riff that I want to get rid/tone it down. Fuck, is there anything out there that can help me out? Articles?

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
There's a nice EQ guide here:

http://www.mojopie.com/mix.html

But other than that. use a parametric EQ, and add gain with a narrow bandwidth until you hear what you want to emphasize. then use another band and do the same thing for the part you want to de-emphasize except you'll cut instead of adding gain.

Really what you want to do though is get familiar with frequency ranges and how they affect the sound, and then EQ will become second nature.

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
brass is usually higher than guitars, and you get a nice presence in the 7-10kHz range that you won't hear in a guitar (only the string plucking or the high grunge of distortion). Try to find an upper range that the horns sit on and the guitar doesn't. Make a notch filter so that one frequency is gained, with a narrow bandwidth, then sweep the frequency back and forth until you find that spot. Then, tone it down a little and fatten it up (broaden the bandwidth) until you have found a way to make the horns more present. You'll never get the guitars completely out, but if you bring up the essence of where the horns sit, then keep it somewhat lower in the mix, you won't really pay attention to the guitars.

members online