Drum Loop Eq/Mixing Help.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Anybody have any tips when it comes down to Eqing and mixing a drumloop with your session? I've been playing around with a few loops but they sound a lil flat. How would I go about mixing the individual drum sounds (Kick, Snare, Hats ect) If they are all part of one audio region?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
post a sample

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Anybody have any tips when it comes down to Eqing and mixing a drumloop with your session? I've been playing around with a few loops but they sound a lil flat. How would I go about mixing the individual drum sounds (Kick, Snare, Hats ect) If they are all part of one audio region?

I don't use logic but maybe there is a way of doing it...What I do is use an analyzer so I can "see" the exact freqs. of the entire drum pattern as they hit, then make my changes on the eq while watching how it effects the audio using the analyzer... for example...I know that my hats & cymbals will be on the high end, my snare and toms will be from low highs -down to- my high lows and my kick will be the lowest on the analyzer, then adjust to get the desired sound. I do that ALOT and it works really good for me.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You gotta cut it (the loop) up So you have the indi hits

Word. I was wondering if it would be sonically correct if I eq an entire loop in opposed to choppin everything up.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't use logic but maybe there is a way of doing it...What I do is use an analyzer so I can "see" the exact freqs. of the entire drum pattern as they hit, then make my changes on the eq while watching how it effects the audio using the analyzer... for example...I know that my hats & cymbals will be on the high end, my snare and toms will be from low highs -down to- my high lows and my kick will be the lowest on the analyzer, then adjust to get the desired sound. I do that ALOT and it works really good for me.

Sounds interesting. You use waves right?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Sounds interesting. You use waves right?

Yeah but I use the MUtilities Ananlyzer. Strada posted a free VST download link to the software, give me a second and i'll upload a pic pf it.

This is an actual drum loop only...

[URL="

Same drum loop using Waves...

[URL="

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I would definitely chop a loop, this way you lessen the chance of compromising some of the sound quality of the other sounds in the included loop.....

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I think he's talking about a straight drum loop with no other instruments in the sample.

If I were using a sample with other instruments in it then yeah chop the drums out, but if you're using a drum loop then there's no need to chop it unless you're changing the pattern. The best way is like Nnxt was saying, basically create your own pattern and then you'll have 100% control.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
^ that's what I was gearing towards....I mean...it's not common to be able to get a good mix for a kick/snare/hi-hat at the same time....I'm not saying it's possible...but it's not something you come across every day.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Man you didn't mess with EQ2 that much when you were using FL, I'm telling you, that EQ is a beast! I've had people ask me how did I eliminate certain elements of a chop without compromising the sample. That thing is wicked.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
All Multiband everything for cpu efficiency. Separate into separate channels for ultimate control. Use a filter wit a steep slope (12 or 24, which ever sounds good(If I remember correctly)) to get clean separation. You may also want to duplicate a sound a process it several different ways for better results. Dont be afraid to do the most.

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
All Multiband everything for cpu efficiency. Separate into separate channels for ultimate control. Use a filter wit a steep slope (12 or 24, which ever sounds good(If I remember correctly)) to get clean separation. You may also want to duplicate a sound a process it several different ways for better results. Dont be afraid to do the most.

This.
I've done this.
Of course, It's not the only thing I've done before, but that indeed gives you the most control.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks Everyone. I think Im going to have to just chop the drum loop and separate everything. Eqing the entire loop sounds good but not exactly what I thought it was gonna be. The drums still clashed with instruments in other parts of the arrangement.

@Dacalion Yo Im gonna look for that analyzer looks pretty dope.

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Word. This seems cool. I like the way Logics Analyzer is built into the Channel EQ but I dont use Logics EQ since I got Waves. Im gonna use this today. Im gonna try and get this Beat mixed today and ill post it up here. My speakers are still packed up so I have to use Headphone Monitors only lets hope it comes out decent lol.

members online