Eq & mastering

• beat this! voting starts in...

blak flame

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I wanted to know what kind of eq settings y'all use on your beats...and if there is anybody who masters their own shit what do you do to it.

light

Producer
ill o.g.
you should download a copy of "studio buddy". its a free program that will suggest ways to record and treat different parts of your beat depening on what instrument it is.. take the piano, it will give you guidlines to use on how to place mics to achieve the best sound, and also tell you how to pan and eq and all sorts of goodies. it will tell you the same for drums and for guitar and so forth. that is in the mixing stage anywayz. if your wondering on how to apply eq to your entire track after all the mixing is done then ill let one of the other folks on here cover that.

you can find studio buddy here http://download.com.com/3000-2170-10122113.html?tag=lst-0-13

E

Equality 7-2521

i eq with a 10 band graphic eq. i set it at like 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.......from low end to high end. hope that makes sense.

and im gonna start compressing shit in Reason now, which is easy as fuck. you just turn a couple of knobs till it sounds sweet.

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
first, I pre-eq every track seperately...

Bass instruments get bass and mid instruments get mid of course etc etc

Keep the levels low, so the song sounds like it has a good flat response...

after all is said and done, I listen to make sure the levels are good and do the mixdown. Then I load up cool edit pro or wavelab and do a dynamics processing that will compress everything over -.5db to allow all of the file to be pushing as loud as can be by pushing about 6db amplify at the same time, and finally a hard limiter to keep the music from clipping.

You don't want to do any equalizing on the final proccessed file because you could cause distortion and also, the eqing should left to the person listening. but that's about it.

blak flame

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
good lookin' out...i need some suggestions because i have never used any eq or compression or anything like that on my beats, but i'm goin to start.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I have been experimenting with the eq's on snares and seeing how you can get that snappy snare and also the full snare thud....equ is tricky....I want to add to this question if I can, has anyone mastered the art of spatial/stereo panning in a mix?....you know a good mix were all of the instruments sit right in the mix......I was listening to some Tupac instrumentals from back in the day and also some Dre.....I am amazed how well mixed and separated the tracks are, its so good the beat could have been wack but the mix was on point enuff it wouldn't matter....also the drums are soo fuggin clear and punchy in the mix and the bass never overpowers the kick......but I will tell you since I have had my new triton the Tube amp definitely have convinced me that these things are heavily used during a professional mastering.....there is one setting that give fullness and warmth to the drums like you might find on a pro mix...and another that adds punch I mean fugging hit you in the chest punch...this also had me wondering whether this is the piece in the puzzle besides compression I always heard about tube amps....(not the plugins guys but the real deal 500-2000$ tube amps)....I'm just trying to concentrate on eq'ing mastering too....and I have seen those posts that give you the whole settings thing about the Hertz and limits in reference to 0, I want to hear from someone that has excellent mixes and a few hands on tips if there's anyone that might want to share what they do with an example......

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
my favourite part of making a beat is tweakin the eq, you can see the transition of a hi hat from a muddy one to a crispy one, plus the bass drum or man, i luv doin it.

members online