Dunno if this happens to anyone else, but you ever noticed when working with MC's....

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Makes perfect sense man.
Matter fact, even though I dont spit...in the past when I used to write more - what I would do was leave the beat on a 4bar and just write to it cuz for some reason it made it easier. Something about an endless loop just inspired me more.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
man, i'm working with an artist now, and all the beats that he wants to flow to are the ones that i consider "unfinished." just something i laid down while trying to catch a vibe. couldn't think of anything so i just save them for later. i messed around and let him dig through my folders and that's all he picked out. pissed me off, but hey, what can you do?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Sell them!

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
Way too many artists like the beats I dont like & throwaway. I agree w/ that lion-ucs said. I maybe too deep in my own world & detached from the performers. So much that i may not know what performers actually want. lol...but i really hate when people watch me work.

jrbeats5

ill o.g.
It does happen alot thats usually because every1 is different. You may make a beat thats not your steez but to someone else its their style and fits them perfectly.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Well, with the internet the way it is....we don't have to work side by side, anymore...you can just ichat it up or something similar....the artist you work with doesn't have to live near you or you don't have to travel just to work with your artist....

Back then, of course it was different, you had to pretty much work side by side....the internet took away the whole personal aspect of the music.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Lol...i got this one guy, Ill give him 10 tracks then he'll come the the studio and Ill be choping something up on abelton and he'll just go nuts for the 2 bar loop! Like " mannnn bez you hiding all the good beats from me!"

What I do with him his let him go off on the loop and later on in the week Ill have my keys guy come and and we'll build off his vibe...Ill upload the latest we did next showcase, you guys will dig it.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Back then, of course it was different, you had to pretty much work side by side....the internet took away the whole personal aspect of the music.
Word, I can see that for sure, kinda sux really...Maybe Im old school though, cuz I prefer to only work on a 1-on-1 basis in person. Internet collabs are cool n' all cuz you can connect with folks that you would otherwise never be able to, but getting your chops up in the studio with MC's, vocalists, & studio musicians, etc. is a whole different tangent and the main the part I enjoy about engineering/recording....

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
I think by working 1on1, both producer and artist get a better feel of the music and it is more fun that way...because it's not just 100% work...the side convos can spur new ideas and also create a rapport that leaves a lasting impression when it comes to future projects....

For example

JDSinger

ill o.g.
The thing is - whatever inspires the writer is what they will go with. We're talking about taste - which is ridiculously subjective. I've given up being shocked why some instrumentals are considered good and constantly used while so many others that seem superior - to me - are left forgotten and untouched.

Step Soprano

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i just sold 5 beats to someone that were 3 years old that i hate, but they liked em all

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
from the emcee standpoint, less is more. The emcee needs to fit comfortably so that the producer/beat maker and emcee compliment each other. I like to take my time and soak up the beat and put my 110% to it, but if too much is going on, I lose interest. As Ex said, we are weird creatures...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Naw that makes sense though man...Im starting to think that in regards to more complex arrangements, its probably best to do that later in post production once all vox have been cut and everybodies happy with their verses, etc.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Word....That's why I'm such the beast that I am.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
I was surprised the 1st couple of times it happened. I'm one of these people I can care less about the artist because 9 times outta 10 they will never be on the same page and I'm not one who has time to search for that artist either. So i've had the "easy money" mentality when it comes to artist.

I will say it does shock me when I send music to tv companies and they pick a really basic,lame of the wall track because you would think they want the the best from you representing whatever it is they are promoting.

I guess it all comes down to taste and what is needed for the project