Ensoniq ASR-10

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What's the deal with asr-10? All of the hottest producers right now are using this keyboard?
Kanye,Cool & Dre,Timbaland,Alchemist the list goes on.Somebody enlighten me on the piece of equipment?

I

I.Q.

It's said to be one of the best sampling keyboards ever.

The effects are ill and the filters sound warm as hell! The sampler section has some very advanced features not even featured in todays samplers, like the fact that you can sample a sequence into the ASR, chop it up and assign each and every chop to a seperate key without wasting any memory.

My friend sold his 60 because of this. He said he was tired of sampling the same loop to every pad just to get different pieces of the sample.

Anyways f*ck Scratch Magazine! Ever since they started printing them sh*ts every little 13 year old beatmaker and his momma wanted to buy one to be just like Kanye or Timbaland! That sh*ts messing up the economy man! I've never seen ASR prices this high, it's outrageous!

Aight I'll quit b*tching now cuz I know I be copping every issue that comes out.

But yeah the ASR is a great keyboard but you might be better off getting a newer sampler for financial reasons. The ASR-10 can break your pockets if you need to repair it. The sh*t weighs like 60 pounds! And my friend had some over-heating problems with his.

Damn...Marijuana's a hell of a drug!

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Advice!!!!

Im looking at a setup like this:
Korg 32xd digital workstation or mackie onyx 1640 analog mixer w/tracktion 2
Ensoniq ASR-10
Roland Fantom X8 or Korg Trition Extreme
Tapco S8 monitors
Sample cd's & vinyls

Do I real need the asr-10 and another keyboard workstation? I'm not really interested in the mpc,I'm mostly concerned about sound and effects because thats were
drums or samples become creative with.Do I really need something to compliment the asr-10 or would another workstation be a good idea. Let me know what you think
I.Q. said:
It's said to be one of the best sampling keyboards ever.

The effects are ill and the filters sound warm as hell! The sampler section has some very advanced features not even featured in todays samplers, like the fact that you can sample a sequence into the ASR, chop it up and assign each and every chop to a seperate key without wasting any memory.

My friend sold his 60 because of this. He said he was tired of sampling the same loop to every pad just to get different pieces of the sample.

Anyways f*ck Scratch Magazine! Ever since they started printing them sh*ts every little 13 year old beatmaker and his momma wanted to buy one to be just like Kanye or Timbaland! That sh*ts messing up the economy man! I've never seen ASR prices this high, it's outrageous!

Aight I'll quit b*tching now cuz I know I be copping every issue that comes out.

But yeah the ASR is a great keyboard but you might be better off getting a newer sampler for financial reasons. The ASR-10 can break your pockets if you need to repair it. The sh*t weighs like 60 pounds! And my friend had some over-heating problems with his.

Damn...Marijuana's a hell of a drug!

ill o.g.
The ASR10 is just a sampler, so if you got the money and you need synth sound sounds then another workstation would be good. But in my opinion you should just get a triton rack, or a fantom rack instead of the keyboard version. It will save you space and money.

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have a ASR-10 and its does have a very good sound, but I prefer my MPC 4000 to it, but if thats all you can afford then I suggest that you look into it. The learning curb is pretty steep but once you get inside of it you will enjoy what you can do. There is no screen to see your sample its all done but ear, so make sure you sample the dopest part of the song for easy chopping. As far as the filters they are some of the best you can get but the MPC 4000 has it beat in that catagory. But as far as effects and samper the ASR is the king, but you will need something else to sequnce it, the sequencers is not the best in the world.

ill o.g.
bhunt said:
but you will need something else to sequnce it, the sequencers is not the best in the world.

the sequencers fine. just like you said about the learning curve. maybe you just didnt take the time to learn the seq fully. But the sequencer can do what you need it to, its just a different recording process for makin the sequences then the mpc or other shit you might use.

I

I.Q.

Loose Cannon said:
the sequencers fine. just like you said about the learning curve. maybe you just didnt take the time to learn the seq fully. But the sequencer can do what you need it to, its just a different recording process for makin the sequences then the mpc or other shit you might use.
Yup. I find the sequencer simple and intuitive some people are just lazy and dont wanna take the time to learn it.
Im pretty sure the 4000 has it beat as far as sequencing goes but you don't need another sequencer along with the ASR.
I own the EPS-16+ and I get by using only that sequencer. Bhunt you really feel the 4000 has the ASR beat as far filters go? I've never used a 4000 but a lot of 4000 owners I've talked to say the ASR has better filters.

Active-1

ill o.g.
Selling my ASR-10 was the worst thing I've done. I use the ASR-X Pro, but it's damn sure not the same. I you can get an ASR-10, BUY IT!!! It is the best sampler ever made IMO.

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
Loose Cannon said:
The ASR10 is just a sampler, so if you got the money and you need synth sound sounds then another workstation would be good. But in my opinion you should just get a triton rack, or a fantom rack instead of the keyboard version. It will save you space and money.

That is partialy true. Like Loose Cannon said, the ASR-10 is a sampler. That's it's main function. But it is a keyboard as well. It just doesn't have onboard sounds. You have to load them in the 8 instruments banks provided on the board. These sounds come from Ensoniq and Akai CD Roms as well as floppies. I've got quite a few CD Roms with some hot sounds on them. A lot of sick synth sounds (If you know where to look). Basically, the ASR-10 is a blank slate once you turn it on and load the OS. You've got to load sounds into it. That's where the expence comes in. Buying sounds for a keyboard may or may not benifit you depending on your needs and your budget.

The beauty of this board is the ability to filter your samples. This beast was designed to really freak samples. Add effects, filter highs, lows, mids, whatever. The MPC can't do all that. It is what it is. It samples with some filtering and chopping (I love being able to SEE the waveform which the ASR cannot do). You can really make sounds come to life with the ASR-10. Sequencer wise though, it can't compare to the MPC in my opinion. It's just so much mor intuitive.

I am blessed to have both with is a very dangerous combination. It was cool to see that Kanye has them both too.

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Another ASR-10 Question

It is possible to sample my VST & VSTi soft synths into the asr-10 and sequence them in the asr-10,if so how do I do it? Do I need to use a vst chainer with a midi keyboard or something else.Somebody please help!!!!!!

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
I have the fantom Rack and i have wayyy more filtering abilities with samples etc.. then the ASR ever had.

DOnt get me wrong, the ASR is a good peice of gear if you already got it, but its old technology and IMO isent worth the price at all....

THere is stuff that can do the same thing in more, people are just buying the shit casue of the hype.

With my MPC & my fantom rack i can chop samples on my mpc, and tranfer samples back and forth to my fantom rack via CF card. THe fantom rack has CRAZY filters and limitless possiblitites. THe fantom XR rack has a full fleged sampler so u can go crazy.

its 2005 not 1993.

class....

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I.Q. said:
Yup. I find the sequencer simple and intuitive some people are just lazy and dont wanna take the time to learn it.
Im pretty sure the 4000 has it beat as far as sequencing goes but you don't need another sequencer along with the ASR.
I own the EPS-16+ and I get by using only that sequencer. Bhunt you really feel the 4000 has the ASR beat as far filters go? I've never used a 4000 but a lot of 4000 owners I've talked to say the ASR has better filters.

Yeah its hard to admit to it, because I was a ASR user 1st, but when it got down to using them. The 4k was give me much more low end when it came to making a bassline out of a sample and the 4k has way more options. The 4k doesn't get that many props in that area, but Its a winner there.

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
classic said:
I have the fantom Rack and i have wayyy more filtering abilities with samples etc.. then the ASR ever had.

DOnt get me wrong, the ASR is a good peice of gear if you already got it, but its old technology and IMO isent worth the price at all....

THere is stuff that can do the same thing in more, people are just buying the shit casue of the hype.

With my MPC & my fantom rack i can chop samples on my mpc, and tranfer samples back and forth to my fantom rack via CF card. THe fantom rack has CRAZY filters and limitless possiblitites. THe fantom XR rack has a full fleged sampler so u can go crazy.

its 2005 not 1993.

class....

Yes you have way more fitlering options, but the ASR will cut with its filters wayy better thatn the fantom and I have yet to see a until with effects beat out the ASR in the effects department expect for dedicated effects procesors. DOn't get me wrong the Roland has some of the best effects out, but I prefer the ASR effects

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
JKIEYZ said:
It is possible to sample my VST & VSTi soft synths into the asr-10 and sequence them in the asr-10,if so how do I do it? Do I need to use a vst chainer with a midi keyboard or something else.Somebody please help!!!!!!

Yes you can. You patch your sounds coming from the outs on the VST into the L-R inputs of the ASR, play your sequences and sample away! More questions on this, PM me dogg!!
Of course, you can sample your own seqeunces in the ASR and add effects or dirty that junk all up.

JKIEYZ

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks For The Advice

classic said:

its 2005 not 1993.

class....

Good looking classic on your response bout the asr-10,right now I'm caught being deciding on logic pro 7 or the mpc 1000 or 2000xl and the fantom rack? What you think?

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
JKIEYZ said:
Good looking classic on your response bout the asr-10,right now I'm caught being deciding on logic pro 7 or the mpc 1000 or 2000xl and the fantom rack? What you think?

U can still use a ASR-10 just throw a sound module wit it

kojo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
"Im looking at a setup like this:
Korg 32xd digital workstation or mackie onyx 1640 analog mixer w/tracktion 2
Ensoniq ASR-10
Roland Fantom X8 or Korg Trition Extreme
Tapco S8 monitors
Sample cd's & vinyls"

i think theres a LOT of redundancy here. if you want a keyboard, i would take the triton extreme to start out with along with the monitors, mixer, and vinyl, no need for 4 boards. the extreme has great sounds, and it samples, its an asr-10 on steroids. its also easy as hell to use and has a touch screen. keep in mind you still need a good audio interface and DAW to record what you do. you can add on the asr-10 rack and a fantom rack later instead of the keyboard versions since you wont need the keys or the sequencers, and youll save a ton of money.

the thing (hype) about the asr-10 is most of those big name cats that "use" them started out well over a decade ago when that was the thing to have aside from an mpc or an sp1200. today's workstations and software alone do what the asr does and more, take a look at what a soft-sampler like Mach 5 and Kontakt 2 can do, its amazing. add to the fact that youll usually see an asr-10 being used in conjunction with an mpc due to the mpc having the superior sequencer. the asr does have a great sound due to those convertors and that may be reason enough for you to cop one so if you go that route as your first piece of gear then i still suggest the rack version but buy an mpc like the 1000 or if youre on a budget a DAW like cubase to use with it and get a midi controller.